“one of the best sandwiches we had” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 235 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese, Indian, Sandwiches
Chicago, Illinois
“one of the best sandwiches we had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We were in Evanston visiting NU campus for my son and was passing by and stop at this small restaurant and had the paneer fig the best sandwich that i have ever had the staff was friendly and will highly recommend this restaurant

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Unique twist on sandwiches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

After reading all the great reviews on Yelp, I stopped in for a sandwich in the late afternoon after a hectic day of interviewing at Northwestern. I was intrigued by the promise of unique flavors and Banh mi sandwiches, and Soulwich definitely delivered.

The store was empty except for me, and the employee was very helpful and polite. I was having trouble choosing between the Paneer fig ($7.95) and the Indonesian ginger BBQ sandwiches ($7.89) and she advised the latter. It was a great choice! The Indonesian ginger BBQ sauce is a blend of pear juice, sesame seed, oil, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. The flavors were unique and none overpowered the others - it was a very refreshing combination and I enjoyed it. The bread was thick and crispy and a little heavier than typical Banh mi bread, more like a typical sub roll. Despite the fact my visit was during the dead of winter, the veggies (cilantro, pickled carrots, and onion) were fresh, crisp, and plentiful, and complemented the sandwich nicely. Impressive!
My major complaint was the quality of the chicken was very poor: lots of chewy, fatty dark meat and just plain iffy pieces of chicken. I'm no vegetarian, but the chicken was so sketchy that if I came back, I would skip the meat and go for a veggie protein instead - yeah, it was that bad. For my side, I chose the Asian slaw. It was very light, both in flavor and taste, and had no mayo. As a lemonade fan, the pomegranate and herb lemonade intrigued me so much I had to order it, but it sadly fell flat. It was pretty tasteless and bland, like maroon colored water with a fleeting smidge of flavoring - not worth it.

The store was very clean and modern, with a lot of chrome and big windows. There's plenty of tables for eating it, but it could get crowded at peak times. I liked the fact that my meal came in a wicker basket, and my side in a little Chinese take-out-style box - kind of cute. The sandwich was a good size (I saved half for later, it was that big) and the price was reasonable for what you received.

Tip: if you use the DTEvanston app, you can redeem it for a free pomegranate and herb lemonade. Enjoy!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bradfordwoods, PA
“Nice change from same old stuff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a very casual take out-eat in sandwich/salad place that serves wraps, sandwiches and salads with a thai/burmese twist. Plenty of veggie and also meat options. My sandwich wrap was very tasty with big handfuls of fresh cilantro and shredded carrots, a little pork and eggplant. It was delicious. I want to give this restaurant 3 1/2 stars because it's above average but not really super-special. One of us had a salad that was rather paltry for the price. But everything was very fresh and the service we received was friendly and welcoming. Try it for a change of pace.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
West Lafayette, Indiana
“great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I ordered a Sesame Chili Tuna sandwich. It was really so delicious and fulfilling. The Burmese chips are yummy. The place itself is small but the service is fast and very good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Great service, Not your avg sandwich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

By the time we stepped into the establishment and until we got our food and left, the attendant was pleasant and very helpful. She asked if we had ever been to Soulwich and made helpful suggestions on sandwich types.
Try the housemade chips. They are awesome. I think I got it with the spicier seasoning on the chips.. not sure what it was exactly. Anyways, it was delicious.
The sandwiches were good too, but the bread got soggy too fast and was falling apart by the time we got halfway done. Make sure you have a fork handy. Other than that, the flavors were refreshing. The julienne carrots, cucumber and cilantro definitely bring a delightfully crisp element to your Soulwich sandwich experience.

• Visited February 2013