“The best ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Illinois
“The best ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I shouldn't even rate Fiora's, since next time I go, I might not be able to get in. I've only been there for lunch but have never been disappointed. Food and service is outstanding, and I highly recommend the crab cakes!

Visited July 2012

Saint Charles, Illinois
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Called ahead and said we were celebrating my mom's 85th birthday. They did give us a "private" room but sat us in front of a window with the setting sun when it was 98 degrees outside. The restaurant was not crowded but no one asked if we were too warm and would like to move. My steak came that I had asked for medium rare and it was gray. When I questioned the waiter about it, he told me to come into the kitchen where the light was better. I thought he was joking...he wasn't. I declined and said I know what a medium rare steak tastes like and looks like (there was no juice). They did give me a better prepared steak but by then everyone was done. No mention of my mom's birthday or any effort to make her feel special. I was disppointed. Don't know what happened but this was not a good experience. I wanted to email them but no email address :-(

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
St. Charles
“Excellent Food, Service and Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife and I love this place. They recently expanded their outdoor dining area to include an outdoor bar and a stage. Last weekend we enjoyed live music singing while we dined in downtown Geneva. No busy streets. The service is very warm and attentive. Maybe at times they were too attentive, as they seemed to be too quick to clear empty plates and glasses. I like a clean table as much as anyone, and while their intentions were good it made it feel a little rushed at times. The food and wine were excellent. I love their scallops. They tend to get busy, especially on weekends. But, their prices are very reasonable for the quality you get.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Could Be So Much More”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

This is a restaurant my wife and I keep trying to like. It is beautiful inside and out and has a wonderful patio for outdoor summer dining. The staff is warm and welcoming and do their best to provide a good dining experience. Everything is really quite nice until you open the menu and subsequently eat the food. The food selection is a little on the esoteric side. I imagine the chef is cooking for himself rather than customers. And, I imagine he likes his food woefully under seasoned because it is indeed bland. On our last visit, I started with the Manhattan Clam Chowder. The color and texture were very nice, the taste was absent. Next, I had the grilled scallops over black rice and Swiss chard. Again, good stripe on the scallop, it looked appetizing, it had everything except flavor. For dessert I had a piece of carrot cake and a cup of coffee. The carrot cake tended to be dry and lacked that sweet and spicy flavor one would expect. The coffee was luke warm.This place could easily be five stars if it had a better chef and a more diner friendly menu.

Chicago, Il
“What happened??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

This used to be my favorite restaurant in geneva. Our last visit was not so great. It was a lovely evening, so we decided to sit on the patio. Our waiter took our drink orders and then pushed to immediately take our dinner orders too. We would have liked to just sit a bit and enjoy our wine. Barely had we sipped it and my husband's clam chowder soup was served. The bowl was very small. Less than a cup and under seasoned. He hadn't even set his soup spoon down, when our entrees were served. I had ordered the braised short rib and he ordered the scallops. I must say, the short rib was tender and exceptional. Husbands scallops were served over under seasoned black rice. These entress were whisked away and we were immediately offered dessert. I declined, but my husband ordered the carrot cake. Of course, it was served immediately. I tasted it and would describe it as adequate, nothing special. Our waiter quickly presented our bill and we paid our $110 and were on our way. The entire dining experience took less than 50 minutes. Did we feel rushed? You bet we did. Will we return? Maybe for a glass of wine or an after dinner drink, but not for dinner. I don't know if management has changed or what, but the relaxed Fiora's we used to love, was nowhere to be found.