“Real Flavor + Super Fresh + Mexican Food You Won't Get Anywhere Else” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bien Trucha

Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish, Tapas
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Chicago, IL
“Real Flavor + Super Fresh + Mexican Food You Won't Get Anywhere Else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

When you think Mexican food, you probably think about the standard favors you get at every Mexican restaurant.... Not Bien Trucha. Prepare yourself for an explosion of flavors! Chipotle peppers, spices, fresh lime, cilantro and more.... I've already been there 3x!

Start with a fresh squeezed drink.... Either a mojito or if you want a drink that's virgin... Limonada! (fresh lemon and lime juices - sugar and a splash of seltzer for some fizz. You'll want a second one.

Had the "Bien Trucha" tacos.... 4 mini corn tacos with steak cheese and a roasted pepper sauce that you'll tell your friends about! The casualitas were incredible too. Melted cheese with wild mushrooms served in a large ramekin with corn tortillas to make yourself. A chipotle sauce is served on the side as well.

Sides? Cilantro rice with a bit of melted cheese. Roasted corn with lime. It doesn't get any better than this when it comes to Mexican food.... Unless you go to "A Toda Madre" which is next door (same owners) and every bit as a good!

I hear Bien Trucha is opening a location in Naperville. IL - FYI. 5 stars is the only rating Bien can get! It won't be long to visit #4!!

Aurora, Illinois
“A Good Restaurant but Over-Hyped because it is in Geneva, IL”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have written many reviews and this is the one I am most conflicted. I love mexican cuisine and have eaten extensively in Mexico and the major Mexican Cuisine chefs in the States. I always look for the best in a place but in comparing where I have eaten to what I had at Bien Trucha, I am not with the majority on this restaurant.

Two couples went on a beautiful Summer Saturday evening and stood in line for 30 minutes for this very small place and sat on the patio (Do not wait longer than 30 for a table at this place).

While in line the Hostess from their restaurant next door was handing out menu's and telling us Bien Truncha is more street food and the other restaurant is more fine dining mexican cuisine and unlike Bien they take reservations. When I asked if they had an opening for 4 this evening, She looked at me like was asking her to cure cancer in her best impression of a hostess that was hired only for looks not brains.

The staff is very nice but mixed in service levels. The bus boys were unbelievably attentive. The wait staff was attentive but came across as insincere when they actually showed up to the table (trying for trendy not top line service). The space is small. The staff is limited. When they are slammed, drinks take forever and you see your wait staff infrequently. The are trying too hard to be trendy and need to concentrate on the basics of restaurant service. Our server actually said our drinks will be at the table in five minutes and we ordered them ten minutes earlier.

We sat on the patio. The patio atmosphere and the music they play make you feel like you are on vacation. The patio is the only place you need to sit because you will be waiting for drinks and food so you need the Atmosphere to make it not seem as long. This is a summer time place only. I could not bear being in that small place in the winter and having to wait on food and drinks

Drinks are fresh and good, but small and expensive and slow to get to the table.

Let's get to the food.

The daily guacamole with watermelon was good, the ceveche was good, The salsa's were OK. The Habanero salsa was bland (Yes I never thought I could say Bland and Habanero in the same sentence), the Serrano had more flavor and the Morita had a smokey flavor and clearly the best salsa.

We also had the Shrimp Cazuelitas which was the best thing we ate all night. Sauteed shrimp, red onion, garlic, cilantro-chimichurri and melted chihuahua cheese.

Tacos. As this is mexican street food and served like tapas we had Four different tacos for the table. We ordered the rice and corn to eat with the tacos and they showed up to the tab 5 to 10 minutes before we were delivered any tacos.

Pastor Tacos - Have Half a dozen taco carts that have more flavorful Pastor. OVERLY AVERAGE.

Bein Trucha Tacos - Steak with Chorizo was the most flavorful and the best. This is what I expected from the hype this place has received.

Shrimp a la Diabla Tacos - No heat and no flavor. Well cooked shrimp but again an overly average taco.

Pescadillas Tacos - Shredded Sword Fish was very good and more what I was expecting.

Overall the patio atmosphere was not enough to make me rate this place higher than average.
Location and lack of options in the area is what gives them the hype. Nothing was bad, but too much average food and service to rate higher. I will go back for certain things and only on the patio.

If you are going out with adult friends and can sit on the patio you should go. Do not bring kids and do not sit inside. The wait is also not worth it. Go their on your terms then those dictated by the hype. This place has the potential to be Great but they need to step up their game in the kitchen to be worthy of the hype and they need to resolve the service issue which is directly related to the size of the place. They need to buy the large empty lot next to them and build the restaurant they really can be. They are not going to do it with the limited space they have.

As I said at the beginning, very conflicted and can see the unrealized potential in this place.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Evanston, Illinois
“A Mexican delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

An excellent selection of drinks and tacos makes this a popular venue. We arrived Thursday around 7 and there was already an hour wait for tables. We were able to be seated immediately at one of the three table tops out front. The waiter was very helpful. The mojitos and margaritas were refreshing. We had the battered shrimp and portobello mushroom tacos and they were tasty. A fun atmosphere. The same owners have opened a new Mexican restaurant next door with a menu of larger dishes.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Cool, on a hot afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This excellent venue is a wonderful oasis for food and drink. We loved all that we ordered. The outdoor seating (on the side of the restaurant) was comfortable and out of the hot sun. The staff was attentive and did their job well. Daily specials and regular menu items were quite tasty. They are not agreeable to menu changes, however, the choices are ecclectic and really need no special shift to satisfy a picky eater. Drinks are unique and I would return to find out what was offered on a daily basis. The inside is cozy (small) but well run and the flow of people and food worked well. We would definitely return for dinner. One negative comment is the techno music was too loud.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
LaGrange, IL
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love everything I've tasted here. There is usually a long wait for a table, but it really is worth it. Drinks, both alcoholic and non, are just as interesting and fresh-tasting as the food.

Visited November 2011