“Fantastic Food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
One Eleven Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 56 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Delicious food and great ambiance. The waiter was very informative and honest in his descriptions of the menu. The ribeye was awesome and served with sweet potatoes that were equally amazing. my wife had the duck which was phenomenal.

Visited November 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Quaint little spot on Galena's mainstreet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is an excellent place to go as a couple for a nice dinner. The menu is a little more unique such as the duck entree I ordered. By the way it was very good! We had an excellent waiter who was very helpful in pairing the wine.

Princeton, wisconsin
“Don't complain about service or you become an enemy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Had reservations, table was empty, but not set. Took us to table, set it and water arrived ten minutes later. Fifteen minutes for first drink. Twenty minutes for second drink. Complained to waitor, and a bit later manager showed up with clip board. Asked us questions, and then said that waitor would not come back as we were a passive-agressive table. Can you believe it? Asked to talk to owner. Did, but no satisfaction. I sincerely feel it was because we were with two males and they are not "gay friendly", but waitor was bad, bad, bad.
No offer to make amends. Incidentally, the food was mediocre, and no complaining as we thought the fire alarm might go off. Not a friendly manager, awful service, and no way would we ever return or recommend to any of our friends.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
OneElevenMain, General Manager at One Eleven Main, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
This retelling of the events is nearly criminal. I am no attorney but I am sure the ACLU would agree that baseless accusations of homophobia are defamation of character. It is sad, shocking and appalling that this is how you chose to represent the facts. It is also of no surprise that you absolutely leave out the truth of the matter which is that your husband was called out for cursing repeatedly at our staff.

I have never responded to an online review in my life, as I never thought it to be a good use of our time. We would rather focus our resources on refining our craft, training our staff, and spending time on our guests and their experiences. The misrepresentation of this incident is confirmation of the disconnection between genuine first person reviews of a guest experience at an establishment and slanderous, out right lies and half truths that have become a reality of anonymous online reviews.

The truth of the events in question are as follows:
We dropped the ball several times in the service of this table. Our server forgot to bring B&B plates with your appetizer. Our server should have completed his table set up before the host was told to seat the group. There was a wait for your drink service. Our server forgot a glass of wine. Your order came in behind a group of 40 guest on a pub crawl. I should have been better prepared. I had no solution when our second bartender called in with a sick child. Shame on me. Not your problem, but it is the truth.

At this point your husband follows our server into the bar and says to him as he is placing your drink order on his tray that this is no laughing matter that your drinks took so long. Our server brought the drinks to the table and then your husband continued his abusive behavior, telling the server that this is a bunch of [expletive], and apologies won't cut it. At this point our server asked your husband not to curse at him. Our server then got a manager.

When our manager approached your table (without a clipboard), your husband raised his indignant behavior to a higher level baiting the manager into a strong response. Our manager told you that she was very sorry for the wait, it was not appropriate, and that our server should have done better but that under no circumstances would your passive aggressive cursing at the staff be acceptable. She then comped the second round of drinks, as—at the time—that was the primary issue upsetting your husband. Your husband was embarrassed that a young professional woman, forty years his junior, called him out on his boorish behavior in front of your guests. How dare she. Your husband then asked to speak to me.

When I approached your husband, he was extremely complimentary on the food but was upset about being called passive aggressive in front of his guests. I apologized for the lapses in service that your group experienced and told him it was not to our standard and I know we can do better. Your husband confirmed this by noting you have been here several times and will come back but your guests won't. I then restated to your husband that speaking to my staff in that tone and language was not acceptable and no manner of poor service should result in belittling a server in that manner. His language and tone was not acceptable in any dining establishment under any circumstances. Period—end of story.

So now please tell me: when and how does anyone's sexual orientation come into this? Let me be very clear: If you are a guest with a dining resume, someone who feels that the staff that serves you is beneath you, and that paying an honest price for from-scratch local foods entitles you to the right to belittle my staff, call them names, and curse at them, go somewhere else. We cook and serve people food for a living without prejudice of their race, religion, or sexual orientation.

Our staff is trained in three cores of our business: Respect, Responsibility, and Accountability. We respect the guests who give us an opportunity to make a living by serving them. We hold ourselves accountable to a person when mistakes are made. There is no finger pointing or name calling but sincere introspection and constant coaching. Our server received a stern coaching on his failure with your table and a sincere apology from me for your behavior. We will be better from these events because that is who we are.

Your calculating misrepresentation of these events is insulting to us and—I am sure—the LGBTQ community you claim we offended. People with common sense see through such charades. Your husband should be ashamed of his behavior and language. I am still at a loss for how a discussion about civility turns into an indictment of an establishment for homophobic and prejudice behavior. I can't make a connection.
McHenry, Illinois
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Locally produced food at its best! Never a bad meal here. Their pork is some of the best that I have ever had. Great service as well.

Glenview
“Great Service, Good Food with Local Flair.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I love that this restaurant celebrates local produce. The food was good and the location was in the heart of the Downtown area. The waitstaff was attentive and friendly