“Great Neighborhood Upscale Mexican” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Geneva, IL
“Great Neighborhood Upscale Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We've eaten here many times. the food is always excellent and interesting. It's an upscale Mexican, best experienced as tapas, although it needn't be, entrees are large enough for a single serving, but much more interesting to share - be sure to order the pork belly risotto!
The folks who own the establishment are warm and welcoming, and have a great memory for returning guests.
Service can be spotty, in that some of the servers are outstanding, paying great attention to their tables, great knowledge of the menu and constantly suggesting items to try, while we've also had servers who were average, basically just taking an order and serving it. Since they're relatively new, I'm sure this will improve over time.
The seating is very basic, not particularly comfortable - it's home-made, probably to minimize initial costs. But, I'm sure that, as the business takes off and budget allows, it will be upgraded at some point in the future.
All in all, it's a very homey, comfortable place. Kind of an oasis in a residential neighborhood. The food is excellent and the owners and staff are wonderful.
Definitely worth the visit, guarantee you'll be back!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Exceptional Food & No Wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Have had lunch here several times over the last few months. Food is consistently very good; Altiro's tapas style menu selections offer a great mix of tastes and textures. Their salmon, tilapia and chicken tacos are fantastic! Speed of service is inconsistent, but the food is worth the wait. The restaurant is not busy on Sunday for bruch or lunch, so its a great time to go on the spur of the moment.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wheaton, Illinois
“A winner! I am still dreaming of that martini...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I went here this weekend and were very impressed. It was highly recommended by our friend, and she was right. The cucumber martini (el pepino?) was seriously out of this world. I sucked down two in a row pretty quickly, and was in awe of how good it was. The skirt steak tacos were decent, but the garlic shrimp taco with cheese was far better. Their corn dish (I can't remember the names of any of these dishes) was very tasty, although a bit on the salty side. The raw tuna tacos were very good. Our server was very good. A serious bonus is that they take reservations. I love Bien Trucha, but I don't like waiting forever for a table. We will definitely be back.

• Visited September 2013
West Chicago, Illinois
“Damn good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I took my wife out for her 30th birthday with our 1 year old daughter. We had all intentions on heading to Bien Trucha (been there many times before), but the hostess informed us that they don't have high chairs. Disappointing! So my wife suggested we try Altiro because it was close by and she heard good things about it. I'm glad we tried it out because we a great experience. The food was delicious and drinks were superb and they were also kid friendly. Don't wait two hours for a table at Bien Trucha when this place is down the street...give it a shot, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited September 2013
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Loved everything about it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Very creative menu. The Al Alambre was amazing! Skirt steak with chorizo. The avocado/tomatillo salsa was perfect. The tilapia tacos had just the right heat. Service was impeccable. Can't wait to go back!

Visited August 2013