“Wonderful weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Oak Forest, Illinois
“Wonderful weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

April 2013.
My daughter and I wanted to get away for the weekend and wanted to be within 2hrs of home. My sister lived in the area of the hotel and she recommended it to us. We stayed for two nights at the Herrington during spring break.

As we pulled up to the hotel, we were a bit concerned by the outside appearance of the hotel.The hotel looked a little worn, and in desperate need of a coat of paint. It is in a great location, right next to the Fox Valley River. Parking is right there, no long walks to your car and it is free.

We were greeted warmly by their receptionist. Our check in went smoothly and they escorted us up to our beautiful room. Once we walked into our room, we felt right at home. The decor is beautiful, quaint and attention to details. The bathroom was spotless and the hot tub is one of the best I have ever had in a actual hotel room (as apposed to being in a spa portion of a hotel). I stayed at the Beverly Hilton about a year ago and they had the same tiles and bathroom fixtures. The Herrington Hotel bathroom had a better tub and it definitely had more room. There was even a vanity table with a makeup mirror with a comfortable chair. My teenage daughter and I were in heaven. The towels were soft and actual bath towels, not like those small towels other hotels "call" bath towels. We did not go to the spa, but I am guessing it must be nice because everything seems to be in good order at the Herrington.

The staff gave us a lot of suggestions of things to see and do while in St. Charles. There are many nice shops, theatres and walking trails nearby. The town itself is quaint and has some great restaurants. There is a shop unlike I have ever seen called "The Little Traveler" and it is a "must do" for most women. Their website is: Thelittletraveler.com. There is a Chocolate Restauranat, Starbucks, Cupcake shops, antiques and much more to see within walking distance of the Herrington Hotel/Spa.

At approx. 7pm there was a tap at our door. Everyone gets warm cookies and milk a night, what a nice touch. Great idea, but the cookies were not very tasty. However, we were very grateful for this gesture.

We came downstairs to enjoy the free breakfast in the lovely sitting area of the hotel, but then noticed their beautiful restaurant over looking the garden. The food was excellent as was the service. Check out the photos of the restaurant on their website. It reminded me of the movie The Sound of Music when the oldest daughter and her boyfriend were outside in the gazebo singing "`I am 16 Going on 17". Windows all around, with golden linens and decor touches.

After breakfast that first morning I was talking to the waitor and he told me the history of the Herrington Hotel/Spa. I asked him if we could see any other rooms just out of curiosity. He took us around and let me say, they have a beautiful hotel and each window has a view of the river or garden/town area. Some rooms are more elborate than others like most hotels would offer guests.

This wasn't one of those places that you waited in long lines to check in, or had to request a working hair dryer or tv. It just seemed like they cared about their guests' comfort.

The cost was fair, and it helped we went during the week. This past weekend my husband and I went for a ride because it was a beautiful day. He wanted to see what my daughter and I were raving about at the Herrington Hotel, so we took a ride out there just to show him the hotel and had a great day in town. We are not fooling anybody here, he quickly figured out that I wanted to go back with him for a romantic weekend now that tax season is finally over.

So if you are looking for a great place for a romantic weekend, or a girls' get away, The Herrington Hotel Spa is definitely the place to go. Don't forget your walking shoes!

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the river AND the garden if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently attended a wedding at this wonderful inn and spa and were delighted by everything. The facility it first class, the setting is beautiful and the rooms were exceptional - and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever had outside of home. If you are doing a midwest trip I highly recommend a stop!

Room Tip: Get one on the river
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Herrington's staff couldn't be more accommodating. My experience here was lovely. The rooms are in need of updating. It is time! More like the late 80's. Also, the patio furniture on room decks needed new cushions. Just general sprucing up to make it shine. It is such a lovely property.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the river would be ideal.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for quick getaway from the city. Heard a lot of great things about the Herrington and now I know why!

Located in Geneva, IL a cute little town west of downtown Chicago (45 min drive w/o traffic). Its walking distance to many cute shops that line this small town. Food options in the area is also great, so it makes it a great option for a couples getaway, not too far from the city.

