“Just right!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Just right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I had a very nice stay at this Country Inn and Suits. Clean rooms and campus. Nice breakfast with hours that allowed you to sleep in a little. Nice little water slide for fun for the kids if you have them. Only down side was our room did not have a refrigerator or microwave that we've come to expect at this motel chain. Very close to the charming town of Galena.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Madison, wi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I took a chance and boy was I disapointed. The day was sweltering when we arrived and after opening the room door a waft of smoke came out! The maid sprayed some Febreeze but the room still reeked! They offered an upgrade to another room. Here is the good part... it was a same type of standard room on the next floor up. Fine (not). We stayed in the room and got settled in then went down to the pool. More problems. They had the air conditioning shut off and it was like a Turkish bath with out the steam. I opened both of the emergency doors and propped some chairs up to them to hold them open. It reeked of clorine in there also.

Now, back to the cleanliness or lack of it. The room was heavily coated with dust and the carpet was very worn with something that looked like grease in the middle of the rug and long overdue for a good extrtaction (cleaning)! Also, I saw some brown stuff behind the toilet and I am pretty sure what it was. I will be filing a report with the Jo Davies county health inspectors who oversee such things.

Now to the food area (breakfast), I caught a quick glimpse of a couple of bugs scurrying to close for comfort to the eggs. I'm no entimologist but, they sure look like roaches to me. This will be included in my report as well! I wasn't hungry anymore.

Finally, the hotel reniged on my liesure rate for one of my 2 rooms. I recieved mine only because the manager said to me, it got by them and "I lucked out"! I turned the other room over to my niece who is in the Navy and after promising her a government liesure rate discount like mine and then reniging.

I would sugest going north on highway 20 20 miles to Dubuque where you will certainly get much better hotels and rates for sure.

Room Tip: Stay away from Galena as the town is an over run expensive tourist trap.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Galena, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding our hotel. We are an award winning hotel and regret that you were unhappy during your visit due to our goverment rate policy. Our guest health and saferty our our number one priority and if you would like to discuss this further contact me immedietlt at 815-777-2400.
Lebanon, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel. The rooms were very spacious. We did not use the pool, but my sister and her daughter did and said they enjoyed it. The hotel is closed to several restaurants and Wal-Mart, which is convenient. The breakfast was good. There was a variety of items to choose from, both hot and cold. The only negative about the breakfast was that the room where it is served is tiny. When there are a lot of people in there, it's hard to move around and find a place to sit and eat. The Wi-Fi connection kept going in and out of service, but it is nice that the Wi-Fi is free. Rooms were well maintained and clean. We would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Just a short way from downtown Galena. Clean, quiet, comfortable. Seemed fairly new. Because this property has an indoor "water park" slide (both a very small one in a kiddie pool and a large one in the regular pool), I suspect that on weekends the pool area is really busy. We were there during the week and the pool area was fairly calm. We enjoyed our stay. We went out before breakfast, so can't comment about that. Yes, we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Freeport, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I used to work cleaning rooms for a hotel chain, and I can tell you this hotel is very clean. The staff are very accommodating, and the breakfast is good. I travel a lot for work and have stayed at a lot of places, and this is one of my favorites. It's also a great hotel for kids as it has a water slide. I always use this hotel when in town.

Room Tip: Watch for deals on the internet or elsewhere as this hotel is a little pricy. But it is worth the mo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I had read reviews before making reservations and was so pleased when we got there and got a room on the third floor facing the east. We were also upgraded to a jacuzzi room at no charge. The breakfast was great and the staff was very friendly. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Third floor, back of hotel
Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
cx_gala, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Galena, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Country Inn & Suites Galena. We are very pleased to here you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
mayville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Clean, friendly and good breakfast. A nice place to stay away from downtown yet close enough to drive there. Quiet and relaxing with a nice pool and hot tub and water slide

Room Tip: check the internet for a deal or senior rate
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Country Inn & Suites Galena. I am happy to hear that you had a restful and relaxing stay and we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to the area.

Been to Country Inn & Suites Galena? Share your experiences!