“Good Southern Comfort Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
chicago, Illinois
“Good Southern Comfort Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I normally go for breakfast. Good comfort food for a reasonable price. There is usually a 10 to 20 minutes wait every time we go, but well worth it.

Visited July 2013

85% Recommend
Tiburon, California
“Tasty Breakfast, Interesting Decor, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My breakfast was basic, eggs, sausage, toast, grits and very well prepared. The grits were among the best I've had - fluffy and flavorful. Service was quick, courteous, accompanied by smiles and good cheer. Coffee good and refilled often. Inexpensive.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Libertyville, Illinois
“Great decor but bland food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you really like Cajun food, then you'll know that Dixie Kitchen dummies-down the seasonings for the average American palate. While my blackened catfish was tasty and tender, the beans and rice were bland, and the sweet potatoes were too sugary. The corn bread-shaped pancakes were quite witty, but the peach cobbler was too doughy and had way too much nutmeg.
One thing that was distressing was that, upon walking in, there was a scent of natural gas. I mentioned something to the manager, who seemed nonplussed. I left to go to a bookstore while waiting for my other friends to arrive, entered the restaurant again, and the scent was unmistakable. I recommended to the manager that he exit and come back in, but he wouldn't.
Keep working on it, Dixie Kitchen, because you have a great concept and location. Need to work on the customer focus, too.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
“Three Time the Let-Downer...what a pity! Great Food Spoiled by Poor Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have made DK&BS a must-visit place when in Chicago. We fell in love with the amazing gumbo, the out-of-this-world southern style fried chicken, and their catfish. But the kids and my favorite thing about this cozy dive is their Johny-cakes. We can't have enough of them as appetizers. This time around, our stay in Chicago extended a month. So every week we would drive to Evanston to get a bit more finger-licking-good chicken. The first two times the experience was what we have come to expect for over three previous years: great friendly service, great food, and reasonable prices. Our kids referred to it as the "awesome place in Evanston".

Unfortunately, that stopped on our third weekly visit. I took my four boys to eat a late lunch. Given that I had learned how much the boys would eat, I told the waiter (Rick) that the two younger kids would split the generous fried chicken service. He didn't not like the fact that my health-conscious kids elected to forgo Coke for water. But what apparently got this killer-of-a-good-reputation individual was when we asked for more Johnny Cakes. He made his sigh and eye-rolling very obvious, withdrew to the kitchen and came back throwing down the basket of cakes on the center of the table. I thanked him for the cakes - why ruin my lunch with my kids on vacation? - and proceeded to explain to my wide-eye boys that sometimes people get on a bad mood even when you are a paying customer.

Today, Dixie's Kitchen is known as "the place with the mean servers" by my kids. No longer as the "awesome place with great chicken in Evanston". What a pity.

As a consolation for the owners, we ended the lunch by buying one of your T-shirts. As a tribute to past and better experiences at your place. We will be back next year. Perhaps it will be different.

For the reader, this was one bad service over a period of three years. The place is a blast, great food, and up-until-then great warm friendly staff.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Emmaus
“Good Southern and Cajun food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a little bit of Louisiana in Evanston. Our favorites are the shrimp and grits, the gumbo, and the wonderful bread pudding dessert. The side dishes such as plantains and collard greens are also very good. The Jambalaya was just OK, with very little spices in it.

• Visited April 2013