“Very pleased in all respects with comfort and convenience” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Illinois
“Very pleased in all respects with comfort and convenience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I booked the Hotel Orrington for late July '09, on short notice at heavy discount on an opaque service where you name your own price. I was immensely pleased with the Orrington! The location was superb in downtown Evanston, the el(evated rail) was only 2 blocks away, and multiple dining options are within a few steps of the lobby. The staff was friendly and helpful (the valet helped me avoid getting towed), and the housekeeping was first-rate. I did not allow a few other inconsiderate guests to impair my vacation. The room was large, comfortable, and very well appointed, including the standard amenities, plus bathrobes in the closet, very large and absorbant towels, plentiful hot water, perfect climate control, free internet, and a compact but fully functional en-suite bathroom. The bedding was comfortable, and there was a fully-stocked minibar of which I did not avail myself. Given my discounted rate, I did not mind paying $20/night for valet parking (self parking in a city garage around the corner is available at somewhat less cost). The television channel options are somewhat limited, but adequate to my interests. I will definitely stay again at the Orrington, should my travels once again take me to Evanston.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Approaching the Hotel Orrington from the street, one sees a 1920s vintage building that is pleasant looking, but was never designed as grand hotel. That's pretty much the story inside. The lobby and check in desk are scrunched in a low-ceilinged area a few steps below street level. Our room was of average size. Furnishings were attractive and functional, with comfortable chairs and good lighting, but not especially stylish. The bathroom was cramped and badly designed; there was no fan, no shaving mirror, and a weird translucent panel in the bathroom door which compromised the privacy of the person inside the bathroom, while flooding the sleeping area with unwanted light. The air conditioning in the first room we were assigned did not work at all. Staff promptly switched us to another room, where the air conditioning worked (although it appeared to leak onto the carpet below) but was quite noisy. (This took care of any problem with noise from adjacent rooms.)
We did not eat in the hotel restaurants; there are numerous good chain and local breakfast options within blocks. (The hotel is also convenient to Metra, the CTA, and Northwestern University.) The food we ate in the hotel at the wedding we attended varied from mediocre to excellent.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I don't understand the negative reviews. We had a very enjoyable stay at the Orrington. Sure the room was a little small and the wedding guests made some noise in the hall. Turn on the fan to create some white noise before hitting the pillow. Our room was clean and well appointed. The location near Northwestern U, shopping, movies and restaurants was ideal. The valet, doorman and front desk clerk were very nice. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I stayed here twice. The first time the dumpster pickup in the back of the hotel made it noisy early morning. I complained and got a room next visit facing the front of the hotel. It was quiet. Good food, nice location and the rooms are good. Bed comfortable. I especially like the fact that they heard my concerns and responded to them.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Pleasant hotel and the help is very accommodating and friendly however, the bathroom is beyond inadequate. The sink is so small you splash yourself if you wash yourself. I'll try the Hilton Garden Inn next time.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We were with a wedding party and had requested numerous times in advance to be put next to our family. After calling and being told we could, and then later that we couldn't because of the room type we picked, when we got there, we were put away from the family AND also in a smaller room than we had originally asked for. With two young kids in tow, this made life a little too cozy. Seemed like there was some degree of turnover as the person we originally talked to was no longer there when we tried to confirm details.

To top it off, the AC was EXTREMELY loud. We had to turn it off eventually at night because it would wake some of the family members up at night.

But it is quite convenient to the beach, the El station, and many retail/restaurant outlets.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We chose the Hotel Orrington due to its downtown location in Evanston. We reserved and stayed in the executive suite because we have small children and wanted a separate room for the children - we have a pack and play and a blow up toddler bed. There were stains throughout the carpet and on the couch. But the kicker - dog poop on the floor underneath the glass coffee table. When I mentioned it to the front desk staff while checking out, the only response was that there hadn't been a dog in our room. Not only does the Hotel Orrington have an issue with housekeeping, their staff need training in the art of hospitality. Because we have small children, a clean hotel room is an absolute must (my 18 month old still puts everything in her mouth). I'm just thankful we only stayed one night. We will never stay at the Orrington again and I will make sure to tell everyone I know about our experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!