“A nice dinner out” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Uppsala, Sweden
“A nice dinner out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had ribeye steaks, a fillet, and ground round steak and they were all very good. The steaks were cooked to random doneness (medium fillet came as well done, medium well ribeye came as medium), but they were still excellently flavored and tender. The service was attentive and friendly. The atmosphere was good only to the extent that it is the same as the historical atmosphere of the "old" Packinghouse. And of course the cinnamon rolls are delicious.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Monmouth, Illinois, United States
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Was glad to hear that this Galesburg dining institution was reopening, under the guidance of veteran restaurateurs. I knew the prices would be high, but hoped the quality of food and service would make up for that.

The salad bar was OK, but the apples in the apple salad weren't crisp, and I missed the breadsticks, which were a staple of the old Packinghouse.

I had the herbed chicken and mashed potatoes. The chicken was moist, but not particularly tasty. The mashed potatoes were lumpy and somewhat dry. Two other people in our party had the prime rib dip sandwich. The au jus came in a tiny plastic cup, not nearly big enough to dip a sandwich into. When requested, they brought out a soup cup with au jus. The sandwich was supposed to be served with a horseradish rosemary aioli, but there was no evidence of it.

It didn't seem like we had to wait overly long to be served, but the waiter must have come back three or four times to apologize that our food wasn't ready. I found that somewhat annoying.

The lighting is much dimmer than it used to be and an older member in our party couldn't read the menu. Luckily we had a smartphone flashlight app!

Prices, as expected, were on the high end. I will not be rushing back unless I hear food and service have gotten much better. Would strongly recommend Chez Willy's around the corner. The difference in quality and atmosphere is like night and day.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Galesburg, Illinois
“not what i expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

For being talked up as a high end restaurant I was not happy. My food was average at best with a high price to go along with it. My mixed drink was served in a glass that looked as small as a shot glass. Yes a salad bar is nice, but I would rather have a good steak than salad.

Visited March 2013
Peoria, Illinois
“Re-opened under new ownership”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was really pleased to learn that a local favorite restaurant that he been around for many years, but had closed a while back, would be re-opening under new ownership, but same restaurant name, and same favorite items from the old menu. We had the opportunity to visit the newly re-opened place and were delighted to find it busy and bustling with activity. Folks dine right after work in this small town, so it was busy from 5:30 to about 8:00pm. I was glad we had made a reservation for 6:30.

I was pleased to see that the salad bar was back on the menu; plenty of items to choose, and I can make a meal out of just this! Also, the famous Packinghouse cinnamon rolls were back. They used to be in a basket on the salad bar, but are now delivered (4 in a small basket) to the table instead. (too many folks taking more than their share from the salad bar, and leaving with cinnamon rolls in their purses and pockets, to be eaten later????) We asked for a second small basket at our table of 4 people, and the wait staff was happy to bring us more.

The menu has similar items from the past, with steaks, and especially the prime rib, a specialty. There are also chicken and fish dishes and some other items; enough to find something you might be craving. Plates are delivered to the table with large portions, so no chance to go hungry.

The salad bar (was called the Produce Wagon) used to be included with any entree. Now it is an additional $4.95, with a small but tasty house salad being served as part of the meal instead. If a person wanted just the salad bar for their meal, I believe it is priced around $9-10. Reasonable. A nice selection of items. Easy to make a meal of it.

I hope that my next comment is not taken in anyway except as a helpful suggestion. As I mentioned, plates are served with large portions in place. I had hoped that the presentation of the food might have been a little neater and tidier. I had a bit of food dangling over the edge of the plate. Another person in our party of four had a dish of potatoes placed directly on the large dinner plate.... not quite what I would have expected for what was surely one of the nicer local restaurants in the past.

I'm hoping that the Packinghouse is just going through "grand opening" glitches. It has always been a restaurant that has drawn people into town from miles and miles away. I will probably give it another chance in the near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere