“AVOID, unless you like stodgy old hotels with uncomfy beds.” 2 of 5 stars

The Homestead
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1625 Hinman Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
abower83
“AVOID, unless you like stodgy old hotels with uncomfy beds.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

the only good thing i can say about this hotel: funny old guys making off color comments about my body bag sized luggage in the miniture ancient elevator. okay, one more thing: it's pretty close to Northwestern U, so if you like that and can deal with the total lack of space, comfort and water pressure, this is your place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

The housekeeping was sloppy. They forgot something everyday, such as replacing towels and bathroom amenities, emptying trush boxes. But they never appologized for these, instead they handled these with rude attitudes and terrible facial expressions.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Homestead_Hotel, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your feedback, as we are always striving for excellence and ways to improve. Like many hotels, we have a conservation note inside of each of our restrooms, to avoid unnecessary waste of products and water. We provide these to ensure that guests have an option to receive fresh towels and bathroom amenities daily if they should choose.
Please accept our delayed apologies for any dissatisfaction during your visit in 2009. We take great pride in our customer service, and wonderful staff.
Maryland, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

I spent 2 nights at the Homestead while on a business trip to Northwestern U. The location for NWU is very good, a convenient walk to the campus, to nearby stores and restaurants, etc. (one block from Whole Foods and Peets Coffee). The quiet tree-lined street and the facade is charming. But beyond that this place felt like it had been slowly falling into decay since the 1950s. The rooms are certainly cleaned, but the place is overall rather shabby. The bed is comfortable enough. My room (5th floor) was sparse, and the bathroom reminded me of my grandma's house. The in room fridge was appreciated. There is a large construction project next door (south side of building), and loud work started shortly after 6am in the morning. The breakfast was quite a disappointment - cereals, bad bagels, and uninspiring coffee. Pop around the corner to one of the coffee shops or to Whole Foods instead. Free wifi in the rooms is appreciated. Overall, functional and conveniently located, but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay here. We are always looking for ways to improve, and know that reviews like yours are an integral part of that process.
We have recently begun the first steps of our guest suite renovations, something that may be of interest to you.

Also, as you mentioned, we do offer complimentary wi-fi in all of our guestrooms, breakfast in the library, as well as free garage parking to all of our guests...all things our local competition does not.

We do take great pride in our cleanliness and charm, and we certainly appreciate you mentioning it!

Please try us again.
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

I'm sitting in our suite at the Homestead, enjoying the spacious apartment with a private bedroom, a living room with fireplace, a dining room and a new kitchen with an exceptionally clean refrigerator and a very cool bathroom -- all white tile with black tile accents. We needed space for two adults and two teenagers to spread out, and I couldn't find this arrangement in downtown Chicago hotels. But the Homestead was the perfect fit. They slid two nice single beds into our living room, and we've got plenty of space leftover.

We have walked to the Metra station (Davis Street) and for $3 per ticket we were downtown in 15 minutes. From the Homestead we walked to restaurants (Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop, Giordano's Pizza, LePeep breakfast cafe, and Nepalese, Thai and Italian restaurants), shoe stores, clothing stores, and mainstream chains like Barnes and Noble and Whole Foods. Everything is close, easy, and convenient and the streets in this part of Evanston are lined with ivy-covered homes, apartment houses, and churches.

So we avoided paying horrible hotel room rates in downtown Chicago, we reached downtown in 15 minutes for $3 on the train, we parked in a parking garage a block away for free, and we didn't have to spend a fortune on meals. I think we got an excellent value in the hotel room, a wonderful location, and speedy access to and from downtown.

If we had stayed downtown, we would have paid twice as much for a small room, paid $50 per day to park, eaten in expensive and crowded restaurants, and we would not have had such a wonderful front porch on which to relax.

Front desk: Sort of pleasant but not friendly and not eager to help. Example: "Do you have any Metra train timetables?" "No." The right response would have been, "I'm sorry, we're out." "How far is the train station and where is it?" "Four blocks." The right response would have been," You go out the front door and turn left and when you reach Davis Street go right. It's only 4 blocks, and then you'll see signs for CTA and Metra. Take the Metra ramp." If the desk clerks had offered any of that, I would have rated the front desk higher.

Furniture: classic traditional. Interior: Classic 1920's gorgeous mouldings. Bathroom: Very clean, very pretty white and black ceramic tile. Bed: 4 poster. Big closets, squeaky clean and new kitchen. Surroundings: Very quiet. Food: Quince restaurant off the lobby is featured in Zagat's Chicago restaurant guide book. Breakfast is spare -- a few bagels and cereals, coffee and juices in a very crowded, very tiny room that's very reminiscent of tiny, crowded shared breakfast rooms in low-rent London and Paris inns. Better to take your breakfast outside to the front porch.

Good to know: If you're very overweight, you may not fit into the hotel's tiny elevator car. It can hold 4 small people, and it's a tight fit at that.

