“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Batavia, Illinois
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This was our first time to this restaurant. We were greeted immediately with a friendly smile. It was on a Friday night so there was a bit of a wait. It is a very small place - seating 30-40 persons.Our waiter was friendly and helpful. We ordered the traditional margaritas which were very tasty. I ordered the carne asada torta. It was delicious but I thought perhaps there could have been some rice and beans on the plate. My husband ordered pork tacos - there were 3 small tacos on the plate along with a side of rice and beans. While the food was very good the portions were small. If you are really hungry you would be disappointed with the amount of food for the price. It is not economical.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, IL
“Awesome food & service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Go here! Guacamole is fresh and flavorful (even the chips are great)!

Whether you want traditional tacos & burritos or more unique flavors - this is the place to go!

Had beef tips, with bacon, peppers, melted cheese served with guac and toppings and flour tortillas to build the most flavorful soft tacos I've ever had!

Can't wait to come back!

“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Best authentic Mexican food in the Genevs area. We have been going for years and have never been disappointed. Very small restaurant, so go early.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The rudest owner/host we have ever encounted.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The owner/host sat my daughters and me at 5:50 after I told him my husband was on his way. Over the next 10 minutes he came up to me not once, not twice, but three times ending by telling me he would never seat me again, that I had lost him a party of 5 and accused me of lying about my husband parking the car! What!? My husband was coming in on the train. Though the kids and I had ordered an appetizer, bottled drinks, a margarita and our food and my husband walked in a few minutes later, that was our cordial treatment. $88 and 40 minutes later we were gone. We've gone there since they opened, brought and recommended it to many friends, had a refrigerator cold entree in the past and pork tough as shoe leather last night, Mr. Crabbypants will not have us complicating his little six table dive ever again. To be fair I think he would make a great busboy at Denny's.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Illinois
“Excellent little authentic Mexican restaurant in downtown Geneva”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

El Molcajete is a pleasant surprise. It is in a little "hole in the wall" in downtown Geneva. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is delicious (fish tacos and tortas). The salsa is excellent and the home made hot sauce is a must!

• Visited September 2013