“Nice hotel but expected more for the money” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Evanston
Buffalo, New York
“Nice hotel but expected more for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Chose this hotel since within walking distance to Northwestern and also train station - paid a little more than desired for these perks.

It was nice, though a little outdated. Staff were pretty friendly but no one bending over backwards.

As there are only a few options in Evanston, I would recommend this hotel if you're looking to stay right in town and right near the campus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

485 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The good: excellent staff at the front desk, concierge, and bell service. Clean, comfortable and updated rooms. Good restaurant for breakfast. Walk 1 block to Northwestern University. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby.
The not-so-good: the bathroom in our room was a little strange...the light switch was located behind the door. Some groping and stumbling if you are trying not to disturb the rest of your party while they are sleeping. Also, the walls are fairly thin and we were able to hear the people's conversation in the room next to us.
All in all a good stay, however! The breakfast buffet has everything you could ever think of.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed our service, location and the Hilton breakfast buffet. My apologies for the location of the bathroom light switch, some of our hotel bones are not the easiest to navigate around. Thank you for staying with us, we hope to be of service to you in the future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed 4 nights on business in Jan 2013 and had a good stay. It's ideal if you are visiting or otherwise have business in Evanston, Skokie or the north end of Chicago. The exercise room is spacious and very good and this Hilton is in a very walkable neighborhood day or night with a lot of food and shopping options within a 2 block radius. Another big plus: it is walkable to the Metra and CTA train stops. The lobby bar is also nice. The junior sized rooms have oddly small bathroom vanities but that was not a big deal since I was travelling alone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time here and got to experience all that Evanston has to offer...despite it being January! We hope to see you again on your next business trip to the area!
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have made a reservation with Hotel Orrington via Booking.com. My parents decided to join me as well and booked another hotel in the area. I understand I booked the reservation with Orrington under non-refund policy.

I am a very reasonable customer, and thought it's no harm to give a try and see if any party (hotel / booking.com) can lower the penalty to one night, instead of full stay (USD 500) . A customer service at Booking.com answered the phone, and didn't help at all.

I called the hotel staff to check the possibility of cancellation or dates change. First hotel staff was nice and polite but she can't find my reservation in the system.

I then called back to Booking.com to ensure that my reservation is in the system. This time customer service at booking was so rude. She said my direct check with hotel doesn't prove anything, because she had confirmed with another staff working at hotel by throwing some random staff name.

I started not to believe in customer service at booking.com and requested hotel staff's name who confirmed my reservation. When I requested the spelling of the name, which is not a common name, booking.com staff challenge me why I don't know the spelling. OMG, I was so shocked by her response, and she started to yell at me over the phone...

I called in hotel again. Another nice staff answered and was willing to make changes, but once again, she confirmed no one can change the reservation but booking agency...

This is very bad online booking experience. No complaints on hotel. Hope hotel can feedback to Booking.com for future improvement.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I will definitely pass your remarks regarding your experience along to our market manager. It is unfortunately true that when making a reservation with a 3rd-party company like you did, the hotel isn't able to modify or cancel the reservations in any way. I hope that next time you and your family is in Evanston, you book directly with us and avoid the head ache!
Rehovot, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is in a nice area, very close to Northwestern. It's well maintained, my room (a superior) was clean and spacious. The A/C worked well. It was really what one can expect from a Hilton, or any of the other respectable chain hotels. The one downside was the my room was facing the back, and there was some noise from A/C units on the roof of an adjacent building. It wasn't a issue when the window was closed, but opening it, for air, did let it some annoying noise. I'd suggest asking for a room facing another direction, as the area in general is quite at nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! We hope you stay with us again next time business brings you to Evanston!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Located right in the heart of the quaint college town of Evanston.
Rooms are small. Bathroom is even smaller. Room for one person only! Not a lot of room for a couple to spread their cosmetic bag items in there! DId I mention the bathroom is really small?!
Room is modern and very clean. Bed was super comfortable with lots of pillows.
Wasn't in the room much; however, the TV worked fine as did the FREE Wifi in the room (bonus!)
What was tricky was that the safety deposit box ws located in the night table on the bottom shelf; A friend of mine was dow the hall and she and her husband didn't even know there was a safe until I told her. This should be mentioned at the front desk during check-in. I found it awkward to use (if you're older and not flexible, it would be difficult) and kept hitting the numeric pad twice (small numbers, long nails). I ended up having to call security since I tried the code too many times and it wodln't allow me to try any more. The guy had to open it for me!
The fitnesss room was adequate-not huge. Suffcicient machines and weights. Limited floor space for any mat exercise.
Brunch at Globe(attached to the hotel) was delicious! The buffet was excellent and had everything.

Room Tip: I was in 417. Don't get it if you want to hear people coming and going through the main entrance...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review! We actually try to put guests on the front of the hotel since that has a nicer view than the back, which faces an alley. Of course, the downside is that there could be more noise from people on the street! Next time, try a room in the back of the hotel, as you might like the quitness more. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The room was very clean, staff were very helpful and friendly, and the price was average. Even though I would rate the price as being average, I feel I got my money's worth since the accommodations were excellent. The only complaints are the bathroom was a bit on the small side with no ventilation for the shower steam and $22 per night for parking is a bit steep, however, you would definitely pay more than double that if you stayed in Chicago. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, and we are looking forward to having you again!

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!