“Great food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Evanston, Illinois
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I always walked past and finally decided to give it a try and I was quite pleased. The fried catfish I must say was quite good. The sides I tried (red beans and rice and greens) were pretty good. They also do carry out so when I am pressed for time, I call ahead and order. The prices are pretty reasonable as well. A great "go to" spot in Evanston. It is very small so at peak times, you may have a wait and there are a few tables outside that can be used when the weather is good. Overall, great place for a great meal.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbia, SC
“Shocking Find - Excellent Fried Catfist!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

As someone who grew on plenty fried catfish in Muscle Shoals, Alabama along the Tennessee river, I am too impressed with Dixie Kitchens scrumptious result.
The décor took me home to the gulf coast area.
Based on comments from regulars, this is a restaurant you can go home to again and again.
Thanks Dixie Kitchen for your tasty food!

WmLeroyKennedy

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food and ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My kids and I have been here twice already, and have had excellent meals both times. While you're in the restaurant the decor is so realistic it really does feel like you're on the Gulf coast. The prices are reasonable too. We are definitely planning on eating here again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newport News, Virginia
“Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I dont know why I dont come here more often since the atmosphere is great and the food is excellent. I really think that this is one of the "must go" restaurants in Evanston. Try the Jumbalaya or the Gumbo. You cant go wrong.

Visited July 2014
“Great Food / Hit or Miss Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I visited Dixie Kitchen again last night. As usual the food was very good. I had crayfish etouffe and a margarita. My friend had shrimp and grits. The food was very good (the margarita only so-so). But the service was a "down" night. A tad slow and not very helpful. My friend asked for an opinion between the etouffe and the grits. Our waited said he'd choose the grits but did not elaborate or offer any help or ask any questions. He seemed bored and impatient to be elsewhere.

I like the place and I will go back, just don't always expect sterling service (to be clear: some times I get service that is quite good and helpful).

• Visited July 2014