“Quiet and Quaint” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allen's Log Cabin Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Allen's Log Cabin Guest House
You added Allen's Log Cabin Guest House to your Saves list
11661 West Chetlain Lane, Galena, IL 61036   |
Ranked #29 of 34 Galena B&B and Inns
Montgomery, Illinois, United States
“Quiet and Quaint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My boyfriend, daughter and I spent the weekend in the Coach House along with our small, anxiety ridden pup. It was perfect for what we were looking for. Quiet, cute, and cozy. The coach house was very clean, no bugs, spider webs...nothing! We loved our stay, it was super close to downtown and a Walmart was right down the street. When we left for the evening our dog that freaks out in unfamiliar places, was right at home didn't bark or pace as she usually does. Tammy, the owner was extremely accommodating and friendly, she even gave us a bag of home grown cherry tomatoes for us when we checked out. :) We will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our cabin was the upper level of the original home's coach house. the owner was a General and kept the carriage in the lower level and his driver lived in the "cabin". as mentioned in the other reviews, the small "apartment" has floors that are original and the decorations like wall papers, paint, towels etc are all appropriate for the vintage feel.it was VERY cozy. Also our little dog, Teddy was more than welcome! he loved lounging on the porch and even being taunted by a pretty white cat. the property attracts dog-owners and therefore people who love animals, their own and those of other guests. That in itself make this place special :)
We also liked the feeling of total privacy. we could play the TV, and talk quietly on the porch and not have the feeling of being overheard or, bothering anyone. sometimes B+B's are not a private as one would like and this suited us well. we made coffee, enjoyed the breakfast bread and juice on the picnic table just below our porch. we chatted with other guests and, enjoyed a campfire on Saturday night. it was a perfect night to sit outside.
the room has a small fridge which we used to hold things for a picnic we took into the town. we walked the city with our dog all day, ate outdoors at a picnic table and then, when time to go out to dinner we simply drove the dog back to the room and left him while we went back to a restaurant. it allowed us to feel that our "home" was close and we could come back and forth from the town knowing he would sleep after all of the day's walking and climbing stairs!
The owner, Tammy is very friendly and seeks to make her property a "get-away" for those who want privacy and distance from the city life. She has created a casual, "easy" place to unwind.
we recommend the Log Cabin Guest House(s) to those seeking a blend of escape and comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed in the Parker Cabin for two nights in Aug 2013. We really enjoyed our stay. I have stayed in a lot of cabins in the last two years from Mich to Tenn. This is one of the nicest.

You have to understand, these are Rustic Cabins. These are not brand new cabin replicas. These are the real deal 1800s built cabins with some pleasant upgrades, like AC (which worked great), Whirlpool tub, TV, etc. If you can go into your stay with that expectation, you will not be disappointed. I saw a mention of fancy camping in another review, if you have camped before you will enjoy your stay here. Although the cabins have many great amenities it is not fair to compare this to staying in a Hotel. I am an avid camper, my wife is not :) Even she enjoyed herself very much.

Upon arrival the cabin smelled very clean. Floors were clean, bathroom was clean. It had a small coffee pot with coffee and mugs, fridge with breakfast in it and small microwave. Very nice thick towels and soap was provided.

The owner was very nice and offered us her cell phone number and said, call anytime for anything.

We spent the day in Galena (only a 5-10 minute drive to downtown) and the cabin was the perfect place to rest up. And we sure did need it. The Whirlpool tub was great for relaxing after a full day of walking downtown. We did get to see the cows outside our backdoor Saturday morning, but don't worry it doesn't smell like a cattle farm. It was actually very cool.

