“Disappointed for the first time.” 3 of 5 stars

Longhollow Point Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5129 Longhollow Rd, Galena, IL 61036   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Evanston, Illinois
“Disappointed for the first time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We have stayed here several times. Front best staff are wonderful, helpful, and always willing to make things right. The rooms are clean, bright, large. The chain has gone green, not a bad idea but they have gone too far. Water hard, water saving shower heads make taking a shower a chore. Not enough water to rinse soap off. Front desk said that was their biggest complaint.
Still best value.

• Stayed November 2011
6 Thank WeloveB-Bs

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

My husband and I decided to go to Galena for his birthday weekend. We checked in to the Longhollow Point Inn and were immediately impressed. The setting is beautiful, the room was clean and updated, there was a large whirlpool tub and gas fireplace.

I thought it was a bit odd that the bed was a Murphy bed and had to be unfolded from the wall, but it seemed comfortable enough that it didn't matter.

I was excited to try out the enormous tub, started to fill it up, and was disappointed when the water was a murky brown! I let the water run for a while and it just got worse. After giving up on the bath, we went to sleep, only to hear entire conversations from the adjoining rooms. I've never been in a hotel with such thin walls. I woke up several times during the night from noises in the hall or other rooms, didn't want to take a shower in brown water or make coffee with the brown water and checked out feeling tired and in need of a shower.

Although the resort had some definite positives, I wouldn't return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank cmw133
Lincoln, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We just got back from our trip to Galena. We were there for a week and had an amazing time! We used a week of a family timeshare and exchanged it for this resort. Longhollow Point Inn was a beautiful resort with an indoor swimming pool and spa. The rooms were recently remodeled and very cozy. I could see it being a great romantic getaway, there is a fireplace and a Jacuzzi tub. We went with our 20 month old son though and still had a wonderful time. It was great to be able to cook some meals there and save money. There was also a washer and dryer in the room and that was very convenient. We stayed in a one bedroom, the studio rooms don't have a washer and dryer but there is one on site to use for free. The only thing I would change would be that I wish they had more TV stations. I think it was just a basic 12 or 13 channels. The resort did have movies though that we could rent and that was great. The people at the front desk were so helpful. Stacy gave me loads of info on all the attractions and restaurants. I would love to go back sometime in the winter too.

Very pleased :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Love2Travel_0899
Lockport, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

The first thing we noticed about the hotel was that is was extremely clean. The staff was very nice and helpful about restaurants and sites to see. We stayed in a studio which was enough space for my husband and I. The whirlpool tub was great and plenty big. The fireplace was such a nice touch to the room. I read reviews about being able to see through the bathroom, but they have a wooden screen that you put up when you are using the bathroom, so that wasn't a big deal at all. I am not sure if they made those later after hearing all the complaints about it. The only complaint that we had was that the shower was extremely small. We are pretty small people ourselves and we had a hard time. There is no where to put anything in there and you can barely move around. It could have been a little bigger considering the bathroom is huge. Overall very nice place to stay, very quiet, and would definitely go again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luvinvaca07
Plainfield, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We checked in the Worldmark Galena / Longhollow Point Inn this past weekend, August 15, and stayed for 4 days. We had a one-bedroom unit with a king-sized bed and an additional queen-sized Murphy bed in the living area. The entire unit was remarkably clean and unlike other resorts we’ve stayed in before, this one did not have any smells when we entered. It felt brand new. The bathroom was very spacious and even had a whirlpool tub which our 2-year old son thoroughly enjoyed. The kitchenette was well stocked with utensils, pots, pans, spices, dishwashing detergent, garbage liners, paper towel and the kitchen appliances (e.g. blender, toaster, coffee maker, refrigerator, electric stove, microwave oven, dishwasher) were all clean and well-maintained. I should mention though that the coffee they had on stock did not taste very good so we had to get our own after trying out one pack. We also had our own washer/dryer inside the unit and we were very pleased to find that the resort also provided us with laundry detergent good for two loads.

Our unit was on the second floor towards the back of the building which afforded us a nice view of the hills in Galena. However, I would imagine that if you ended up on the lower floor or any unit facing the parking lot, the view would probably leave much to be desired. During our stay, the building was undergoing some roof repairs and so workers were on our balcony for the most part of the day. Obviously this kept us from maximizing the use of the space and ultimately, covered our nice view. We were also woken up by the noise of the on-going repairs as their work starts at 8am each day.

