“Needs much TLC and improvement :) Will pass from now on!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center

You added BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Soangetaha Road, I-74 at East Main, Galesburg, IL 61401   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Galesburg
Indiana
“Needs much TLC and improvement :) Will pass from now on!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We travel by here at least 2 times a month on our way to family and it seems nice from the interstate. We stopped at the exit- went to our usual hotel stop (down the road at a major chain) and it was full. It was late, and the desk clerk at the HIE said he would call the Best Western Prairie Inn to see if they had availability and they did. Upon entering the lobby- it seemed nice, out of date furnishings but nice and spacious. Kathy, the desk clerk, was very nice and helpful. Welcomed us and we paid for our room and she gave us directions to drive around the building. Problem # 1. The buildings are not easily distinguished. When it's very late, very dark and it's hard to see if it is building # A, B, C... exit it's very unnerving. Then I saw people who i thought might be owners walking around at midnight, we passed them and waved.. no response. Problem # 2. Seeing people out walking for exercise who work at the property (they went to the building that appeared to have permanent residences in it) and don't acknowledge their guests? Then problem # 3 (we have only been on the property for 10 min.= we get the children out, load our bags on our arms for the quick night, and go to use our hotel room card to get in the "secure" entrance. It doesn't work. In fact- it's falling off the entrance wall. There's obviously no power to it at all as it doesn't light up or do anything. I go back to the car with the bags in tow- (meanwhile the kids, husband are loaded down and it's raining now with no entrance covering) and get my receipt- call the desk (Kathy- who is so nice by the way) She says she will send someone. About 5 min later, the maintenance man? (plain clothed) opens the door, apologizes and says "we have been having problems with them for some time and they aren't working). We get to our room, Problem #4. The room has an odor. the carpet is dirty- ( we wouldn't walk barefoot on it) and the bedskirt is ripped on both beds, hanging by threads.. among other things) Dingy dingy towels.. ugh. I was so over it- i told the kids to fold the spreads back and get in bed (it was nearing midnight). We were awaken at 6 am by the smell of cigarette smoke- someone smoking in the portico by our room outside... and talking loudly. Problem # 5 Then bugs in bathroom (water bugs) on floor. ....I was sick that I had paid $89.99 (AAA rate) PLUS TAXES. I go to ck out- and tell her we had problems and that i literally was sick that i had paid my hard earned money for this room. It was more of a $49.99 sort of room. She says she was sorry- looks to the other gal at the desk, who "gives her a thumbs up" and gives me a TEN DOLLAR DISCOUNT. At this point, i was ready to tell her to keep her 10 dollars!! I told her politely the problems... the bugs (i even took a pic with my cell to show her)... she said she would have to talk to the general mgr?????? who wouldn't be in until tomorrow???? We travel A LOT. And this is really unheard of- the mgr on duty should be able to accomodate guests immediately.
Trust me- i am NOT a complainer. Hotels are not perfect, but this is was ridiculous. Maybe this was just a room that fell short- maybe it was a series of bad things but it is what it is. But how this hotel got the AAA diamond rating is beyond me. It's a hotel that needs some TLC and attention to detail. If you are going to charge that much for a room (the going rate really), then it really should be worth it. We stay at HIE, Drury's, Hamptons.. and the free breakfast, the extras are nice but the CLEAN room is the kicker! They did offer a 10% discount coupon for their restaurant that we passed on. The general mgr never called me as promised, but they did refund my card 12.50?? Maybe they should listen to customers- called personally and talked to me. I would of politely and professionally given them my opinion. So anyway, we will pass on by this hotel and wish them well, but lots of areas of "dropping the ball" :((

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
prairieinn, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to your satisfaction. Since your stay we have repainted the building signs so they are now fluorescent and easily seen in the dark and we have changed our bug extermination provider. We have ordered new bed skirts and we are in the process of changing out the exterior locks for a better, safer experience for our guests.

The owners, managers, and staff all strive to exceed expectations. In the dark, personnel might not have seen you wave, but we love getting the chance to converse with our guests. I hope that you will give us the chance to speak to you about your concerns. If you would like to speak in more detail about the efforts to make our guest's experiences better please contact me directly at 309-343-7151.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Elizabethton, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My son was touring Knox College. The hotel is in a quiet area near the college. It is not near the bigger commercial areas of Galesburg, but the town is not the big. You could get anywhere in town within 15 minutes. Our room was good sized, clean and what you would expect. The indoor pool and hot tub were much larger than most hotel pools. The hotel buildings surround a courtyard and some rooms open out onto it.

