“Home from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ballinderry Inn

You added Ballinderry Inn to your Saves list
Ballinderry Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   13 Moira Road, Upper Ballinderry BT28 2HQ, Northern Ireland (Formerly Gil Good Lodge)   |
donegal
“Home from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

we hit upon this B&B by chance and I must say the gods were smiling on us. upon our arrival we were treated like royalty - Annette couldn't have done more to make us feel welcome . the room was excellent - clean, warm and superbly equipped for a B&B - I am partial to a late night cuppa before retiring and I was more than pleased to find that we had tea/coffee facilities in our room.
breakfast was worthy of three michelin stars - excellent choice from the continental breakfast to the full blown Irish washed down with gallons of tea or coffee if we had wanted. I must say that the service we received would put many a five star hotel to shame - management and staff of this homely guesthouse are outstanding in their desire to make their guests feel they have known them for years. without a doubt we will be returning to Gil Good sooner rather than later.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
york uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

had two weeks in belfast working . the food there was tops .the rooms clean. bar staff good

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

I recently stayed at the Gil Good Lodge on a trip to norther ireland from the USA. Not only was the place convenient to all points north it was easy to find and located near enough to town areas and farm areas alike.

The lodge was clean and comfortable and the Irish breakfast the the morning was the best I've ever had. Not only would I recommend this place, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I stayed here for 14 nights while I visited family, as it is located really close to where my relatives live, and is also really handy for the main road to the airport and Lisburn / Belfast.

The hosts Annette and her partner were extremely welcoming and accommodating – arriving after midnight due to a delayed flight was no issue - and Annette has a fantastic “can do” attitude. Whenever I made a request nothing was any trouble.

The home cooked Ulster breakfast was excellent, and there was a range of cereals & yoghurts too if you prefer the lighter option.

For the price, which was by far cheaper than any other option in the Lisburn area (I paid £45 per night for Bed and Breakfast), I was happy with the accommodation. However, staying for such an extended period you start to notice things, and there are just a few areas I feel could be improved.

While the hosts acknowledge the bathrooms need updating, I feel they could be quickly improved by more thorough cleaning. There was some mould / mildew around the showers, old empty sachets of shower gel on top of the shower-tidy, and the floor didn’t look as clean as it could. There was also a fair bit of dust around the edges of floors / under furniture, and the odd dust-web / cobweb in the ceiling corners.

I have to say though, the areas that really matter, i.e. the dining area, centre of bedroom floor, beds, sink & bath were all perfectly clean.

The tendency for housekeeping to leave the bedroom windows open concerned me, as all of the rooms are on the ground floor, and while there’s unlikely to be anyone passing on foot, being on a main A road, this made me uneasy from a security point of view. Annette was more than happy to leave mine shut when I requested it though.

Servicing of the rooms was a little inconsistent – some mornings my biscuits were replenished, some not, likewise with the bin liner in the waste-paper bin, and one of the bedside lamps was unplugged when I checked in - these are only small details, but can get a bit irritating, and aren't something I've experienced in other places. I think Annette was training new staff so this may explain this.

The other things that would be appreciated are: a “do not disturb” sign (just for a more relaxed lie-in when required!); an ironing board (there was an iron, but it’d been left with water in it, and I’m not sure the frayed chord would have passed a safely inspection! However I believe an ironing board could be made available on request); Softer towels - the ones I had were consistently quite rough.

All in all, good for the price, just needs a little improvement on the housekeeping front.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

I stay in hotels all over europe and I can honestly say that the Gil-Good Lodge is a rare find in that it is a small independent hotel with staff who genuinely care that everything is to your satisfaction, nothing is too much trouble.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable and the whole hotel has a real "homely" feel to it you instantly feel at home in the bar or lounge and the food is great.

For a hotel with character and charm you could do a lot worse than the Gil-Good I can't recommend this hotel highly enough

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Grimsby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

I've stayed many times at the Lodge and i go back everytime and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. When i arrive i'm greeted with a friendly smile and into the comfy rooms to relax and take a hot shower were their is plenty off hot water even for a bath filled to the brim!! then into the bar for evening meal and their is nothing better than tucking into a huge juicy steak cooked by Annette with a refreshing pint with a huge flat screen on the wall just a perfect way to relax. The meals are cooked to perfection everytime and the portions are enough for 2,then after the meal its friendly football banter with James.
Then into bed for a peaceful nights sleep.
Annette and James are the perfect hosts and i'm hoping to be back soon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

I'm over for business in Northern Ireland pretty often, and this is a great little B&B that is really handy for Belfast International (and Belfast itself) and is a more homely environment when you are travelling and staying regularly - I get really sick of faceless hotels. As well as lovely rooms there is a comfortable sitting room and a nice little bar. The staff couldn't be friendlier.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Ballinderry Inn? Share your experiences!