“Decent, but somewhat disappointed and grossed out” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 210 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: For 25 years Hecky's Barbecue in Evanston, IL has been serving up some of the best BBQ in the nation. Order some of our tasty BBQ ranging from Pulled pork to Baby Back Ribs to Sweet Potato pie and of course Hecky's famous Barbecue Sauce from a family Creole recipe.
Plymouth, MN
“Decent, but somewhat disappointed and grossed out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My wife and I were excited to return to Hecky's, as we used to frequent the place when we lived in Evanston five years ago. We thought our pulled pork barbeque sandwiches were good, but perhaps not as tasty as we remembered them being. I was also surprised by how much two sandwiches, one fry, and two pops cost for our lunch. Finally, I was almost unable to eat the food after I witnessed the cook wipe his nose with his bare hands in the kitchen and also lick his fingers at one point. It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever witnessed in a restaurant. Yuck!

Visited December 2011

Chicago, Illinois
“Ok, nothing to get too excited about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

The ribs are above average. The rest of the menus offerings are below average. Poor servings, the fries with the rib dinner are awful (soggy) and they give you a slice of Wonder Bread with it (why?)
Sauce is 'interesting' kinda like they through a carton of Kools in the grill.
Other than the ribs I would avoid unless you enjoy low class overrated operations.

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Burbank, Illinois
“OUTSTANDING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

As always super food and service. I will certainly be back, best barbeque in town.

Visited December 2011
Hecky P, Owner at Hecky's Barbecue, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Thank you so much for your great words. I really appreciate your business as well as your feedback. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Best, Hecky Powell, Owner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It's been a long time.....but worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I remember Hecky's from my undergrad years at Northwestern, but after moving to the east coast, I just don't get back there very much. A close friend in DC regularly orders the bar-b-que sauce for her ribs, so I knew it would be good. The first night I was in town (for homecoming), we stopped by on the way in from O'Hare. Just as I remembered it.....strictly a carryout, but I think the number of menu items have increased over the years. The staff was extremely friendly. I had the rib tips; my friend had the HUGE turkey leg. We dug into it all when we got settled in. Yum...yum! Yup, Meat was nice and tender; sauce was GREAT. Hecky's is STILL good.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hecky P, Owner at Hecky's Barbecue, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you so much for the kind words Joyce. We greatly appreciate your business as well as the feedback. We will be posting your comments for our staff to view. Thank you again and we hope to see you next time you are in the area. Best, Hecky Powell (Owner)
chicago/milwaukee
“PULLED PORK - mmm.. good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Atmosphere is Bare Bones -- which seems appropriate to me for a Ribs Joint. I have never had a problem pulling up right outside the door and running in for my sandwich and slaw. Quick service - great food. And I enjoy doing business with Hecky Powell who does so much for the community, besides dish out great food.

• Visited August 2011