“Nice and clean, good location...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
East Lansing, Michigan
“Nice and clean, good location...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here for a work event and extended the stay for the weekend to explore Chicago's attractions...hotel was very clean, well-located and staff friendly. Rooms are spacious and beds comfortable, ample valet parking. Like another reviewer commented, the bathrooms are weirdly small and compact, however. Got a great room rate considering this is a somewhat-snooty (yet pretty) Chicago suburb and hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the better...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm glad to hear that you got to relax a little after your work event. Evanston and Chicago are great places to visit and it sounds like you got to take advantage of some of the offerings. I hope you choose us again next time you are in the area for either business or leisure!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter is a student at Northwestern and I find this a wonderfully close and relaxing hotel. I have stayed several times over two years, and have never had a complaint. I have had a regular room and also been upgraded, and have never had a noise problem. I have no complaints about the size of the restrooms like some other reviews, but if you compare it to European bathrooms, they are ALL large!! The breakfast is always well prepared and I think has a nice variety. The proximity to campus is awesome, the staff is helpful and anything I have needed has been responded to promptly. We left clothes there once, and had no problem having them discovered and retrieved. Anytime I go to Orrington in the future, this is where I'm staying!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your great review! We love forming relationships with NU families as they come to visit their children over the years. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Jlowery
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of everything, good restaurants, close to commuter trains, easy street access, and very welcoming on a cold, snowy, wintry night. I was really glad to see the valet parking assistant.

Room Tip: Street room had good view and quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you were able to enjoy Evanston and all it has to offer! Please come see us again.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The room and desk staff were nice. Unfortunately while I was there a necklace went missing from my room. It was in a bag, in a pocket in my suitcase. This is the first time I've ever had this happen, and I'm surprised it was at such a nice hotel. I didn't find the safe, which was in an unusual location in one of the nightstands. Next time I will be more cautious. A filed a report, but no one ever got back in touch with me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad that we got the chance to speak on the phone about next steps regarding your missing necklace. Again, I am very sorry that the loss happened at this hotel and I hope that you choose to stay with us again next time you are in the area.
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I'm a Hilton member and my child attends Northwestern. I selected this hotel for a night when taking her back to school after the holiday break. I was told that they upgraded my room and the actual room was nice sized but that bathroom was super tiny. There was a refridge with a large granite counter top in the room but it amazed me that there were no outlets to be found around the countertop. The bathroom was so small that two people could not fit in at one time so when curing/drying hair with two females it was difficult. The valet parking was nice to have but a bit pricy at $20 per night just for Evanston and not convenient if you wanted to run errands, etc. I think I'm going to try the Hilton Gardens next visit as I just wasn't impressed with this property for the money spent. The location is what you pay for I guess.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a large bathroom if they have them!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that you found the bathrooms to be too small; unfortunately, this is not an easy fix for us at the hotel and so we try our best to make every other aspect of your stay the best we possibly can. One suggestion, if bathroom size is an issue, is to look at our studio suites. The bathrooms in these rooms are significantly larger than our standard rooms. We do hope you'll consider staying with us again next time you are in the area!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I just can't find a way to have a good experience at the Orrington and welcome help from other guests and manager. I am a NW parent and have stayed at the Orrington on 9 separate occasions in past year. I am a silver Hilton honors member. I always choose a superior room rate. I am wondering how it is that other honors members simply walk up to desk and are offered free upgrades . I must be on the downgrade list. I have taken to requesting rooms on high floors with larger bathrooms yet every time I get a room over the front door with a teeny bathroom not large enough for two. Most bothersome is the noise. Last night I never slept. Why do cars honk when they drive up. Why is music piping outdoors so loud it can be heard in rooms above. Why is it so loud here. I just cannot get a restful sleep in this hotel. I feel like a truck hit me thus morning. I tried calling concierge to turn down music and no answer. I have called front desk about the noise and nothing is done. The convenient location brings me back. The noise drives me crazy. Has anyone else tried the homestead? Is this a better choice? Help

• Stayed January 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I wanted to take this opportunity to apologize in regards to the noise you encountered during your stay. I totally regret that you did not get a restful sleep and that the noise outside your room was disruptive to you. I assure you that our guests comfort is our main concern and I have discussed your concerns with our security team to make sure this does not happen again.

Again, I do apologize for any inconveniences you may have had and I hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.
Champaign, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We arrived at the Hilton Orrington during the early afternoon of July 5th, 2012. We were promptly greeted by a doorman, who helped us unload our car and welcomed us inside. Upon check-in, we were went through the usual procedure of getting room keys and hotel information. We also asked a woman at the front desk about popular local restaurants. Not only was she very knowledgeable about the surrounding area, she also gave us several tips about how to use the "L" train, which is only two blocks from the hotel. The proximity of the "L" makes this hotel a wonderful place to stay if you plan on traveling downtown!

When we arrived at our floor, the room was at the perfect temperature (It was 85 degrees outside), and we had plenty of room to stow all of our belongings. Due to the older building type, the closet did not have a door, but instead, a felt curtain that covered the doorway. The bathrooms are also indeed "European" in that they are quite small, however, we found this to be charming. The room also includes a mini-bar, which is stocked with goodies, but unless you are willing to pay 4-5 dollars for a package of Oreos, you might not want to take a bite!
Overall, this hotel was a wonderful experience and our family will definitely return in the near future. The staff was wonderful and attentive to all of our needs, the facility was clean, and by the way, the rooms have some of the most comfortable beds I have ever found in a hotel. Wonderful accommodations in the heart of historic Evanston, Illinois!

Room Tip: -Upper floors have less traffic noise -Superior rooms are much more spacious than the Petites.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us this summer and I cannot wait to welcome you back in the future!

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!