“Do Not Stay Here!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West

You added Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West to your Saves list
Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 East Higgins Road, Higgins & Oakton/I-90, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Bushnell, IL
“Do Not Stay Here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

I usually always check on tripadvisor before making hotel reservations. This time I did not, as we went on a spur of the moment trip to Mexico and needed several days of parking. Choosing this hotel was a huge mistake. I agree with others that the hotel was scary!! When we arrived after dark, MANY people, mostly men, were hanging out in the parking lot; I am not sure what goes on there and don't think I want to know. There is a club right next door that friends that live in Elk Grove Village later told us was a gay bar, so that might explain the large number of men in the parking lot--to each his own, that did not bother us..just maybe an explanation for all of the men standing around drinking and all. The man at the desk talked on the phone the whole time he checked us in, except to say that he did not work there anymore???? He was rude and unfriendly! The room was really not that bad...a typical Day's Inn room. What was very creepy was the ride at 5 am to the airport; the man that took us did not utter one word to us..like a have a nice day or a nice flight. I don't know why, but we tipped him, as we usually do for airport rides. He did not even say thank you. On the return trip, the same unfriendly man picked us up..we were the only ones in the van, even though is was 4 in the afternoon. Again, he did not say one work, but glared at us in the mirror. We did not give him a dime this time--he actually sneered at me when he walked away from us. This man was very scary and rough looking. He looked extremely dirty, as did the shuttle van, which others have also mentioned. This hotel staff needs to learn something about guest relations!! They need to learn that a few friendly words would go a long way. I would never stay at this location again, and am very surprised that Days Inn allows it to be in their chain!! There are several other nearby hotels that offer a park and fly; I encourage everyone to pay the few extra dollars and upgrade to a decent place. I even wanted to drive to the airport in our car rather than take advantage of the free parking because I was afraid for our car to be left there. It was ok when we got back, though. NEVER AGAIN!! This hotel seemed to be run by a Patel family, as so many of the hotels in the U.S. now are. This has never bothered us before..however, this family should be steered clear of!!!

• Liked — inexpensive; 20 minutes from the airport
  • Disliked — shuttle driver; filthy van
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Nanaimo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

I was a single female travelling alone - I am a very seasoned traveller and have stayed in all types of hotels, budget accommodations and hostels and I have never been afraid to sleep like I was in your hotel. First off, the front desk guy looked like a gang member, there was activity from 1am to 4am in the back parking lot that suggested drug dealing, there were vehicles parked alongside this activity that appeared to be gang vehicles, and to top it off the hallway of the hotel outside my door smelled of crack cocaine. The stairway up to the second floor could be accessed by anyone - strangers would not have to by pass the front desk to get to the rooms upstairs and the doorway accessing the stairway was not locked, so hotel security was nil in my opinion. The bed linen looked like it had been slept in already (all wrinkled) and the hundreds of finger nail scratchings on the wall hanging just above the bed's headboard suggested that the hotel rents rooms hourly. I saw a cock roach in the bathroom. This room disgusted me and I was afraid for my safety - I was honestly ready to pile furniture in front of the door. If I had not been flying out at 6am I would have simply left the already paid room and went somewhere I felt safe.

I am a law enforcement officer in Canada so I'm well aware of the signs of gang/drug activity and this hotel has some serious problems.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Denver, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

Terrible beds. Had bugs near the door. In desperate need of renovations. Not your typical Days Inn. Not in a safe area. Hotel offers a continental breakfast, I had breakfast at a nearby McDonalds. Enough said. One a positive note, Front Desk was very nice.

Stayed July 2008
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

I had a night's stay booked at this hotel last week. In the interest of saving money, I wanted a place close to O'Hare that could be reached via free shuttle or mass transit. A car would be the easiest way to reach the hotel, but I took the 223W bus from the Rosemont station, which stops a few hundred feet from the hotel's main entrance. Note, the 223E bus follows a slightly different route and will not put you as close to the hotel. Check-in was very fast, they already had my room key and receipt ready when I arrived. The desk clerk asked if I needed a shuttle to the airport, and I signed up for a time then. The shuttle leaves at the top of the hour, starting at 4 am. I don't know how you would go about catching the shuttle from the airport, it may just run one way.

My room was up one flight of stairs from the office. It had a king bed, and although basic, was clean. No insects, mold, hair, etc that I could find. It was also rather large, looked like they could have fit two queens or kings instead of just one. I wish I could have slept in later, but an early flight forced me out of bed bright and early. The breakfast consisted of fresh pastries/doughnuts/longjohns as well as coffee, orange and apple juice. There's a McDonald's on one side of the hotel, and what looked like a nudie bar on the other. If you're looking for clean, budget accommodations, I'd give this place a look.

• Liked — clean and affordable
  • Disliked — Out of the way location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

I don't understand why place like that still in services in big city like chicago bad personal treatment no room services nthe room was dirty ,phone call harassing all of time,we call three or four time to find housekeeper to clean up the room,don't go there. if their is something less than one star i will give it to this terrible place

• Liked — nothong bad choice
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

The other reviewers aren't lying when they say this place is dirty. Not just dirty, but filthy. I'm not really one to complain; as long as the room is clean and in working order, I'm fine. This one though...whew. I stayed here in October of 2005, and judging by what others are saying, they haven't done a darn thing different since that time.

We requested the "suite" with the "jacuzzi" and let me tell ya, I wouldn't bathe my DOG in that thing. It was terribly outdated, the hardware was rusty and stained, and there were even pieces of bath oil packets stuck to the bottom. They never bothered to clean it between guests!!

The rest of the room wasn't much better. The only thing they seemed to do was make the bed. That was it. It needed a good vaccuuming and an even better cleaning.

I guess you get what you pay for, but you'd think Days Inn and its employees would take more pride in their establishments.

I'll be going back to the Chicago area often, as I have good friends there, but I WON'T be staying at this hotel. What a disgrace.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Filth!
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Isle of Wight
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

This hotel is cheap for a very good reason - there appears to be little to recommend it, at all.
The shuttle bus is dirty, untidy and took an hour and a half to collect me after the phone call to the hotel.
The rooms are dilapidated but the linen appeared clean. The windows do not seem to eliminate much of the traffic noise, and there was guest noise from an adjoining room.
There was no hot water for shaving or showering and the bathroom sink plug would not seal properly. The bathroom fittings were dull and old.
Spend another $30/£15 and get a better place.

• Disliked — Its dilapidated condition and lack of hot water
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West? Share your experiences!