“Very nice place with a lot of amenities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Goldmoor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Goldmoor Inn
You added Goldmoor Inn to your Saves list
9001 Sand Hill Road, Galena, IL 61036   |
Ranked #11 of 34 Galena B&B and Inns
Waukee, Iowa
“Very nice place with a lot of amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very nice place to stay, however they are located about 8 miles out of the town. There were lots of winding, curvy roads. Restaurants, nice rooms, outdoor activities, great scenery. This was definitely more affordable than a bed and breakfast or staying in town

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We recently ate at the restaurant in this hotel. While our service was good, our food, or rather my food was very mediocre. I'm wondering if they have a young inexperienced chef who is trying to find his/her way around a kitchen and while doing so is trying new and experimental things. I ordered a simple fish entrée and was very disappointed in the lack of seasoning. It was dry, over cooked and a very boring dish. My friends were not very pleased with their dishes either. I wouldn't return for the food, there are too many other restaurants in the area to try.
Also, I do want to say something about the customer service or lack thereof. If you want good service you had better dress for the occasion. The hostess was rather rude upon our arrival but did warm up a bit when we were leaving. I also thought it rather odd when they stuck us in a back room and forgot about us for a very long time.
All in all a very disappointing evening.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have visited Galena many times in recent years and have stayed at a few different locations. I would say in the future Goldmoor will be our destination. From the moment we arrived it just felt comfortable and a place you want to be. Jill, who greeted us at the front desk was wonderful. Throughout the weekend we enjoyed her fun helpful personality. We will be disappointed if she is not there to greet us next year.( we have already reserved the turret room )
We stayed in the veranda suite, it was great. Large ,comfortable, very tastefully decorated. Our dinner Saturday night was fantastic. The beef Wellington is to die for, a must have. We thought the ambiance and service was wonderful.
In our opinion the breakfast was great. Warm and delivered to our room very promptly, and was delicious.
I have no complaints and look forward to our return visit

Room Tip: Ask questions, they are very helpful when booking your room. The web site photos are very good. The...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We just came back from our third visit to Galena. On our first trip, we were looking online at bed and breakfasts when my wife stumbled across this gem. We will not stay anywhere else. It's just a short ride south of downtown, which makes it really convenient, but out in the quiet countryside with a view of the Mississippi River backwaters.

The rooms are quiet and comfortable. Our first trip we stayed in the Turret Room. Really nice. Be prepared to go up and down stairs.

On our other two trips we stayed in the Chef's Quarters. It has a view of the Mississippi and it has a private large balcony/porch off the back overlooking the woods. We had breakfast served out there our first day this last trip, and we were able to entertain our friends out there the night before. The room comes with the added perk of priority seating at the Chef's table in the restaurant. It is upstairs from the kitchen, so it's really convenient to the dining room and the bar, but still very private and quiet. No kitchen noise or annoying kitchen smells, so the room really is well-designed.

The restaurant is outstanding. The food is great. I make it a point to order "outside my comfort zone" because I trust Chef Taylor. The seasonal soup (this trip, Curried Pumpkin Bisque ) is worth the trip alone. Our friend said he had the best ribeye steak he ever had. Last year I had the stuffed quail and this year the cornish game hen. My wife had the dumplings, and last year she had the pork chop which was done just right. Our waitress, Sue, recognized us from last year, and Erica was also very helpful and glad to see us.

For dessert my wife and I shared the bread pudding. I didn't want to share. The next night we got back to the hotel and I asked the bartender to send up two glasses of milk and a slice of the cheesecake.

We would stay there just for the breakfast. The morning we left, we had eggs benedict. The poached eggs were perfect. The creme brulee french toast the day before was fantastic.

The staff are so accommodating and friendly, which really makes the stay enjoyable. They even showed us the Mississippi Room (it was unoccupied) before we checked out so we could consider it for a future visit. By the way, it's a big room and the view of the Mississippi is as advertised.

Jill at the front desk was helpful in helping us book for next year, giving directions, and just giving good advice about visiting Galena. I never feel like we're a burden there, and we are always greeted with a warm smile.

If I can give some advice, make sure you read the room descriptions carefully as every room is different. Don't be afraid to ask staff questions about the weekend you're considering. They can tell you if some special event downtown will affect your visit.

There is wi-fi internet access but it isn't the fastest. Also your cell phone coverage out there is terrible. Good thing phone calls from your room is free. But you're here to relax, not work.

