“Easter Brunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Galena, Illinois
“Easter Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Even though many restaurants in our area were offering Easter Brunch this past Sunday, we chose a trip to Chestnut Mountain Resort. It was well worth the drive! The selections were just right, ham, omelets and the rest of the traditional brunch fare. Seated along the slope side windows it was the perfect place to view Spring time arriving on the bluffs of the Mississippi while enjoying our meal. It is very obvious that the chefs and staff take pride in their offerings as all were prepared perfectly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I went to chestnut mountain over the weekend with my family. Not to beat a dead horse, but the rooms are very outdated, and full of water damage/mold. I could go more into detail about what was done wrong but I would rather focus on a couple of things they could do to prove the experience.
1. Put working hair dryers in the rooms. Out of two rooms, neither had a working one and it is not fun to ski with frozen hair
2. Invest in linens that have fitted sheets ( at the very least). I do not appreciate waking up to find myself sleeping directly on the mattress.
3. Put coffee makers in the rooms.
4. Train your waitstaff. They were unfamiliar with their drink menus and seemed to care less if we were there or not
5. Fix the cracks in the doors by the pool. It isn't fun to get out of the pool and feel a negative windchill streaming through the door.

I cannot argue the convenience factor and that obviously dictates the high price, but just having a few of these things taken care of would not cost the hotel much and it would ALMOST justify the price.

• Stayed March 2014
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We spent 3 days at this property for New Years. It was our first time. We've traveled with 4 year old. Place is older, but very clean (it felt like 90's, but we liked it). We stayed at 3 rd floor (no elevator) and had very big room.
Everything is very close, ski rental, restaurants, ski shop and lifts.
All is very well organized, people are nice.
Plenty of parking spaces. When we were there place was not crowded at all, we didn't have to wait
for restaurant or lifts etc.

Room Tip: Get room at third , its very big!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed here when I was in the area working (January 2014) and I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. It was clean and comfortable.and everything worked well. The staff was friendly and when I called to reserve, I asked for a government rate and the manager immediately agreed, even though this is probably their busy time and she didn't have to. I expected to have a small room but that was not the case.

Only thing I was disappointed in is they do not have a workout room, not even a treadmill.

The Summit Grill and Bar is a wonderfully delightful place, big, airy with a fantastic view. The bar is beautiful! Limited choices of food and everything I had was great. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
North Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

You can't deny how fantastic the skiing/snowboarding is here. It is and has been consistantly great! I almost feel bad comparing it in any way to the resort, as they are complete opposites.

The first thing you will notice is the extremely rude staff where ever you go in the resort, except for the bar. At check-in the staff was very rude and not helpful in any way. The rooms.. The rooms are tired and dirty. The couch had a huge stain, as well as the comforter and sheets as well.

One part that I really did enjoy was the view, the place has a fantastic view, very beautiful. However, it was runied by how dirty the widows were, with the weather strippping falling out of the window and hanging down.

We ended up not staying the night, but wanted to give the summit grill a fair chance before heading back home on a 3 hour drive. The waitress was polite, but just went through the motions. I ordered the ribs, and my finace ordered the chicken pasta. The pasta was not bad at all, basically an adult portion of mac and cheese with chicken thrown in. The ribs... they were different. The meat was tender with good flavor, but was ruined by the jelly like "home made BBQ sauce".

Overall, the saying "You get what you pay for" did not apply to this trip. The hotel rooms are extremely overpriced for the cleanliness and quality. The staff is not friendly and couldn't care less about guests. After we saw the room, we went to the front desk to possibly get a refund, or even move to a cleaner room, it was a sunday so I would assume they had an empty room or two. I asked the lady working at the front desk if there was any chance we could be refunded for the cost of the room, and that we wouldnt be staying the night. She did not ask why we wanted a refund, if anything was wrong, if there was anything she could do to help, or if a simple room change would work. But instead she just took my card, walked in to the main office to tell the superior about the situation, she then shook her head, came out and refunded my card. No apology or question as to why we would not be staying. Overall it was very disappointing. We used to love this place, and love coming here. This place needs an overhaul and a staff that doesnt resent the guests. I hate being rude and asking for a refund, or feeling like I am too picky, this place puts you in that position. I would choose eagle ridge or the closest motel 6.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel is worn and old, but clean and convenient for skiers. Our room was a typical 2 star quality room with basic amenities. I would stay here again for a ski race weekend, but would look for a nice bed and Breakfast in Galena for a couples weekend. On site restaurant was decent and the Pizza at the Bar looked very good (we didn't order it). Food choices in Town of Galena are Very good!

Room Tip: Plan to drive 20 minutes into Galena for really good food
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Park Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Brought my 2 kids 17 and 11 stayed in a suite. We are beginners and the skiing was fun. The bunny hill and beginner slopes were perfect. Renting equipment was a breeze. Food and drink was good. The rooms are large and comfortable somewhat outdated but between the gorgeous views and friendly staff Chestnut is worth the drive.

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Chestnut Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!