“Amazing Anniversary Getaway! Tremendous attention to detail” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Irish Hollow

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
You added The Inn at Irish Hollow to your Saves list
2800 S Irish Hollow Rd, Galena, IL 61036   |
Ranked #3 of 34 Galena B&B and Inns
Lombard, Illinois
“Amazing Anniversary Getaway! Tremendous attention to detail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Years ago, my wife and I used to go to a bed & breakfast for our anniversary, but after it closed 4 years ago we have been a little lost without an annual destination. A friend recommended checking out the Galena area, and after checking out some of the Galena area B&B's I stub led across the Irish Hollow Inn. The amenities and photography of the property blew us away.

We were not disappointed! The setting is very beautiful and a true escape from the daily grind. It is located about 20 minutes from downtown Galena along one of the most fun roads to drive in Illinois. I own a two seater sports car and loved the opportunity to drive to and from town. The last mile or so, before the Inn is gravel, but dust washes off.

We were greeted by a cheerful and courteous Vincent, who got us checked in and settled. We decided to go with the Postmaster room at the Inn, and we were very pleased with the bed, seating, fireplace and private bath. This room was a little small but very comfortable and the Inn provides a delightful living room and porch for Inn guests to use.

The property is truly serene and we did get to explore the trails a little with amazing views of the "hollow" below. They took such care with the paths and creating small seating areas with fire pits. The views from up above were really amazing.

The one caution I would offer is this is located in the country. Literally. It is an environment I grew up around and enjoy but it may not be for everyone. There are cows, birds, narrow twisting roads and bugs out on the trails. If you are looking for the Bellagio and marble floors, this may not be for you. If you are looking for top rate service and food, memories to last a lifetime set in a unique environment, look no further.

We actually met a woman at a winery on our way to the Inn, and overheard her talking about it. I asked her about it and she just lit up. She had been 3 times before and said over and over how much her and her husband LOVED staying there. She went on to rave about the food and repeatedly said how jealous she was of us this weekend. She was not exaggerating at all.

The setting is amazing. The service from Vincent and Bill is passionate and top notch. The attention detail is unparalleled. But the food. The food was out of this world. The setting of this dining room set inside a quant former General Store and post office built in 1860 surrounds you with so much history. The front windows look out across the farm fields and hills opposite the Inn. The breakfasts were amazing, but the SEVEN course dinner on Saturday was out of this world. Really, truly exceptional. I would love to describe every course and ingredient but I know my words will not do it justice, other than to say you will not be dissapointed.

I have had he pleasure of traveling and staying in fine hotels and eating in fine restaurants literally all over the world. From New York to LA to Tokyo and Paris, I found our meals at the Irish Hollow Inn within this quant setting outside Galena, Il to be one of the finest I remember.

Our visit was really the complete package. Top to bottom. It wasn't just one thing it was all details moments and touches. I wish I could leave a negative review and keep this place undiscovered, but like the woman we met at the winery, we are now lifelong fans.

Room Tip: I'm 6'-4" and chose the postmasters room as it does not have a footboard on the bed and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

What a beautiful place. Service was amazing, food was delicious. We stayed in the Gardener's Cottage. It was big, and well decorated. I would put all of those beautiful pieces in my own home.

The breakfast everyday was tasty, so fresh. We had a multiple course dinner at the Inn, and each course was spectacular. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice quiet gateway.

We went into the town and ate at Log Cabin Steakhouse, great food, and then walked around the shops.

P.S. everyone talks about the sheets at this hotel, and they are incredible, next time we go back, we will buy a set for our own bed.

Room Tip: Gardener's Cottage seems to be the best :)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I can't say enough good things about the Inn. I stayed with my husband in the french maid's cottage. It was so cute, so comfy..LOVED the bed and especially the linens. Chocolate and champagne greeted us....a great fireplace, with plenty of wood and starters made for a lovely day by the fire. they had games to play, the cottage was nice and spacious, the kitchen area had two small mini fridges - which was great. Loved the sitting area. The breakfast and dinner were amazing - best breakfast I have had in my life! All meals were candlelit. During dinner, my husband brought his own beer and when he ran out, they brought some of their stock out. The staff was so friendly - we even hung out after dinner just to talk. Definitely follow their directions to get there - google will take you the long way. I also would have loved to take my dogs (two small cav spaniels, less than 14 lbs) but pups are not allowed :(

One message to management - please please please invest in a water softener or filtration system. Water that smells like rust is not good. You took such care to have a beautiful shower and jetted tub in the rooms but the water...yikes. I filled up the jetted tub to relax after my massage and it was brown rusty water -- the jets didn't help as it just kicked up the hard water deposits.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed here for our three year anniversary and couldn't say enough! The cottage was astounding, as romantic as it gets. The food was amazing, they even specially made gluten free breads, muffins, and full meals due to an allergy and everything was top notch!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have always had this picture of a romantic getaway in a cabin far from other people in the fall or winter. In this picture we would take a long walk to return to our cabin with a roaring fire. Well my wonderful boyfriend made this come true with the help of Matthew and mother nature. Irish Hollow is nothing short of amazing.