Room Tip: Read the website to make sure your room matches what you're looking for. Every room is different...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I got away for our anniversary and heard great things about the Goldmoor. The pictures were fabulous online, and considering how much we paid for the weekend, I was expecting something close to perfection. We stayed in the Irish Country Cottage and when we walked in, it reminded me of how my grandma's house smells. The room really does need fresh carpet, and new furniture. The breakfast area in our room had a small table and two chairs. The chairs were wood covered with fabric and the fabric was stained. The chair seemed like it would belong better in a workplace breakroom. We also had people in the room above us, so we heard them when they used the whirlpool, when they walked around, when they listened to music, and thank goodness it ended with just those things. We also shared an a/c unit with them apparently because when they shut the a/c off, it also shut ours off. The train noise is another story, and I'm surprised no one else mentioned the train in prior reviews. It's loud, and frequent. Had to sleep with the fan in the bathroom on to avoid the noise of the train at night, and the people above us. I guess I just expected more for the price we paid, which was higher than 10 days in Maui. The breakfast we had made me enjoy the weekend a little more, but dinner was a different story. Dinner inside was awkward because there's no background noise and we had to listen to the table next to us (and by 'next to us' I mean almost touching back-of-chair to back-of-chair) talk about their blood pressure issues and recent surgeries. Fun. And very NOT romantic. I should have recommended switching tables, but was told that certain tables are reserved, although the restaurant was mostly empty.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Big Bend, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We recently spent three nights at this Galena Inn, which is run as a bed and breakfast. The "bed" part is excellent! The "breakfast" part, not so much! We stayed in the Veranda Suite which was large, lovely, and very well-appointed. Comfortable bed, large whirlpool tub, fireplace, flat screen TV with every imaginable satellite channel, including movies, and a nice big bathroom with a large shower (great water pressure!) and heated towel racks. Also, some very nice little amenities in the little "kitchen" area - sink, microwave, frig stocked and restocked daily(!) with bottled water, coffee maker and real coffee (not those little packets so many places use!) and fresh, large, delicious cookies left everyday! One of the nicest rooms we've ever seen! The staff was friendly and welcoming. The grounds are delightful. Freight trains run about 1/4 mile away along the west side of the property and might bother you if you're a very light sleeper. We had no problem with them.
All that being said, the breakfasts were pretty awful! Cold eggs benedict, flavorless crepes, and rather soggy french toast during the 3 days we stayed. I would recommend the Goldmoor hire someone who knows how to cook if they want to continue to serve a hot breakfast, or change their service to continental style. There is an excellent cheese shop in town as well as a great bakery. I would have been much happier helping myself to some delicious granola, yogurt, fruit, cheese, a bit of bread or a muffin. So if the highlight of your B&B experience is a wonderful breakfast, stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you stay on the west side and like to sleep with the windows open, you will hear the trains going...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Monticello, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 13th Anniversary at the Goldmoor Inn last weekend. When I was researching a place to stay in Galena, I wanted a Bed and Breakfast that was upscale, not the typical victorian themed old home. When I came upon the Goldmoor Inn on the internet, it was just what I was looking for. However, I know that the internet can make places look wonderful, and then you get there and they are not what you expected at all and are a disappointment. The Goldmoor Inn is not one of those places. It was just what I was looking for and was even more beautiful in person that it was in the photos. Our GPS took on a very crazy (but beautiful scenic) route to get there, through Blanding Landing Recreation Area, but when we arrived, we were very impressed! It was out in the middle of nowhere up on a hill overlooking the Mississippi backwaters. The Inn is georgeous and the cabins and Cottages look nice too. Check in was easy and the check-in staff was very welcoming. Our room was wonderful. Clean. Large. We stayed in the Covington Suite, which is number 5. Right up front. It has a beautiful view of the backwaters and a little quiet screened in porch off the back to sit out and enjoy the view. We had cocktais out on the patio at the Inn and all of the staff were absolutely wonderful. They all stopped and chatted with us and made us feel so welcome. Customer service can be so hard to come by, and this place had great customer service. We ate at the restraunt at the Inn. The food was good. It wasn't the best I've ever had, but it was good and it was a quiet and romantic atmosphere without all of the hustle and bustle of a busy restraunt. Breakfast is included in your stay as it is in a typical Bed and Breakfast, but instead of eating in a dining room around a table of strangers, you have the choice of eating in the restraunt from 830-1030am or they will bring your breakfast directly to your room. The breakfast was delicious. We had egg strata one day and their Creme Brulee French Toast the next day. Both were wonderful. We ate in our room both days and the service was quick. The food was delivered to our room within minutes hot and the staff placed it on our table beautifully presented. I would highly reccommend this place for a quiet, beautiful, romantic getaway. We were very impressed by the location, the welcoming staff, the customer service, the cleanliness and the overall atmosphere. We will definitely be back soon and can't wait!!!! Oh, and it is about 10 minutes outside of downtown Galena. The drive up to the Golmoor is georgeous countryside and takes your breath away. Just a beautiful county all together.

Room Tip: All of their rooms are wonderful. We stayed in the Covington Suite, but the staff let us look at a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Goldmoor Inn? Share your experiences!