“A motel as a motel should be.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marcotte's Family Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Elizabeth
Marcotte's Family Motel
2156 East Route 20, Elizabeth, IL 61028   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Elizabeth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A motel as a motel should be.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I had driven a U-Haul accross parts of Iowa - booooooring! - that day, continuing onwards to Illinois, and had already picked Elizabeth, IL as my goal for the night. When I finally showed up at Marcotte's Family Motel way late and way after dark (in the middle of August) I nevertheless received a perfectly friendly welcome and found myself in a clean and spacious room in less than five minutes. I had about as much space as I had in the apartment where I had been living, and mind you, this was 'only' a motel room. In the morning there was a tray with a coffee thermos and a vanilla sauce covered muffin outside the room, so yes, for a night's stay while on the move from A to B it was absolutely perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
bolingbrook, Illinois, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was not impressed with this place at all. Thankfully, I only had to spend one night there. Our room smelled musty and when I went to open the window to get some fresh air there were a bunch of dead bugs & wasps in the window. Our overhead light had one blown out bulb & the light fixture had a bunch of dead bugs in it. The blanket on our bed was at least 30 years old...seriously. This place is trying to disguise "old" as "antique". I did not feel clean and was worried about what I was touching. Not to mention that we could hear the man in the next room snoring all night! The water pressure and temperature in the shower seemed to vary, possilby due others showering or flushing their toliets?? It was about $20 overpriced also. Definitely not a place that I would ever recommend or stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Northbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I just happened on the Marcotte by accident. Going there two weeks ago, we were having difficulty making reservations anywhere in the Galena area and luckily the Marcotte had just gotten a last-minute cancellation. We felt particularly fortunate when we arrived there because the Marcotte was the type of homey, friendly, scenic spot we were looking for. Our little apartment was spotless, everything from the TV to the shower worked just fine and we had the most magnificent view of the countryside right outside our door. Donna was very friendly and gave us tips on the arts and crafts shows in the region. The homemade muffins and coffee first thing the next morning were just the right touch. We stayed there the first time by accident. The next time it will be by design.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at Marcotte's Family Motel 2 nights and very much enjoyed my stay. The owners were very nice and provided a tray of coffee and muffins each morning outside our room. The room was nice and cozy with an updated looking bathroom. There was a microwave and refrigerator in the room both of which were clean. I was vacationing in Galena for the weekend and the motel was 15-20 minutes outside of Galena but for the price I didn't mind driving the few extra minutes. Even though I didn't not get to enjoy the campfire they built outside Saturday I thought that was a nice touch. This motel has a beautiful view and they have tables and chairs for their guests to enjoy it. I would definitely stay here again if out that way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed several days. I am not as excited about it as some reviewers. The owners are very nice. The room I was in was OK. The setting is beautiful but be aware that it is a mile out of town. It is a very peaceful place. The owners built a campfire on Saturday night which was very hospitable. The muffins delivered to the room in the morning -- very thoughtful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I made the mistake of reading the glowing reviews of Marcotte Family Motel and booked a room here. Upon arrival, the owners were nowhere to be found. The room reminded me of my great grandma's apartment, which always spooked me out each time I visited. Smashed bugs on the ceiling .... does anyone care to clean it? Creepy chairs, mismatched furniture - I am sure these could be beautiful antiques, but they need a lot of refurbishing! The bed was totally uncomfortable - my husband and I woke up with sore backs and necks each morning. The bathroom was pretty creepy, too. The toilet barely flushed - and the sink was insanely tiny and the layout of the washroom was very poorly designed. The door barely closed in the bathroom, as well! Usually a hotel will provide you with a small bar of soap for the washroom - there was nothing. Just two packets of shampoo that looked like ketchup packets. My husband and I were not pleased at all and wanted to leave early - that's how miserable we were! When we did leave, the owners just took the keys and said, "Thanks." The only reason why I am giving this two stars is because of the fresh coffee and muffins in the morning - this property's only saving grace.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcottesFamilyMotel, Owner at Marcotte's Family Motel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
It concerns us greatly that your stay at our lodging property was less than our normal high standards. We would have loved the opportunity to correct any problems that you encountered with your stay at that time. We do apologize if we did not ask you how your stay was at the time you turned your key in; this is usually a question we ask because we are invested in being sure our guests had a great stay, and in keeping our property in as peak of condition as we possibly can. We have stepped up our inspection process to ensure that the normal room amenities are present in each room and that our rooms are all cleaned to our normal high standards. It bruised our ego a bit to receive such a negative review but we recognize Trip Advisor not only as a tool for travelers but also as a tool for property owners to correct problems that guests write about. We apologize that at the time of your stay, things were not up to your expectations. In regards to the plumbing, we are currently checking all rooms for the slow flushing toilet and will be sure that the problem is solved. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and making us aware of your concerns. We're so glad that you did enjoy the coffee/muffin tray outside your door in the morning!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Clean, comfortable, best area price in a beautiful natural setting. A wise traveler will stay here in Elizabeth while exploring Galena, the gorgeous Jo Daviess County countryside, the Mississippi River Valley or the Driftless Area. Our room was large with queen bed, sofa, dresser, and rocking chair at window with fantastic view. TV and bathroom also. Coffee and muffins in the morning. Set on a typically gorgeous piece of land with farms around it. There is a beautiful country road alongside it for a walk. We were only going to stay one night. I stayed three not only because our car broke down near arrival, but I found what I was looking for right here! Donna and Art are great people and really took fantastic care of us in what could have been a very scary situation. I know this area well, this is an outstanding value with hosts that were as kind as friends or family. I won't ever stay anywhere else in these parts.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate your glowing review and hope you return again soon.
Thanks again,
Donna and Art

Been to Marcotte's Family Motel? Share your experiences!