“Adequate for Overnight Stay” 2 of 5 stars

The Broad View Inn & Suites
29 Public Square, Galesburg, IL 61401 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn )   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Galesburg
Iowa
“Adequate for Overnight Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I decided last minute to drive into Galesburg from the Quad Cities as I was catching an early Amtrak train and was not sleepy. I was able to book the room easily online and got to the hotel around midnight. They were pretty busy still checking people in but I was able to get checked in without much delay. The place is definitely run down, and for the price of $50 total w/tax I wasn't expecting a three or four star hotel experience. I got to the room and again, things were pretty beat up, but it looked adequately clean, and the bed was firm and I was able to get some sleep before I caught the train. It's a one or two star hotel for sure, and it was adequate for me for a quick overnight stay, and less expensive than the other options in town.

Room Tip: If you want to save a buck this is the place to go. If you want a great hotel experience, this ain...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
West Central Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This is the America's Best Value Inn on Public Square (circle) in Galesburg, right? My experience certainly differed from all the negative ones. I had biked 50 miles from Macomb, planning to take Amtrak back home. But when I discovered that mechanical problems would cause the train to leave Chicago late and get me back home at 1:00AM, I decided to get a room and catch the morning train. I certainly wasn't going to bike out to no man's land near the interstate highway after dark, so this was it.

All I wanted was something clean, quiet, and comfortable. Which I got (see comment below). Everything worked and the room and halls looked like they had recently been refurbished. Nothing elegant or luxurious, but I what could expect for the $47 AARP rate.

When I say quiet I mean no noise in the next room or outside my door. iHols: you're right about the train noise. It is only 2 blocks from the Santa Fe transcon with trains about every 5 minutes, and about 5 blocks in the other direction from one of the largest rail yards in the country. But when they blow the horn, they are only doing what they are supposed to do, not to mention what Federal law requires. So it didn't bother me or keep me away like a redneck rendezvous would.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Wilmington, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

What a dump!!!!! Front desk people were friendly.. Got to the room and quickly noticed hair in the sink and shower, hardly no toilet paper, had to ask for towels but then decided NOT to take a shower in such a dirty nasty shower tub. Walls had writing and holes in them. Bed had sheets with stains and burn holes. Bed was hard and the pillows smelled bad. I had to sleep in my clothes and jacket because it felt dirty and i wasnt sure if i would get a desease or bug bites from the bed. the end table had what appeared to be blood stains on them and the heater smelled bad when i turned it on. VERY POOR CLEANING AND MAINTANENCED HOTEL. All night long hear screaming and yelling in the hallways and banging on doors. someone banged on my door but never answered it. I will be sure NOT to recommend this place to even my worst enemy. When I checked out there were cops at the room a few doors down. Not a surprise to me. The worst EVER experience at a hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Everything works, just. This place needs a good clean and some money spending on it. I am writing this lying in the bed of one of the rooms, not sure if I am being bitten! At least the wifi works. Just one night so hopfully we won't be murdered in our beds. The train noise is driving me crazy but at least I can write this review rather than sleep.

• Stayed September 2010
galesburghotel, Manager at The Broad View Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
We try our best to keep our property clean and free of undesirables.
Waterville, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

If I was traveling by myself and didn't mind caring a concealed weapon this would be a good hotel. It was according to local legend a Days Inn, a Ramada, a ... It has had many names as the phones in the room suggest. Night clerk was great. Felt very safe around him with the local um "guests" hanging around. Hotel ownership pay attention here. I know you are trying to update this property and maybe do care - you need to work on cleaning up the inside image of this place and LISTEN to what actual paying guests are saying about your property. New locks on the doors, good idea. The property is in need of a huge overhaul from dirty dingy hallways and rooms to the lack of security from outside forces. Breakfast was good and cheap.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
MIDWEST
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Low rates. Front desk person greeted us quickly, cordially, and got us checked in faster than any other hotel we've ever stayed in. We booked several rooms for our group. The mattresses were hard, one was bowed in the middle. Several sheets and one comforter were torn and/or dirty. Caked on dust behind and under all furniture in every room. Walls in bathrooms had nicks, spackle filled holes never painted over. Shower doors moved on rusty frames. Toilet paper roller was missing in one room, so toilet paper was left on the counter. Door to one room did not open with keys. A housekeeper told us that particular room was known to have a "tricky" handle and showed us how to get the door to open. If something isn't working right, these people don't get it fixed. Trains outside the building run through the night but did not seem that noisy. The lounge/bar open at night had loud, scary looking patrons who appeared to be "regulars" from the neighborhood. Breakfast in the restaurant was $5.50/person for a buffet that had much variety and okay quality. Waitress avoided us but finally did break down and pour a second cup of coffee.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This place had very deceptive photos and info in the internet ad. The halls were not air conditioned and smelled old and musty and of stale cigarette smoke. It is old and run down with rather unsavory characters smoking at the entrance and hanging around in the lobby. Some were patrons and others employees. We were very uncomfortable and found later that this hotel has a reputation for druggies, etc. The young man at the front desk was very cordial and accommodating...the only good thing in the whole place.
We found our room to be somewhat stuffy with a broken and unusable recliner, walls with spackle to fill holes, not repainted, and peeling paint and mold around the slider to the small balcony. The other thing we discovered about the time we opened the slider to get some fresh air was that the room overlooked several sets of train tracks and two trains passing in the night with horns blaring. This continued off and on through the entire night. Sleep? Don't count on it without some kind of assistance! It was, overall, a very dissatisfying, disappointing and uncomfortable experience. There was also no continental breakfast as indicated in the internet ad. Inexpensive? Yes. But we still didn't get our money's worth. Don't go there! It's nasty!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Broad View Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!