“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Evanston
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed in the Euro style rooms with shared bath during our previous stays at the Margarita. This time we stayed in a standard queen room with private bath because of availability. It was a very comfortable room from bed to surprisingly spacious bath. The hotel is neat and clean, if not a little worn around the edges. The staff is very accommodating. Our most recent visit was during a very cold, wet, gray spell. We asked about starting a fire in the parlor fireplace, no problem. The continental breakfast is always fresh and enough to be filling. The cookies in the evening are a nice touch. We'll keep going back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This B & B, located on a quiet street in downtown Evanston, turned out to be a charming and comfortable place to stay. The room was small but clean, the bathroom surprisingly large (though it required a step up to enter, not handicapped-accessible and a bit hazardous at night). Temperature control worked well as did the free wireless internet. The hot water on my third-floor room took a long time to come in, though, resulting in a lot of water waste. The included breakfast was somewhat basic, heavy on the packaged foods, but the spacious, sunny sitting room (complete with grand piano) in which it was served almost made up for the pre-fab quality. Service is courteous and considerate, but the lobby is not staffed between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.--this can make catching an early airport shuttle, for example, a bit inconvenient. Still, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Didn't realize how nice it was to have a break from the chains. No, there's no pool, no room service, but it felt like traveling in Europe 20 years ago. What I had was a quiet, comfortable (if a little ugly and dark), very clean room with an updated bathroom (great water pressure) and access to a lovely parlor with floor to ceiling balcony doors that open. I stayed there because it was three blocks from a friend I was visiting. Can't beat location: three blocks from lake, one block from L and Metra down to Chicago. Evanston is bustling: the university, boutiques and chains, great food. Glad to have a low-key hotel experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Westchester County, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The MEI is a charmingly unique and historical hotel -- at least in the lobby and common rooms -- which are wonderful! I was visiting my daughter at NU and was on a mission to spend as little money as possible . . . so I had THE cheapest room in the place . . . $79/nite. Compared to the rates at the 2 nearby Hilton hotels, where I have stayed before, this is quite a bargain. That being said . . . you get what you pay for. I had a very small room with a double bed, bureau, desk and closet. Very old furnishings and, frankly, quite dismal to look at . . . but I slept very soundly! I shared a bathroom with other residents of the 5th floor. Again, OLD fixtures . . . but very clean and there never seemed to be anyone else competing for its use. Towels and bathrobe are provided in the room. No hair dryer or iron. The air conditioning unit (swamp cooler?) was an "interesting" feature of the room -- fortunately I did not need it, so did not discover how well it worked. Also, wifi did not reach my room. I had to go down to the common areas for access. Continental breakfast in the morning is basic/adequate, but in a very lovely, antique-filled setting. The coffee is very good, which is most important in my book! Parking for $8/nite behind the hotel -- again, far cheaper than at the Hiltons -- but I am glad I never ventured back there by myself at night. Terrific hotel location near campus, shops and restaurants. I will try to convince my husband to stay there with me in the future . . . in a room with a private bath! Recommendation: offer tea in the late afternoons!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful location for college. Had private room/bath. No extras like hair dryer, irons or coffee but the structure and history well make up for the loss of these. Breakfast simple but highly recommend dinner in restaurant. Excellent mushroom tag dish prepared final steps table side and we both raved about it. Too rich for entire meal but split as starter it is wonderful. Had duck and beef and both excellently prepared and presented!

• Stayed September 2012
cherry hill nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Though this inn is charming, it has a rigid and inflexible reservation system. I made the reservations with the inn last spring but because of an unexpected change in plans, I called to cancel. I called 48 hours in advance of what I thought the reservation was, but apparently I'd called only 36 hours in advance (8:15 am for a reservation the following evening). The reservation office insisted on charging me the ENTIRE night. She would not budge. I explained to her that this was penny wise and pound foolish because my D is a student at Northwestern and I'd be using this place for the next four years--she still wouldn't budge. I said that I would have to find a hotel that had a more flexible reservation policy and she said, "Good luck with that."

I won't need luck. I'll simply need a phone. MANY places in Evanston have a less rigid reservation policy and ALL places are able to handle situations on a case by case basis.

Do not go.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stay at the Margarita Inn when I visit Chicago because it is very quiet, easy to get to and saves me over $100 a night compared to downtown Chicago. The CTA ride into downtown is quick and convenient. Staff are very helpful, rooms are clean and very quiet. The breakfasts are basic, but fine. This is my fourth time there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Margarita European Inn? Share your experiences!