There’s also an indoor pool which, again, our son enjoyed so much. Other than that though, there’s no other interesting activity that a toddler might be able to enjoy within the resort. There is only one computer for public use in the lobby/common area which is another downside, in my opinion. But then again, if you’re truly on vacation, you won’t really need the computer/internet much other than for emergencies or a quick surf for points of interest in the surrounding areas.

Overall, I would highly recommend this resort given the amenities, the overall appearance, cleanliness, friendliness of staff and location relative to downtown Galena. It’s a great place for a relaxing vacation!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank saloff73
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

I can't describe how satisfied I was with the conditions at this hotel. The people that wrote before me described the amenities very well, so I will not repeat them. One thing to mention is that 10 min. from downtown Galena does not seem so far away for me. I must say that I enjoyed the quietness and the cleanliness of this hotel.
I would definitely recommend this place to everyone and this will be my "future home" in Galena :)
P.S. A very romantic place

• Liked — The amenities
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank West_Ridge72
Overland Park, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

My husband and I took our first "road trip" to Galena earlier this month. He booked a studio at the Longhollow through Expedia without knowing much about it. Overall, we enjoyed our stay but there are a couple of things to be aware of. First, it's not all that easy to find. It is south of Galena about seven miles and is not well marked. It is part of another resort so make sure you get explicit directions about where to turn onto the property or you will drive right by it. Second, the fact that it's seven miles from Galena means you have to be willing to drive into town for meals. Don't expect anything at all to be within walking distance.
The property itself is very clean and well kept. There was a basketball court, indoor swimming pool, sauna, hot tub, and workout room. The only internet connection appeared to be DSL in the lobby, so if you want to check your emails there is a computer available for your use. There was also a pretty decent selection of newer movies (DVDs) for rent (I believe all the rooms have a TV with DVD player in them). On the back side of the propery was a very nice patio area with two gas bar b que grills.
Our room was a "studio" suite, which was small but very serviceable. There was a couch, chair, and coffee table, along with a dining table and two chairs and a pull-down "murphy bed" that allowed you to have more room during the day. The kitchen included a nice size fridge, microwave, sink, dishes, silverware, and small appliances like toaster and coffee maker. There are two grocery stores in Galena (Piggly Wiggly and Wal-Mart), so we went to Piggly Wiggly on our first day and bought groceries (snacks, soda, breakfast items, and food for dinner one evening which we cooked out on the bar b que). I highly recommend going to the grocery store and picking up things like soda and breakfast items, as it is seven miles into town and not all that easy to make a snack run at 7 p.m. at night.
The bathroom had a HUGE jetted bathtub, with a see-through fireplace into the living room. There was also a shower, which was not as nice as the bathtub! Don't expect all the amenities like shampoo and lotion. There were two small bars of soap and ample towels, but nothing else. They did have a hairdryer, which was a nice touch. Bring your own bar of soap if you want a bar for the sink, a bar for the bathtub, a bar for the shower, and a bar for the kitchen sink. We did ask and got extra soap, no problem.
When we stayed, it was Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, leaving on a Sunday morning. I think because it was off-season and there were no festivals or special events in town, we had the place pretty much to ourselves. Saturday evening there were a few more people checking in, but the place was dead quiet in the evenings and we never heard anyone else around. In fact, I think they have specific "quiet times", including adult-only swimming, which was very nice.
There are two different "views:" the back side of the property which looks out over the valley, and the front side which looks out onto the parking lot. We stayed in Room 1221, which had a fabulous view of the valley. We got up each morning and would sit on the back deck, listening to the birds chirp. Even though the property was right off Highway 20, there was very little, if any, road noise.
All in all, we would give high marks to the property, in spite of the fact that it is outside of town. There are a couple of antique malls/shops not too far from the property heading back into Galena, which were fun to visit.
The staff was very nice and helpful. However, they aren't on official desk duty at night or early morning, so we ended up checking out by leaving our key and rented DVD in the room. The staff recommended several nice places in town to eat, and several local attractions, which was helpful. One thing they didn't mention was how close you are to Taliesen, Frank Lloyd Wright's home in Wisconsin. If you are a FLW groopie like I am, it was a shock to see how close we were and never have it mentioned by the staff.
Overall, we would definitely recommend staying at Longhollow and will stay there again if we are in the area. Galena itself was a disappointment but the nice get-away at Longhollow more than made up for it.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, lots of amenities
  • Disliked — Distance from Galena
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank NoOceanInKansas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galena
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena
Hotel Julien Dubuque
#2 of 17 in Dubuque
4.5 of 5 stars 1,385 reviews
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to Longhollow Point Inn? Share your experiences!