“Outstanding evening” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Goldmoor Dining is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 55 restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Black Jack Road
Description: Unmatched Old World decor, a diverse wine cellar, and premier personal service are all complemented by our chef"s creative cuisine. Enjoy dining in one of our cozy booths or elegant tables with breathtaking views overlooking the Mississippi River.
Freeport, Illinois
“Outstanding evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The food and service were excellent. We started with the Wild Mushroom Bruschettay which was outstanding. My wife and daughter had the Beef Wellington, I had the Ribeye. We had a terrific evening and will definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013

92% Recommend
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dallas, TX
“Beef Wellington, beautiful views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Signe, our waitress, was the best! The beef wellington and wine were also fabulous. We will definitely be back!

Visited January 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
“Gourmet meal in Galena”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were celebrating our anniversary and called the day before to make a reservation after some research on this site. The person on the phone was very helpful. It is not difficult to find, just follow the directions. It was light out when we drove there and we were glad of that as it was overcast with only a sliver of moon out. It is dark out there with a capital D until you get near the hotel and restaurant complex. Every seating had a large window to observe the sunset had it not been raining and I'll bet that would be beautiful from the bluff overlooking the river there. Meal was delicious - prime rib, beef Wellington. Desserts yummy - we had a cheesecake with blueberries and lemon topping. I know...how could we after a meal that sumptuous (I boxed up half of my prime rib to take home). Wait staff very attentive and we had a very relaxing meal. Would recommend this for a couple or a small party of adults.

• Visited March 2013
Hazel Crest, Illinois
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Our breakfast was delicious, and our dinner (my husband enjoyed the bone-in ribeye steak and I had the salmon) was outstanding.

Visited March 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
“Excellent place for a romantic dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We decided to head to Galena for a last-minute overnight trip from Dubuque (about 20 minutes away) to celebrate my birthday. We quickly booked a hotel and just headed over without any ideas on where to have dinner. I pulled up Tripadvisor on the ride over and found this was the #1 rated place for restaurants, so we decided to give it a try.

We called just after arriving in Galena and asked if they had any seating available. They did, so off we went. It was a 6-mile drive from Galena down a windy country road. We almost got lost, but they did a great job with giving us directions over the phone.

Upon arriving, we see a beautiful castle-type building (took pictures, but it was too dark for them to show up well). We walked in, they took our coats, and we were seated right away. We were not actually dressed up for the occasion and wondered if we would feel out of place. We didn't have to worry about that because, even though the place just exudes elegance and romance, we immediately felt comfortable in our jeans and casual clothes. However, this would be a great place to dress up for if you wanted.

We happened to be there the weekend of Valentine's, and they had a special going on all weekend long that included a free glass of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert. What a nice surprise!!! They asked if we wanted our champagne right away or with dessert. We took it right away. My hubby ordered the duck with pasta, and I ordered the Beef Wellington. Both entrees came with bread and a delicious butter (I think it was honey and something else) and a salad, which included the greens, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, pepperoncini, and a delicious raspberry vinaigrette dressing. There was also some crispy crouton type of item in it (asked what it was but don't remember now) that was delicious. We also each separately ordered a bowl of soup. He got the butternut squash, and I got the French onion soup, both of which were delicious (we each tried the others, as we did with the entrees). The duck dish was excellent and the Beef Wellington was also, which included mashed potatoes and a puff pastry. For dessert, we had our complimentary chocolate-covered strawberries; however, they do bring a dessert tray around to tempt you with some of their other dessert items, which also looked so yummy!

We were here after dark, so we did not get to see the beautiful sunsets that you hear so much about, but we did get to hear a train every once in awhile off in the distance, which makes a nice romantic backdrop noise for the meal. We will try to make it again before it gets dark!

I believe our waitress' name was was Linda. She was a sweetie all the way through. Just as we were finishing dinner, I asked what was going on with seeing other workers walking guests around towards the kitchen. She told us that, on nights that were not overly busy, they can take guests right into the kitchen to show them around. Wow! How many places do that? Anyhow, she asked if we would like to see the kitchen too. Well, heck yah, we would love to. So, back we go, and she introduces us to some of the workers back there, including the chef. He looked really young, and we could not believe that this young man cooked such a delicious, 5-star type of meal. (He must have gone to some type of culinary school or had a great teacher because the food seemed to have been prepared by someone who has been cooking a long, long time and knows how to make a delicious meal, not to mention the presentation of the food). You can probably tell we were extremely pleased with everything here in this restaurant. Top notch all the way!!!!

A few last comments: I would not bring children to this restaurant. That quiet, romantic kind of get-away-from-the-kids type of atmosphere that it puts out would kind of be ruined by that, whether you think your children are well-behaved and used to fine dining or not. That is just our opinion!!!!

Also, we did want to add that this is not a "fast-food diner," and there will be a little bit of a wait. If you want to rush in, eat, and get out, this is probably not for you. If you want to spend some quality time with quality people and enjoy a lovely meal, we definitely recommend this place!!!

We read a lot about this place being expensive, so I was a little worried about ordering extra drinks and what not, since I could not find pricing on the drinks (I probably just missed where it was), but we ended up only having water and our complimentary glasses of champagne. Our total bill was less than $70 (bread/butter, 2 salads, 2 entrees - not to mention our complimentary dessert and drink), Now, had I known that this place is actually reasonably priced like that (I spend way more at Olive Garden if I have a drink or two), then we would have relaxed a bit more and probably had some more drinks. It really is not expensive, unless you are comparing it to some casual dining place. You are defintiely getting what you pay for here, and then some!!!!

They also invite you to post a review on Tripadvisor about them when you are getting ready to leave. They obviously want all their guests to have an experience to tell others about, and we know they read their reviews, which is always a good sign of people caring about what their customers think of their business!

Obviously, we highly recommend!!!

• Visited February 2013