Room Tip: You will pay more, but you can get a room that opens out onto the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
prairieinn, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you so much for this nice review!!! We look forward to seeing you again!!!

Amber Smith
Guest Services
Morton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western Galesburg at the beginning of the month. The stay was fine as hotels go, clean room, decent bed, great wireless internet. The cable tv wasn't working the night I was there, but the wireless more than made up for it. I paid the next morning with gift cards, but when I got my credit card bill at the end of the month, they had still billed me the full price of the room. I called and within 2 days they had it all straightened out and refunded me the full price for the room that night. That is what I call customer service. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We strive for our staff to be the best. Knowing that you were satisfied with the customer service you received makes us proud in our staff. If mistakes happen then we will try our hardest to correct them immediately. Thank you for your patience with the correction of the mistake and we hope that you will come back and visit us again.

Misty Tenenbaum
Guest Services Manager
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Visiting Knox College, I have stayed at this hotel many times. On my last visit, I could tell that updates are happening. The room had been updated. This is an older hotel and not fancy, but the rooms are big enough. There's a coffee maker. The beds are comfortable. Having the restaurant onsite for breakfast is a big plus and the food is good and inexpensive (even before the discount.) I've never eaten dinner there. As a previous reviewer stated, walking in the interior corridors can be confusing, but I have never had a problem with noise from other rooms. The staff are nice and helpful.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Room was spacious and clean. It appears that they are working on remodeling and have the interior corridors complete. I agree completely with a previous review about the corridors. They were confusing and took us a while to get from our room to the lobby. We requested adjoining rooms as we had 2 of our granddaughters with us however this request was not honored and in fact the rooms were not even next to each other and the motel did not appear to be full by any means. The room appeared not to have been used for a while as the water was brown in the tub when I first turned it on, however was fine after that. It was quiet and a short drive to downtown which had some nice small shops and antique stores and restaurants. In the restaurant for dinner are food was average to below average. The lightly breaded walleye that my husband ordered was heavily breaded and the fish rubbery as was the grilled prawns. The pasta the girls ordered was good however. Breakfast was fine and the wait staff helpful. The pool was the high light and that is the only reason I am giving it a very good review. It was full size with an 8 ft deep end, which is hard to find in a motel/hotel these days. The girls really enjoyed being able to jump in the pool. Definitely not high end, but adequate for a one night stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Was taking a family trip with an active five year old, and 20-month old twins at Christmas.

The layout is basically three buildings with fully enclosed cloisters. It includes a good restaurant with a 25% guest discount, so once you're here, you don't need to go back out unless you want to. For what we paid, the restaurant was very good.

The staff, and especially the maintainance staff, was extremely helpful and friendly.

Our room was pretty spacious. We requested a portable crib and it was in the room ready to go when we got there. The bathroom was a pretty good size too, and overall the room was well laid-out and clean.

The cons? Not too many channels on the older TV, no mini-fridge, and there were some very big transitional bumps when trying to roll your luggage around. A few upgrades could make this an excellent property

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Kathy F, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
On behalf of the staff, we would like to thank you so much for the kind words that you wrote in regards to your stay with us at the Best Western Plus Prairie Inn in Galesburg, Il. It is always nice to hear from our guests that we have done a good job.

We look forward to you staying with us the next time you are in the area.

Kathy Fowkes CHS
Guest Services Manager
jax
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

A nice place to stay for a few nights.There is a lounge and restaurant inside the hotel.Large menu to choose from and pretty cheap prices.And you get a 25% discount on dinner with room key.can't beat that.only thing I did not like was older tv's and no mini fridge or microwave.other than that no complaints.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for the nice review that you gave us at the Best Western Plus Prairie Inn in Galesburg, Il. We are proud of our property and appreciate the compliments. We are working on getting new, flat screen tv's for all of our rooms.
We hope that next time you are in the Galesburg, Il area, you stay with us at the Best Western plus Prairie Inn.
Kathy Fowkes CHS
G.S. Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Prairie Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!