The cabins are very quite, private and cozy. We were not bothered by any noise or other guests, even as they enjoyed a campfire in the evenings. The owner seemed very concerned that we enjoyed our stay. Which we did and hope to return. Thanks for a wonderful stay and great memories.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I loved the cabin, which has been around since the early 1800s and had a truly rustic feel. A foremost priority for us was finding a pet-friendly place where we could bring our dog. The $25 pet fee was reasonable. We loved the word burning fireplace, and the jacuzzi was a nice touch too. Beds were adequately comfortable, though not to the extent that I'd expect when spending $250/night. Among the more unique features were the cows roaming the fenced off lot adjacent to the cabins. We were pleasantly surprised to wake up in the morning and see two cows grazing about 5 feet from our cabin. Great to hear nothing but silence other than birds chirping and cows mooing. An excellent getaway from Chicago. My wife and I will definitely be returning. From our view, there isn't a better place to stay in Galena and the cabin itself is the main reason we'll be returning to Galena next winter.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here last week for 1 night before spending the rest of the weekend on Main street with friends for the Luminaria festival (which was unfortunately cancelled due to rain). It was so wonderful!!! We stayed in the Rawlin's cabin.
Everything was perfect. Very quaint, private, and cozy. We felt like we were "roughing it" but with all of the modern amenities that we are accustomed to. The cabin was very clean and cute. The staff was very helpful/friendly upon our arrival. We built fires throughout the night, brought a cooler with food/booze, and grilled out on the little patio. The jacuzzi bath in the loft was great too! I also loved watching the cows in the morning right by our cabin. The wine corks are also such a fun touch! We definitely added a few of our own...
They really have thought of everything and I will definitely be back. I would recommend it to anyone and have already recommended it to many!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed there on 2008. We stayed in the Grant Cabin. We LOVED the idea of a log cabin and the rustic-ness of it being on a farm. We would wake up in the morning to the sounds of cows mooing in the pastures right outside our window. It had tranquil and absolutely serene views of the rolling hills. The inside of the cabin was quaint. Very rustic... log walls and wooden planked floors. Very 1800's-ish...

The only reason I did not give it a 5 star is that upon arrival, the place was a MESS. Dog hair on the couches (and I have dogs but this was obviously enough for me to complain), sheets were not cleaned and smelled of other people on the pillows and linens... This could have RUINED our vacation but instead, I went to Walmart around the corner and purchased all new sheets, blankets and pillows. Sounds kind of extreme but I honestly just wanted to rest enjoy our stay and feel comfortable in this adorable log cabin. I purchased a broom and dustpan, and bathroom cleaning supplies as well!!!

After an hour or so of cleaning, we just wanted to relax in the jacuzzi tub that I cleaned to a sparkle so I turned on the hot water, filled up the large tub and turned the jets on... to my surprise, little tiny dead nats were coming out of the jets!!! I had to drain the whole thing... fill it again with cold water and run the jets again just to make sure they were all out. Then drained it again, and cleaned the tub before refilling it again! Which by the way we had to wait for the water to heat up again...

I think I tried calling the office to ask why our room was not cleaned but don't think they were available.

Would I stay here again? You bet! I just know now to come prepared. I'm bringing my house with me :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tammara K, Owner at Allen's Log Cabin Guest House, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
I see you stayed in 2008. I am the owner's daughter, Tammy and I have been here since August of 2011. We have terminated the previous managers and I am now the sole manager and housekeeper (with some help from my son). I have made some major improvements and I do all the housekeeping myself. You can see from recent reviews that things have changed tremendously around here. I am very sorry you had such a bad experience and I can't wait for you to come back and see how the place has shaped up!
Spring Valley, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was our 1st visit & def not our last! The cabins looked a little rough on the outside but keep in mind they are over 100 years old. The inside SUPRISED as they were very well kept & clean with the modern amenities we are accustomed to. Tammy was great to work with from the reservations to the checking out. Very friendly & gave you the personal attention that big name hotels lack. Very close to the city & downtown Galena but yet in the country enough to give you that "roughing it" feeling. Extremely relaxing & beautiful!! Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Allen's Log Cabin Guest House? Share your experiences!