“Not a Good Choice” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Effingham

You added Econo Lodge Effingham to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Effingham
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1412 W Fayette Rd, Effingham, IL 62401 (Formerly Rodeway Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Effingham
Philly Area
“Not a Good Choice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Was assigned this hotel via a website where you pay first to get a great price. The price was great, the hotel was not. The room was very outdated with threadbare towels and barely lukewarm water. It was fairly clean and the bed was fairly comfortable, but the whole place had a feeling of rundown and badly in need of renovation. Breakfast was a collect of cereal and two kinds of juice, and milk. You ate in the very small lobby. Staff was never at the desk when I went in. Even with the great price, I would look for another place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room on front side of hotel. In the back the trucks run their engines and you hear engine no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
John P, Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Carl949 we are grateful to customers like yourself that bringing these kinds of absentees of employees and breakfast to our attention. We are sorry that there was no representative at the office multiple times when you came in the office. We are offering a variety of breakfast items which includes biscuits and gravy and fresh make your own Belgian waffles every morning. We also have paid attention to the towels and have changed our linens. We hope to see you on your way through here next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The rooms are nasty. The beds are horribly uncomfortable. The shower was nasty, really nasty. The toilet came up off the wall. The pool was DISGUSTING. Hadn't been clean. It's bad when the guests clean it themselves and the worker comes out and doesn't even bother helping. We were swimming with thousand of bugs and I kid you not something touched me while swimming. The rooms smelled and was super hot. We had to go by candles and air freshner. This is by far the most disgusting and horrible place I have ever stayed at. I advise
you not to stay here ever. And there was no wifi!!

• Stayed June 2013
Vicky M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Sir,
On behalf of my staff and myself i would like to apoligize for your having a bad expierience
at our hotel.I do have to say that i am a little confused about the ad price, as we do not have any ads placed that i have been aware of. Thank you for letting me know the problems you expierienced during your stay. I assure you i will use this information to better our hotel,
and staff. I do hope you will consider giving our hotel another chance.
Vicky Mckerrow
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I wasn't impressed, nor was I upset. It's a safe, semi-clean room with working a/c and wifi. The staff who checked us in was friendly. I would suggest you go somewhere else for breakfast though. Or bring something - we had a microwave and minifridge. The food didn't look all that tasty and therefore didn't even try it. There is a Hardee's right across the street if needed. Overall, if you just need a bed to sleep in for the night, go for it. If you are a germaphobe, go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was staying there through work for a Christmas party and when I got back to the room around midnight, I realized there was no toilet paper or towels. I called the front desk numerous times and did not get an answer. I continued to call and when the front desk worker answered, he told me to go shoot myself and I was not getting any of these items. When I went down to the front desk to speak to someone, the same man (Todd) that answered the phone was standing behind the desk. When I looked down at the desk, my room key was sitting out on the desk for anyone to grab. Once I told the man that I was who he had yelled at on the phone, he began throwing items that were sitting on the desk at me and began getting violent. Thankfully, other customers heard the noise and stepped in before the man attacked me. Come to find out, the front desk worker had been drinking with some of the customers in their room earlier that night and was extremely intoxicated. When I was leaving the hotel the next morning, I told the manager of the hotel about what happened and her only response was, "Well, that doesn't surprise me. I'll make sure to talk to someone about it."... I will NEVER return to that hotel again. I would recommend not staying there to anyone else unless you want to be assaulted by front desk workers and extremely disrespected.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brookland, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

A friend and I stayed here on our way home to Arkansas from the 2012 Indianapolis MotoGP on Aug. 20, 2012. After three nights in a seedy Motel 6 in Speedway, Ind., the Econo Lodge felt downright luxurious.
I had booked the room online that morning from our Motel 6 room, so checking in was a breeze. There are plenty of nearby dining opportunities and there's a big Conoco/Jack Flash gas station right next door.
Given its location right next to I-70/I-57 and the nearby amenities, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The place is OLD and tired. The mattress had a visible SAG in it. The carpets were FILTHY. There was MOLD in the shower and on the shower curtain... and to top it off we had a rodent of some sort (mouse? rat?) living in our room. The lobby had the distinct odor of marijuana and the guy working there was just plain CREEPY.

For the same price you can go to the SUPER 8 which is CLEAN, freshly painted, CLEAN carpets and conveniently located near walmart and many restaurants.

I highly do NOT suggest staying at the Econo Lodge unless you are desperate. It was a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Go to another motel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Haddon Heights, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed a night here on a cross country trip. Convenient location to the interstate, but so are a lot of other hotels that are probably nicer and in a better repair. We asked for a non-smoking room, but the room really smelled of smoke. Could have been because we were located on the 2nd floor above all of the 1st floor smoking rooms. Room was old and greatly needed to be redone. The wallpaper was peeling, the back of the door had a strange liquid running down it, and all of the outlets were hanging out of the wall. I am happy to have had my own blankets and pillow with me while staying here and I wore my flip flops in the shower. The front if the heater/ac fell off in the middle of the night and sounded like it was going to explode. The shower pressure honestly felt like a fire hose, very hard. Luckily, we were only here about 7 hours total, or I probably would have left. Went to the free breakfast buffet in the morning, but it smelled so bad we turned right around and left. I would pay a little more to stay somewhere nicer if passing through again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge Effingham? Share your experiences!