“A 2.5 star restaurant at best” 2 of 5 stars

(815) 777-8100
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vinny Vanucchi's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 55 restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington
Chicago, Illinois
“A 2.5 star restaurant at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Wife and two older teenage children stopped in last night (Sunday) around 7:15pm. Given Galena's shops mostly between 5-6 pm I wasn't expecting this restaurant to be busy and it wasn't.

While we preferred to sit outside, the hostess decided to put us up on the 3rd floor at a table in the far corner. While noticing who else was in the room you had two two's and a table of 6 besides ourself who were pretty much already into their dining experience.

Was seated and waited about 10 minutes before the waitress decided to pop over with 3 glasses of water and menu's. Perhaps it was a long day, a bad day whatver the reason but she was extremely slow throughout the entire meal.

As for food, Salad was plentiful but the house salad dressing was bland. As another review wrote, the garlic bread was literally soaking with butter. My son who loves garlic bread had two slices and said I can't have any more.

Main courses were Alfredo with angel hair pasta. Portion size was good but son said it could have been hotter. Matter of fact, every one our meals was luke warm at best. I had Papa Johns shells. Nothing special about them at all, what I found amusing was the amount of 3. Wife and daughter even commented about "will that be enough food". One thing I did notice, all I had was 3 shells sitting in red sauce. No care was given to presentation.

We decided on dessert afterwards Chessecake (Ok) 2 layer chocolate cake (ok, this was really good) then we were able to get the grilled peaches from the summer menu. Not one of the peaches were grilled, matter of fact the tasted like they came out of a can or freezer and microwaved. 2 bites and the plate was put aside.

Let me go back to the waitress, perhaps management should review how to serve too. Never serve cross table when there's room by each person. NEVER touch and pull the straw from a empty glass some is drinking from and place it in another. (She did this and we all looked at each other stunned). Bring another straw with you.

I would suggest looking at other places before this one.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Illinois
“The manager made our Day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Awesome food......awesome service....we asked the manager for a nice table and he told us he had the best table in town.....he walked us to a table overlooking main street. We tried slipping him a 20 but he refused. On the way out we could tell that he really did care about our dinning experiance. THis place is the best and we will be back

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Great "little" Italian joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I've dined here for lunch and dinner dozens of times over the years. It's a great place to go for lunch or dinner (though be ready for a doggie bag if you order any dinner dish especially pasta). The bread is one of my top 5 guilty pleasures...loaded with garlic-infused, drawn butter. The salad dressing is great. As in any Italian joint, I judge the food by the entrees that I couldn't easily make at home (ie I don't care if you can stuff a manicotti, throw some marinara on pasta, or throw some shells in the steamer). This place has at least 3 simply amazing dishes (ranked from best - still awesome) Chicken Vinito, Pasta Ala Vinny, and Pollo Compomare. The Vinito is a spicey, garlicy olive oil with loads of artichokes, tomatoes and grilled chicken...mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm. I crave this dish and the garlic bread on a regular basis.

As for atmosphere, the patio is great in the summer, the main dining rooms are great for a regular family type meal and the bistro is a great date setting. Overall, it's not really the type of place you'd go to propose marriage at (think Flying Horse in Galena) but it's a great, reasonably priced Italian meal and a perfect place to bring the whole family. Remember reservations because the weekends get very busy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland, Ohio
“WE LOVED THIS PLACE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We were in Galena over the the weekend and had dinner at Vinny Vanucchis. Everything was wonderful. I proposed to my girlfriend earlier on in the day at Grant Park-of course she said yes!. I wanted to find the best place in town so i asked almost every shop we walked into. Almost everyone told us to go to vinny vanuchhis, so we did. My fiancee had the Pasta Ala Vinny- she said it was to die for. I had the Pollo Compromare and almost ordered another one to go it was so good. We Would recomend this place to anyone. It reminded me of a place my parents took me to when i was younger when we lived in New York. WE WILL DEFINATELY RETURN!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, IL
“Worst Restaurant I have ever been to, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The food is very overpriced and tasted horrible. I make better pasta and chicken and steak at home! I was disgusted to have to pay so much for such crappy food. Honestly taco bell tastes better then the meal my husband and I had at this restaurant. The food was bordering on inedible and was WAY too expensive considering how poorly it was made and tasted. I ordered chicken with pasta and the pasta sauce was bland and flavorless and the chicken was dry and had not been marinated or seasoned at all. My husband ordered the steak marsala, the white wine sauce with the mushrooms looked and tasted horrible. The sauce was already separating when they put his plate on the table. His steak also lacked any seasoning and was tough and chewy. We spent $71.00 with tip on a meal that was tasteless. We make steak and pasta at home that has more flavor then Vinny Vanucchi's. Their garlic bread is also awful. It is toasted bread drenched in a garlic butter, it was greasy and also lacking any seasoning or flavor which seemed to be the running theme of all of their food. I was disgusted to be paying so much for bad food, easily the worst restaurant I have ever been to. The restaurant was also very hot, so I hope you like sweating while you eat. It did not feel as if they had any air conditioning on at all. I normally bring a sweater or shawl with when we go out to eat as I get cold easily, but At Vinny Vanucchi’s I was even hot and sweating and I was only wearing a small strapless dress. I am honestly baffled that this restaurant has any good reviews?

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere