My first real "flag" would have been my attempting to make a reservation. For two days I called with no one answering the phone and no answering service. I finally got hold of someone and we did still stay at the hotel. The location was perfect for us. Great neighborhoods to stroll or drive thru, close to the lake to go for a walk, and close to shops and dining. We parked easily enough on the street so that we did not have to pay the $10 fee the hotel charges. I agree with other reviews in that the back of the hotel where the parking lot is does look neglected. Even though this hotel boasts recent renovations, there is still quite a lot that could be done. Our room was roomy enough and I personally found the decor to be nice (grey walls with black and white accents). Our bedding was nice with a variety of pillows to choose from. The windows are most likely originals with no screens and poor weatherization, but that was not an issue for us at the time. I found the place to be sort of dusty with kinda of ghostly feel? Breakfast was supposed to start at 7 am but did not have the food out until 7:30 which gave us a late start in our busy day. The food that was out included coffee, juices, hard boiled eggs, a nice variety of pastries (not store bought), fruit and yogurt. Also, toast, English muffins and individual packaged hot cereals. Wish it would have been on time so we could have enjoyed it. The front desk staff was very pleasant, although there was only one person at the desk and that led to waiting. I did enjoy the antique lifts which hold about 4 people with little or no luggage. We noticed a nice mix of European travelers/businessmen in the hotel. I did not see any families or children. For the price (about $125) I though it the value was OK. Different for sure, with the character of the building.
I would most likely stay here again hoping that upgrades are still being made and that is mostly based on my fondness of the neighborhood.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chicagoland, Evanston's, Freshly remodeled Boutique hotel. Close to Northwestern and 1 block to public transportation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Margarita European Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Margarita European Hotel Evanston
- Margarita European Evanston