“Worst Restaurant I have ever been to, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!” 1 of 5 stars

(815) 777-8100
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vinny Vanucchi's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 57 Restaurants in Galena
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington
Chicago, IL
“Worst Restaurant I have ever been to, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The food is very overpriced and tasted horrible. I make better pasta and chicken and steak at home! I was disgusted to have to pay so much for such crappy food. Honestly taco bell tastes better then the meal my husband and I had at this restaurant. The food was bordering on inedible and was WAY too expensive considering how poorly it was made and tasted. I ordered chicken with pasta and the pasta sauce was bland and flavorless and the chicken was dry and had not been marinated or seasoned at all. My husband ordered the steak marsala, the white wine sauce with the mushrooms looked and tasted horrible. The sauce was already separating when they put his plate on the table. His steak also lacked any seasoning and was tough and chewy. We spent $71.00 with tip on a meal that was tasteless. We make steak and pasta at home that has more flavor then Vinny Vanucchi's. Their garlic bread is also awful. It is toasted bread drenched in a garlic butter, it was greasy and also lacking any seasoning or flavor which seemed to be the running theme of all of their food. I was disgusted to be paying so much for bad food, easily the worst restaurant I have ever been to. The restaurant was also very hot, so I hope you like sweating while you eat. It did not feel as if they had any air conditioning on at all. I normally bring a sweater or shawl with when we go out to eat as I get cold easily, but At Vinny Vanucchi’s I was even hot and sweating and I was only wearing a small strapless dress. I am honestly baffled that this restaurant has any good reviews?

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Chicago
“Great atmosphere & service, reasonable prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We enjoyed a late lunch at Vinny's today, and it was just what we were looking for. They give you plenty of food, as the salad and garlic bread just keep coming. The salad was the best part of the meal - they have a great dressing. The pasta dishes we ordered weren't spectacular, but they were good. The service was great, and our server kept our glasses full without pestering us. The atmosphere is nice . The only negative thing I have to say is that the place isn't very stroller friendly. You can't get to any of the indoor tables without going up or down a set of stairs. However, not many places in Galena accommodate strollers - small children aren't the target audience.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
chicago
“Best Garlic Bread Anywhere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We visit Vinny's every time we're in Galena. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is very inviting. The prices are reasonable too.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
chicago, illinois
“Terrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I were in Galena in October. Our first night here we thought we would go for a romantic dinner at Vinny's. Let me just say that there was no romantic ambiance and the food was horrible. I ordered the chicken picatta with artichoke hearts, no lemon flavoring and guess what, no artichoke hearts, just grease. My boyfriend ordered the chicken marsala and it was in some brown sauce. I have never had or seen chicken marsala in a brown sauce. EEwwww..... I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Galena, Illinois
“Will always be a favorite.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I have tried several menu items, and will always love Vinny Vanucchi's! On this occasion, I had the Italian sausage sandwich. The meat was lean and had just the right "heat." Not so much that I was sweating and blowing my nose at the table and not too timid, either. I chose pasta as the side dish, which was nothing terribly special, but it was playing a supporting role on the entree anyhow so I was not disappointed in the least. I was only able to put away about half of the main course, and took the rest home in a doggy bag.

I chose to save my appetite for the main event, so I did not indulge in the bread on this account, but helped myself to a serving of salad. I like that they include whole banana peppers in their salad. Just a few here and there, so if you don't like them you can definitely get around them. I always take one and save it for the last bite of my salad. It is one of my favorite parts of the meal. Also, the salad is dressed with just the right amount of vinaigrette and fresh Parmesan, and requires no additional seasoning at the table.

As for the service, our waitress was very polite and professional. She memorized our order and got everything out to the table correctly. Also, when I looked up from my menu and gazed into her eyes, I forgot what i wanted to order for a moment!

While we made it for an early dinner (5:00p) we were glad we made reservations. By the time we left the place had filled out a quite a bit. The atmosphere was lively but at reasonable volume. I love this restaurant and will continue to return on a regular basis. As a local, I can definitely understand why Vinny Vanucchi's has become such a legendary trademark of downtown Galena dining.

• 5 of 5 stars Food