“Looks better in the pics” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
monmouth
“Looks better in the pics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My first real "flag" would have been my attempting to make a reservation. For two days I called with no one answering the phone and no answering service. I finally got hold of someone and we did still stay at the hotel. The location was perfect for us. Great neighborhoods to stroll or drive thru, close to the lake to go for a walk, and close to shops and dining. We parked easily enough on the street so that we did not have to pay the $10 fee the hotel charges. I agree with other reviews in that the back of the hotel where the parking lot is does look neglected. Even though this hotel boasts recent renovations, there is still quite a lot that could be done. Our room was roomy enough and I personally found the decor to be nice (grey walls with black and white accents). Our bedding was nice with a variety of pillows to choose from. The windows are most likely originals with no screens and poor weatherization, but that was not an issue for us at the time. I found the place to be sort of dusty with kinda of ghostly feel? Breakfast was supposed to start at 7 am but did not have the food out until 7:30 which gave us a late start in our busy day. The food that was out included coffee, juices, hard boiled eggs, a nice variety of pastries (not store bought), fruit and yogurt. Also, toast, English muffins and individual packaged hot cereals. Wish it would have been on time so we could have enjoyed it. The front desk staff was very pleasant, although there was only one person at the desk and that led to waiting. I did enjoy the antique lifts which hold about 4 people with little or no luggage. We noticed a nice mix of European travelers/businessmen in the hotel. I did not see any families or children. For the price (about $125) I though it the value was OK. Different for sure, with the character of the building.
I would most likely stay here again hoping that upgrades are still being made and that is mostly based on my fondness of the neighborhood.

Room Tip: ask for a king or a room that can accommodate 3 people for larger rooms.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

"Wretched" might be closer to the mark. We called the property when we reached Evanston. We wanted to know when we could check in. No one answered the phone. We arrived at approximately 2:00 p.m. My wife recalls a sign in the lobby that said check-in time was 2:00 p.m. So far, so good. The desk clerk wasn't sure when the room would be ready. She promised 15 minutes, which came and went. We joined the other people milling around the lobby, waiting for rooms. No information forthcoming. (As we waited, we checked out the room. Below ground level. Dark. Very dark). Lobby remained disorganized. Desk clerk exchanges harsh words with housekeeper. Enough was enough. We cancelled, and the new desk clerk (officious) told us they still expected payment. I don't think so. Poor serve right out of the box. Inaccurate information. Confusion and some hostility between staffers. Typing this from the Hilton Garden Inn, which happily booked us and offers none of the grief.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Margaritainn, Owner at Margarita European Inn, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank-you very much for giving the Margarita European Inn a try. We take our guest service's very seriously, and there is never an excuse for not offering the finest in warm, inviting hospitality. Unfortunately in your case, we let you down. For that, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Safe Travels,
Michael Pure
Innkeeper
North Tustin, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The hotel was a little quirky. Multi levels and stairs. Old building so small elevator may be tough for lots of luggage. My room was clean and nice but very small. Bathroom was large but poor water pressure. The door on the room stuck. Hotel definitely had some character.

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Thank-you very much for your recent stay at the Margarita European Inn and taking the time to share your comments with other travelers. I think you description fits us to a tee. During our remodel we took great pains to preserve the nature of the building while offering first class customer amenities. We offer rooms in a variety of configurations and work hard to match them with our guest's needs.
I take our water pressure very seriously and can guarantee you that the shower head will be replaced by the time this response is posted. I acknowledge this does not make up for the fact that your stay was not optimal, and for that I apologize. but please know that this feedback is the best tool we have to improve our facility.

Safe Travels
Michael Pure
Innkeeper
Kenosha, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I really hate to share this review....because then the rest of you will discover this place. It is by far my favorite place to stay when I travel to Chicago. The Metra and El is steps away. Evanston itself is full of fantastic places to eat. And this is a one-of-a-kind experience. It's certainly no cookie cutter chain hotel.

Any reviews posted before their renovation in June/July are going to be inaccurate since they've just undergone major revisions. Be sure to check out their Facebook page to see what you're really in store for.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Evanston, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I live near the Margarita and attended a reception there in the Grand Parlor following the memorial service of a friend. It's a lovely room, charming and spacious, and the food buffet was delicious, varied and fresh. The Margarita is located on Oak Street, a block east of Ridge Avenue, so the location is easy to reach while being quieter than it would be on a main street. It's a short walk to stores, restaurants, a post office, a YMCA, and other amenities. A business acquaintance from England who stayed there 2 years ago told me it was a charming place to stay in the European tradition.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Fit our needs traveling to visit family in area- Comfortable, relaxing, very sweet staff. Best for European travelers or travelers looking for something more interesting than a standard American chain hotel- Great value- would stay again

• Stayed August 2014
Vero Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wow! Was I surprised. What a great little "Boutique Hotel" They just re-opened after more renovation and construction. This is what you will find all over Europe. Civilized, friendly, warm and fun. Michael Pure the owner and his trusty GM Kathryn really go all out to personalize your stay. Your wish is their command. Michael has spent some real money to provide a conservative modern interior design. Great colors, beautiful crown molding. The place is nicely decorated. The elevator is a historic work in progress, but certainly quaint. Don't be afraid of it. It's been around longer than most of us, and I am 73. I was in room 504. If I were your I would request that room. It's a small suite. Kathryn says it her favorite. The hotel is within walking distance of many excellent restaurants. Have your coffee and pastry in the Library for breakfast. There is also a nice little courtyard for a small Champagne party. What a great spot to celebrate something.
If I lived in the area I would use this little hotel of most of my small events.

As a visitor to Evanston, or Northwestern you must make this place a "must stay". We love it.

Room Tip: You must request 504
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Been to Margarita European Inn? Share your experiences!