“Total rip off....tiny portions” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Quince is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 237 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Btwn. Church and Davis
Transit: Davis St. El
Description: Welcome to Quince at the Homestead! Where the bold, globally-influenced cuisine is inspired by the best of each season, yet the warm welcome and personalized service always remains the same. Quince serves contemporary American cuisine, in a lively and comfortable setting near downtown Evanston. Quince has an award-winning wine program, as well as a seasonal rooftop garden, ensuring a delicious and special experience for all.
Evanston, Illinois
“Total rip off....tiny portions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stay away from this pretentious, overpriced restaurant with insultingly tiny portions....I ordered the lamb and received 3 tiny slivers.....I have never written a restaurant review before but feel compelled to protect others from true rip off artists.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Gourmet dining at budget prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

We were looking for a relaxed dinner in a conversation-friendly restaurant with good food. Quince exceeded our expectations!

I had the bone marrow starter, two had cauliflower soup, one salad. All of us were delighted! Portions were quite adequate, and comparable to any fine dining restaurant in our experience...and we have lots of experience.

I had the duck entree, others had shrimp and lamb. My duck was phenomenal, one of the best duck breasts I have eaten, and duck is a favorite of mine. I don't always like lentils but these were outstanding and left me hunting each stray piece down. By the end of the meal i had cleaned my plate so well it was doubtful the dishwasher had much work left. My companions were equally pleased with their items.

We ended with a cheese course, Nancy's Camembert was as outstanding as always, the others did not equal that quality in my mind. Our waiter was very familiar with the cheeses and helpful in guiding us.

Service was fine but not outstanding. Our waiter was knowledgeable and pleasant, but too often absent. Our wine glasses took a while to be refilled for instance. As others have commented, there seemed to be one server for the room.

One quibble, given the type of meal and ambiance I was surprised that there was no amuse. It would seem to fit the type of experience they are trying to create.

Finally, the prices were more than reasonable, including an affordable wine list. Sunday evenings include a $35 prix fixe menu. Our waiter was very good about pointing out that two of our party had actually ordered prix fixe menu items and converting their orders to the prix fixe value.

We'll be back.

We ended with cheese

Doha, Qatar
“Fabulous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

The meals I had were exceptional. Good service (unlike the serivice I experienced at the hotel). Each dish was well prepared, flavorful and attractive It is clear there are skilled chefs and assistants at Quince. I highly recommend this restaurant. If you are in Evanston, eat dinner here.

Visited June 2011
Lake Forest, Illinois
“Quince - Worth a Special Trip to Evanston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Quince continues the tradition of very good food (following Trio and Cafe Provencal, also once in this location) in a lovely, comfortable setting. This is a perfect restaurant for a fall or winter meal with friends - the food is very good, well prepared and interesting; the staff is friendly and helpful, not stuffy; the decor is warm and soothing. Though it wasn't quiet, conversation was easy...a great place to go with friends. I would definitely make a special trip to Evanston to go to Quince again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“MARVELOUS BUT MINISCULE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Quince is a lovely, elegant restaurant that is reasonably quiet, offers delicious food beautifully presented from a limited menu, and can boast superb service. The portions, however, in most instances were miniscule. I am a woman who generally prefers smaller portions but this was ridiculous - certainly not enough food for a man with even an average appetite. The soup and small salad were of reasonable size, but nothing else. And the place is quite pricey. To go home hungry after spending $300 for dinner for four was ludicrous. Too bad - we won't return.

• Visited November 2011