“Very nice choice for inexpensive hotel in Galena.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Galena
Dubuque, Iowa
“Very nice choice for inexpensive hotel in Galena.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We decided to do an overnight in Galena in February 2012 for my birthday (only 20 minutes away from Dubuque, IA).

We were kind of thinking about a theme room as a nice getway from the kiddos. I had checked into the rooms at the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville, Wi, but the rooms seemed really dated and the price was pretty high. Also, there was not much in Dodgeville that we wanted to see, other than the House on the Rocks, and I think we will save that for another time. The Best Western Designer Inn and Suites has theme rooms here, so we looked at this hotel next. Unfortunately, all theme rooms were sold out (this was Valentines' weekend), but they did have a king bed with whirlpool and fireplace available for a lot less than in Dodgeville, so we booked it.) What a great choice!!!

The room was great for a romantic overnight not far from home. I am posting pictures to show how nice the room was. We will definitely come back and will try to get a theme room the next time. They look great from the pictures we have seen.

Anyway, our room was clean, nicely decorated, and well taken care of. The bed was comfy. There was a flat-screen TV. The whirlpool was way big enough for two and was in the bedroom, not some tiny tub stuffed off into a bathroom that only fits one. There was an inside and outside door. We were actually on the parking lot side on first floor, so we did not have much of a view or a balcony, but it looks beautiful from the other side of the hotel. I would request the side facing the woods if I was booking again, and I think a balcony would be nice too.

The staff were friendly and open to giving ideas on what to do.

We did not get a chance to try the breakfast or pool area, but we hope to try both of them in the future, as we have heard great things about them both.

We would definitely recommend this place to friends and will be back ourselves!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here in three years to go skiing. It is a 15 min drive to Chestnut, probably one of the closest hotels and is very affordable. Staff was very nice and friendly. The room (2 queen) was very spacioius and clean, including a nice sitting area and a porch. Breakfast includes hot choices- make your own waffles, eggs, meat- as well as pastries and the usual other amenities and is very good. The kids loved the indoor/outdoor pool and the hot tub was great after a day on the slopes. The pool closes at 10, would be nice if the pool stayed open until 11 on Friday & Saturday. The rooms look like they have been redone lately. The exterior and public spaces could use some lite maintenance and updating. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms on the second or third floor should be great however couples should consider one of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toledo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I were travelling and heard about what a great place Galena is to visit. Our stay at this hotel really made our trip fantastic. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and our room was very clean and spacious. We are planning our next stay there again soon and woulld highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Freeport, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here again. The room was really clean. The fireplace in the room was nice to have. The breakfast tasted good. It was presented well and kept clean. The desk clerk was very friendly.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubuque
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Awful! Pool is fairly small and only open til 10:00 at night! On a Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awful service got in the room the toilet wouldn't flush and went to call front desk well guess what? Phone didn't work! Then call her on our cell and she says well we can see what we can do with a hush. She comes up stomps through the room and fixes both and leaves and says have a nice night. Yea ok lady horrible room!

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I arrived at the Best Western in Galena and was quite impressed. The room was clean, spacious, well taken care. The service was great and so was the price. I would definitely come back. Although, I was not able to enjoy the breakfast or the pool because I wanted to stay in bed, other guests informed me they were great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Best Western Galena for 3 nights in early December. The hotel itself was very presentable - clean and tidy. The staff was very helpful and made sure we knew of all the amentities and answered any questions and made suggestions for local places to visit. The room itself was very nice, my fiance was very impressed with my choice for booking this hotel. :) It was a very large and open with a LOT of storage (if you need it). The bed was comfy and we liked the nice touches of the pottery lamps and old sewing wheel tv stand. We especially enjoyed the breakfast provided and the snacks the hotel offered too! There was always hot coffee if you needed it too! We utilized the pool and hot tub which were excellent and a great way to relax after a day of shopping and strolling. I also really enjoyed the fact that they offered WIFI so I could utilize that on my laptop. I did notice they also had a computer in the lobby for guest use. The hotel is also in a great location from downtown Galena. We had a nice time in Galena and when we return we will book at the Best Western!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Designer Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!