“Great food for the price!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 237 Restaurants in Evanston
Evanston, Illinois
“Great food for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am a college student, so finding a place with delicious food for a good price is a must! This restaurant is one of my favorites and I come here all the time. Maybe too often if you ask my waistline. I highly recommend the bubble teas, especially with the "popping boba"! I always order the sesame chicken and it is always reasonably good. This place is always hoppin' but the waitstaff is very attentive. The menu is veryyyy large and full of variety. It's amazing how fast your food comes sometimes, too. Usually I get mine in less than 5 minutes! If you don't feel like waiting you can order to-go and get your food in 5-10 minutes as well.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
“gnarly menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

when you walk in this gem, you have to remind yourself that you are in a small mid-west city, not asia. of course the diverse clientele and multi-clutural menu is easily explained by the fact that this is practically a Northwestern student outpost and many asians call Chicago (and Evanston) their home. Wow. Feel like vietnamese? order a fresh, basil accented entree, or choose some authentic malaysian dish. the choices are overwhelming. the fresh fruit asian freezes and blended tea drinks with "boba" are the best in the area. join the fun.

Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Variety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Love coming here for everyone to have something different! This trip we ordered the Pho, spring rolls, chicken and green beans, & yummy noodles dish. Their fresh fruit smoothies are great, ESP the mango! Read that the tapioca balls which you can have put into the smoothies are not too healthy for you because of how they are made so now avoid those.

Visited June 2013
Baltimore
“Classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Not a bad pit stop for having assorted Asian cuisine and relaxing with refreshing bubble tea.

The bubble tea here never disappoints. Sizes are significant, and I'd like to think they use real fruit. My friends and I usually frequent Joy Yee's more for the drinks than the food. But the food isn't bad either. I've had quite a number of dishes here before, but don't remember all their names. The chow funs and chow udon noodles are generally pretty good. There's just way too many items on their menu, so I'd suggest asking your server for recommendations.

Joy Yee's is always a lively place, and it's affordable and tasty.

Visited January 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Wonderful bubble tea, grumpy staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

When I told my friends I was visiting Northwestern, they all told me I had to try Joy Yee's. While I wasn't able to make it there for a full meal (boo!), I did stop in and grab a bubble tea, which did not disappoint. Their food menu is huge and comprises pretty much every type of Asian cuisine you can think of, and their drink menu is no different. They have all the typical milk teas and freezes with pearls, jelly, etc.

I ordered the strawberry milk tea with pearls, which is my usual go-to when trying out a new tea place. The price was reasonable, about $4, and the portion was gigantic. This was the absolute biggest cup of bubble tea I've ever gotten, practically twice the size of some other places I've been. The tea had a great fresh strawberry flavor to it, and I'd like to think they used real fruit. The pearls were the perfect consistency: not too squishy or too hard - just right!

A major thumbs down for the service at the counter, because otherwise their bubble tea would be worthy of a 4 star rating. The girl was very rude and impatient while I was trying to decide what to order, and didn't even bother to let me know when my tea was ready, she just slammed it on the counter. Shallow note: the restaurant, while clean and bright, has a very uncomfortable, almost cafeteria-like look to it. The furniture reminds me of Ikea chairs and tables, so you know it's definitely not a place to linger.

Come for the tasty bubble tea, but don't expect too much of the service or the restaurant!

• Visited February 2013