• Liked — Huge,spacious suite at a fraction of the price of downtown
  • Disliked — Unfriendly front desk staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

If you are considering a stay in Evanston Illinois for a visit to the community or even Chicago, don't pass up an opportunity to stay at The Homestead located on Hinman in Evanston. The staff and owners are exceptionally caring and the rooms provide more than comfort. A stay at The Homestead is relaxing, healing and cozy. I must respond to a review on this site about the hotel and the difficulties a guest experienced with a barking dog. I am the owner of the dog who caused the upset and it should not be blamed on The Homestead. I was a long-term guest of six months and due to the move, my dog began experiencing separation anxiety, with the barking starting after I would depart for work or an errand. I don't think I ever heard another dog bark at the Homestead during my stay. It was only my dog acting up and it is not something any guest will experience during the stay. Nor should the Homestead suffer under a negative review because of my stay with Gee Whillikers (the culprit.)

So know the barking dog is no longer at the Homestead. As a long term guest I must tell you why you should stay at the Homestead now that we are not there.

It is beautiful. The lobby is the most welcoming and warm I've ever experienced in many years of travel. The Homestead is unique in that it is not a chain hotel of cold and contemporary rooms. Swing open one of the large and wonderful windows and you will hear chirping birds from the abundance of surrounding trees. You will hear wind rustle windchimes from neighboring yards. You won't hear my dog.

The staff--from those who work the front desk to those who perform room service and attentive, kind and helpful. The restaurant located within The Homestead, called Quince, is not to be missed.

What did I love most about The Homestead? It is cozy, comfortable, healing, relaxing. Guests staying at the Homestead come from around the globe as well as down the street. You won't hear Muzak in the elevators, a fireplace graces a sitting room and there's a library chocked with books by authors who have stayed and written while living at the hotel. Wonderful antique bird prints grace many of the walls and fresh flowers always adorn the lobby.

The Homestead is locally owned. David Reynolds and his wife live in Evanston and are meticulous in their care for the inn. This is a place where once you stay you will not want to leave and it has become a permanent home for several residents.

And yes, it takes pets. Author Richard Ford often stayed at The Homestead with is spaniel. Matter of fact, Ford once said he'd like to retire at The Homestead. That should tell you plenty. Ford's dog, of course, wasn't a barker. Mine was and I am at fault for any disruptions. I can promise you will have a peaceful and lovely stay at this wonderful hotel. So sorry for those we disturbed. Lori and Gee Whillikers. Thank you to The Homestead for an incredibly graceful stay.

• Liked — Comfortable, kind, lovely and excellent restaurant
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

We were extremely disappointed in our stay at the Homestead. We love staying in B&B's and thought, from the online pictures, this would be perfect. In order to get at least a double bed you had to choose a suite. We did not need a kitchen or dining room for our short stay but our only other options were twin beds.

We were extremely disappointed in our room, 404. The hotel/B&B was very shabby and had not been updated in a very, very long time.

On Sunday morning we were awakend at 7 AM by a relentlessly barking dog. Unfortunately, for us, the dog was in a room on our floor. The dog barked, non stop for over an hour. We had no idea this hotel allowed animals. In the hotel brochures there was absolutely NO mention they allowed pets. We called the front desk repeatedly for one hour and 15 minutes (to 8:15 AM) but there was never any answer. After complaining to the front desk person much later that morning, she simply said "sorry about that".

I contacted the reservations person via email after our stay to complain about the barking dog. He said they did have a sentence on their online site about allowing pets. I re-checked the site and did see it. I am not surprised I missed it the first time.

I told him I probably would not have booked his hotel had I known they allowed pets but at the very least they could assign rooms to guests without pets on another floor to avoid exactly what happend to us. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — accommodations
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

I grew up in Evanston and after more than 15 years away have not quite reconciled myself to the fact that I no longer live there. I visit frequently with my two young children, which means I need a lot of space, a full kitchen, and a convenient location. The Homestead provides all of these, along with the feel of a typical 1920's Evanston apartment.

The Homestead is walking distance to downtown Evanston and to at least one playground. The rooms are quiet - I never hear other guests or very much outside noise. Rates are very reasonable, especially considering that I usually book a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is delightful. The furnishings are modest in feel but clean, comfortable, pretty, and perfectly adequate. I feel as if I'm back in my own apartment in Evanston, except with impeccable daily maid service.

The only drawback for me is parking. There is a large drop-off area in front (useful for checking in with luggage), but for leaving the car, we must either park in a garage about a block away (for free) or find on-street parking. I get pretty lucky on-street, though, and walking a block isn't exactly a huge hardship.

In general, The Homestead has an old-world, genteel feel, and is the perfect choice for me and probably for anyone else who wants to live apartment-style, but not for those who want brand-new everything and hot-and-cold running butlers.

• Liked — Very large rooms and closets - lots of space, convenient location, and FULL KITCHEN.
  • Disliked — Going home
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Homestead? Share your experiences!