“Pretty good Hotel - Rating probably would change if I paid the going rate of 180” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Orrington/Evanston

2X HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
minooka, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

Booked our stay on priceline for 65 dollars (82 with tax). Overall very impressed granted the rating would definitely change if I paid the going rate of 180 dollars but for 65 dollars.. Everything else is just like has been stated by numerous other reviews. Some instances of rude people while other instances of exceptionally polite people and I know that staying at a 4 star hotel u should none of the rudeness for the money u are paying. The bathroom is small but very pretty. Wife stated she would expect a bigger room for a 4 star hotel but it was adequate for us. 20 dollars a night for valet very reasonable considering it was snowing outside and it was awesome having the car waiting for us and our bags loaded in it for us.

My overall impression is if you pay under 100 dollars you should be happy if you pay over 100 you might be a little dissappointed.

• Liked — 4 star treatment for 2 star price
  • Disliked — room was a little small
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Zeeland, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

We booked through Hotwire and got a great deal. We had an excellent stay. Front desk staff was very polite, friendly, and accommodating. We had to request a late check out when we were stuck on the El coming back from downtown, and the staff was able to help us and did not charge extra.

Room was clean, bed was comfortable, view of area was nice. Bathroom was a little small, but was clean and functional. Had an overall wonderful stay.

• Liked — Location, comfortable room
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
dayton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

I was booked at the Hotel Orrington by name-your-own-price priceline (for a very discounted rate) and was devastated when I read the reviews on this site, because I wanted a "4-star experience". Thankfully I encountered nothing that denied us that. The staff was extremely accommodating and the room, linens, etc in perfect condition. We had a room with 2 queen beds that wasn't the largest we've had but was by no means cramped. I've stayed in much smaller in downtown Chicago. While there was no dresser as mentioned in another review, there were enough drawers between armoire, tv armoire and night stand to accommodate items for myself, my husband and our two small children. They also deserve credit for not giving us the "bargain basement" room, which seems to happen often with other hotels when I book through priceline. (I can't count the number of times my priceline room has been right above the restaurant, or boasts the view of a brick wall of the adjacent building) I was also leery to stay so far out of town, as Chicago was our destination. But the hotel in quaint downtown Evanston is surrounded by some wonderful little cafes and shops and is only 2 blocks from purple line train (and then an hour train ride to downtown), or 30 or so minutes by car. All in all I'd happily stay again and would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Quality accomodations for the money
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

I recently stayed at the Orrington as an alternative to staying in downtown Chicago at outrageous rates. I found an Expedia rate at $100 for "Deluxe King" room, far lower than the $170 that I found on the hotel's own site. As it turned out, the room was very small, on a "stub" wing off the back of the hotel (clearly, from the floor plan, others are considerably larger). However, the room was well-decorated in what appears to be their "post-renovation" style and very comfortable for one.
The staff could have not have be nicer.
There are two restaurants, the Globe which is a glorified coffee shop, but does serve an excellent, low-key dinner, and the Blu Sushi Bar, which may not be hotel-owned (cannot put this on hotel tab), but does serve an excellent assortment of impeccably fresh fish and other Japanese fare.
Regarding public transportation to downtown Chicago (the Loop) - the Purple Line (Howard - Linden) is nearby (2.5 blocks to the Davis station). This does operate Express to Belmont during rush hours, and only to Howard where one needs to change to the Red Line during off-peak hours. This can talk up to an hour with local stops. Also realize that some of the neighborhoods that the Red Line travels through are less than stellar - to avoid the riff-raff, travel in the first car (where the driver is) to avoid being hassled.

Bottom line - I'd definitely stay here again and recommend to others - but I would specifically check to see just what size room you are getting.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

Other reviews of this hotel had us prepared for a bad experience; however, our stay at the Hotel Orrington was anything but. We were greeted by a courteous doorman and valet attendant . Check-in was quick and efficient. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was up-to-date and included free high-speed internet. The bathroom was small but well organized for the space. The king bed was very comfortable. Other than being a bit pricey for the location, we would definitely recommend the Hotel Orrington for anyone staying the Evanston area.

Stayed October 2007
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

The reviews on Hotwire were not that good but the price was right so I was a bit concerned but the hotel was just great. I had a beautiful large corner room with a HUGE walk-in closet - almost a second room. The furnishings were new and the room was clean. The staff went out of their way to be cordial and greeted me each time I returned with great friendliness. Valet parking was an extra $20 a day but you could go in and out all day at no extra charge; the car was always in front after I called down for it and if I was just stopping by the hotel for a few minutes they would hold the car in front. The valets and door personnel were always welcoming and most agreeable. I had room service just once and the food was delicious and served promptly. The bath was small but this is an old hotel and it was more than sufficient. It was a pleasure to stay there and I will do so again next year.

Stayed September 2007
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

This hotel is over priced and over rated. It seemed shabby and not that clean. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel this price. It was a convenient location for us. We ate at the restaurant where the food was average. However, the wait staff went out of their way when we mentioned how chilly we were eating outside. First they brought us some huge red hotel blankets and later allowed us to move inside to another table. I will not be staying here again though.

• Disliked — the bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!