“The old "go to"” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 56 Restaurants in Effingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations
Effingham, Illinois
“The old "go to"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I am not originally from Effingham so do not see the allure to this place. It is one of those places everyone continues to go to because it has been here so long, it has become an institution. To be fair, I have only been here twice but the food was average at best and the menu selections were dated. I do understand they do a huge catering business that is needed in the area. From school functions and weddings, to all types of business functions. The prices are reasonable and fair.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great food Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The chicken here is the best, catfish too. It might be a steak house, but don't order steak. Salad bar is good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington Court House, Ohio
“Family style restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Place was packed....great salad bar....had the steak...was OK....service very good......wide variety menu....

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Charles, Missouri
“A good place to go for a good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I heard that Niemerg's Steak House is a good place to eat, so another couple and us drove from St. Charles, MO to Effingham, ILL for lunch. It is a little better than a 2 hour drive. Not unusual for us. It is much larger inside than what it looks from the outside. Didn't take long to get seated. We had the steak dinner with baked potato. I have to say, I had problems from the beginning. Had a very large bad spot in the potato and grizzle in my steak. So it was not a good start for me. However, everyone else in our party loved the food. Very reasonably priced and the flavor was good. I just happened to have not the best meal. The restaurant has a great reputation. So I did not rate the restaurant from my meal, but from the others.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Peoria, Illinois
“Packed House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My Friends and I were on the road traveling this past saturday and we decided to stop for a nice dinner and Niemergs Steak House was the right choice. We walked in around 730 to a packed house. The wait was only about 20 mins. for four people so we enjoyed a cocktail in the lounge. The dining room has an amazing salad bar with so many options!!! The staff was very friendly and very fast with the service. We will be making this a stop the next time we are passing through.

• 4 of 5 stars Food