We just spent one night at Irish Hollow for a post Valentine's Day getaway and I wish we were there longer. We arrived on a very snowy day early in the morning before check in. Matthew the innkeeper was great and showed us to the living area, in the main house or general store, where we could relax since we didn't want to venture back out on the roads to explore Galena. There was coffee, tea, hot chocolate and mini carrot cakes available. We decided to take the snow shoes down the trail even though we have never snow shoe'd but we had a great time and it was pretty easy and very romantic in spite of my couple of clumsy falls:) It was snowing and just beautiful during our almost 3 mile snow shoe hike. The hike is down an old train track and we passed some very curious cows. We came back and warmed up in the living area by the fireplace and played chess. Since we worked up an appetite on the trail, we asked Matthew if we could get some wine and cheese (dinner was scheduled at 7 and they don't serve their 7 course dinner every night, so be sure to check) and he said that our room was ready and they had already taken over the wine and cheese. He also told us that there was a bottle of champagne in the fridge and a box of chocolate and both were ours to take home if we didn't get the opportunity to indulge in either.

We stayed in the Station House. Other guests we spoke to said that we should try them all but I fell in love with Station House. I walked in and couldn't believe how romantic and perfect the home was. It was a beautiful room with a bedroom, living and dining area and a see-through fireplace between the livingroom and the amazing bathroom with heated floors and a two person tub with heated surround. A shower large enough for 4 people with as many shower heads. Trust me in this setting you won't miss the TV. The living room had a large couch for two. The cheese tray was amazing and much more than you would expect from a BandB. At least four different cheeses, curry cashews, dried mange, olives, fruit, sausauge, prosciutto, pate and bread and crackers. It was perfect.

At 7 we went to the 7 course dinner that was wonderful. We had gravlox appetizer, salad, zucchini soup which was wonderful, beet risotto and goat cheese and I could have stopped there it was so good, chicken and an amazing pizzelle with chocolate for dessert.

Just a heads up, breakfast is almost a three course meal and it was amazing. We started with Irish oatmeal banana fosters with blueberries, followed by homemade amazing almond chocolate croissants, though the guests at the next table said they had scones the previous morning which were to die for and they were asking Matthew to create a cookbook, then Matthew brought out two crepes filled with chicken that I couldn't finish.

If you want a romantic experience this is the place, it exudes romance. I can't wait to go back during a different season to experience a picnic or wine and cheese in their outdoor private setting near the rocks. Some of the guests said they come every year and some more than that which says it all.

Irish Hollow exceeded my expectations on all levels, so thank you to Matthew and to my wonderful boyfriend for such an amazing experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Elmhurst, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Spent an anniversary weekend at Irish Hollow and can say the cottages are stunning, the food fantastic and the service from Matthew, the Innkeeper, incredible. The Inn is set on a beautiful farm location with rolling hills and stunning vistas. The cottages are decorated beautifully with woodburning fireplaces, 2 person jacuzzi's, and equipped with an iPad with a great music selection. There are also magazines and board games in the cottages as there are no tv's. It's a special place to reconnect with your significant other or even a great girlfriend weekend. We did not use the spa services, but will next time. We have already booked a fall weekend.

They had snow shoes available and we took a moonlight walk which was just amazing. We can't wait to plan this fall. Don't miss this Inn. There is breakfast included and a 7-course dinner. The food is just fabulous. This Inn is a "don't miss" in my book.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Stonewood cottage 2 nights and the Shopkeeper's Daughter room at the Inn. I wo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I spent three nights at Irish Hollow in January 2014 for an anniversary getaway. I saw the inn online several years ago and this was our first opportunity to get to Galena. I'm picky and I'm certain it is the only place for us to lodge in or near Galena. The idea of bed and breakfasts are always appealing, but too often the lodgings look like Grandma's attic circa 1982, but the cottages at Irish Hollow are classy and updated.

We stayed in the Stonewood cottage. Hands down, stay in one of the cottages. It seemed to me that they would be equally pleasing, but definitely better than upstairs in a room of the main home (general store). The cottage was spacious and very comfortable. The innkeepers have put much thought into the design and finishings of the room so that you have everything you need. The furnishings are upscale, clean, and comfortable.

The food was tasty (and plentiful!). You can tell that thought is put into eating seasonally and locally even though we visited during the winter.

Plenty of options nearby for a several day trip, but I was just as happy lazing around the cottage with the fireplace roaring with a book and a glass of wine for the whole day. Look no further.

Room Tip: Cottages for sure. Loved stonewood. Two of the cottages seemed to be under one roof, but stonewood...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Irish Hollow? Share your experiences!