The hotel itself is great. Rooms available that overlook the Fox River which even in early spring was very pretty. The beds are huge and oh so comfortable. Our room came with a fireplace and a huge jacuzzi! The jacuzzi is one of the best I've seen in any hotel room, definitely can fit two. I believe you can order spa packages that set up an in room bath. The bathrooms are huge and the toiletries are the best, smell amazing. What makes it "a touch of B&B" is the turndown service which includes milk and fresh bakes chocolate chip cookies and a european continental breakfast (nothing earth shattering but appreciate the coffee!).

Would definitely book a stay here again. Would def recommend for city dwellers that don't want to go too far.. this hits the marks!

Room Tip: Definitely book a room facing the river!!
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We bought a Groupon for a 2-night stay at The Herrington. What an offer! We spent the weekend there and i was delighted with this charming Inn. I booked a spa facial for early evening and Ellen did a wonderful job. No hard sell for spa products but she explained what each product was being applied while i relaxed on the heated bed and took in the aromatherapy and pampering. Our room was on the 1st floor-106 and had a gorgeous king bed with 8ft posts high off the floor. There is a fireplace in every room, a desk, a corner table with 2 arm chairs, a gorgeous tiled bathroom with great lighting, whirlpool tub and a glass shower, make-up mirror and vanity. We had large window with blinds and lace curtains that opened up to a private patio overlooking the Fox River. The river was sunning high due to flooding but the Inn had sandbagged for protection. We chose not to eat in the Herrington dining room it runs $30-40 entree. Geneva is full of great shops and restaurants-some really great restaurants. We had a problem with noise from the bar/lobby area being so close to our room, I called the front desk and the person said, last call was soon, but I needed white noise to sleep so they promptly delivered a box fan and that's the last i heard of noise. We did move the next day, mainly due to foot traffic and switched us to Rm 203. Same amenities and slightly different decor and drop dead quiet. We went to see the Kane County Cougars, the Cubs single A team and the Geneva Commons shopping center and supported the local economy by shopping local. Greta coffee shops and bakeries along State street. Would I go back to Herrington. Yes Yes I would. It was a wonderful weekend getaway, Highly recommend. Staff is very pleasant and accommodating,

Room Tip: avoid rooms close to bar/kitchen area
Washington, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A wonderful hotel with spacious rooms, great service. My wife and I went for an anniversary weekend. We formerly lived in the Geneva area and knew we wanted a dinner at Atwaters (the restaurant at this hotel) so we came for the weekend at Herrington. We had a River Premier room which faced east looking over the Fox River. Spacious room with fireplace. Whirlpool tub as well as shower. Wonderfully comfortable bed. Two nights stay with a marvelous dinner at Atwaters and a casual dinner & drinks in the bar one evening cost us $1,000. So not a bargain place by any means but well worth it for a special event. Stayed in April 2013.

I would not stay here for business unless you are looking to avoid the usual business type places. Very convenient to shopping and dining in Geneva. They have a popular spa which we did not use but popular among the locals.

Rosemont, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. I purchased a Groupon and boy am I glad I did.

Staff - hands down - friendliest staff ever. Never experienced this across the board, from check in, to housekeeping, to bellman. Everyone goes out of there way and it's so nice and welcoming. The milk and cookies are a nice addition too. They also said they would basically drive us anywhere if we wanted to go out. Such a nice touch and they have great recommendations.

Room - sparkling clean. Spacious and beautiful overlooking the Fox Lake. Only thing is that it's freezing in the bathroom. I thought we were staying in a room with heated flooring, but I made a mistake. You definitely need it though if it's cold outside. We went when it was in the 30's. Not a big deal, just cold.

European Breakfast - nice spread and not typical. The cheeses and fruit were really good and everyone was yet, so nice again.

Bed - oh so comfortable. Bed was big, comfy, and the linens were top notch.

I really loved this place. Nice atmosphere, homey feeling, GREAT staff, and sparkiling clean. Everything you need for a fantastic getaway. Thank you Herrington Inn!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!