“Very Good After Complete Remodel Inside and Out” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 175 Restaurants in Elgin
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Good After Complete Remodel Inside and Out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Alexander's Cafe just reopened after being closed for several months for a complete remodel and update. This definitely needed to be done, and my wife and I were quite happy with the results.

The new interior decor is modern and beautiful. The tables are nice wood, and there is nice stonework throughout the restaurant. The outside of the restaurant was also completely redone and looks very nice.

As part of the update the name has been slightly changed from Alexander's to Alexander's Cafe. The menus were completely reworked with many new choices that they did not have before. I had a delicious omelet with roasted potatoes, which was very flavorful. My only complaint was that the pancakes that were served with the omelet were the smallest pancakes I have ever seen from any restaurant anywhere in the country. When I saw them, I was very surprised because they were about half the size of other restaurants in the area. My wife had a chicken skewer salad. She liked the taste and said her only issue was that with the chicken being on skewers, you did not get as much chicken as if the chicken was an entire chicken breast on top of the salad.

My wife and I would like to suggest that you eliminate the mason jar glasses. We have never liked them, and were hoping that they would be tossed in the remodel. It was kind of funny that nearly every other possible thing in the inside and outside of the restaurant was updated and modernized, but the old style mason jar glasses were kept. We simply don't like them. Enough said about that.

The service was good. Our server checked back with us several times during our meal, which was appropriate. All of the employees we spoke with were very friendly. All in all, it was a very nice visit. We will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Barton
“Excellent stop in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a very nice restraint with great food and the best atmosphere you could ask for. The people in the place were a great cross section of Americana. Service was excellent and friendly. I was very happy with the interaction with my children. warm friendly great food.

Visited August 2013