“Best Hotel in town!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Effingham

You added Holiday Inn Effingham to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Effingham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 Avenue of Mid-America, Effingham, IL 62401 (Formerly Hilton Garden Inn Effingham)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Effingham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Best Hotel in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I've stayed in this hotel for 2 long weeks due to a business training my company provided. It is great hotel, professional staff, great service and the restaurant was excellent. Food was exceptional!
Beautiful lobby and waiting area with big comfy couches. Room was very clean. Comfortable bed and pillows. Great fitness and pool facility that kept me in shape after all the yummy food I ate from the restaurant.
I had a very enjoyable stay and well rested nights. Thanks to Hilton Garden Inn for being my home for 2 weeks. I highly recommend this hotel to other fellow travelers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

While in the middle of the complex where I-57 crosses I-95, with all the fast food restaurants and every hotel brand you have ever heard of (and some you certainly have not), The Hilton Garden Inn was a surprize for us when we recently stayed there for a high school reunion for my wife. The rooms in the hotel were on the verge of luxurious, and certainly the largest I have stayed in with this chain. They were quite well decorated, as was the rest of the hotel. The service was outstanding, and the meals in the on-site restauraunt were better than we would have thought they were. Quite a surprize. Really great rooms, outstanding service, and good food. Not something we would have expected for a hotel in this location. While there is nothing much to recommend around the hotel, or in the area, this hotel is worth the stop, if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms are not particularly cheap, but negotiations seem possible.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hudson Valley, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We spent one night at the Hilton Garden Inn in Effingham. I reserved a “1 Bedroom Suite” which I expected to be like most Hilton properties, where the bedroom is separated from the rest of the suite by a door. I realize there are many other hotel chains where a “suite” can mean nothing more separate sitting and sleeping areas separated by a knee wall, but Hilton is usually pretty good about reserving the term for real separate rooms, so you can put the kids to bed in one room while you stay up in the other. Unfortunately in this Hilton Garden Inn the suite is one large room with the bathroom situated in the middle, so there is a sitting area where you enter, then the hall and bathroom, then bedroom near the windows. Watching TV in either room guarantees that light and sound will easily travel to the other room.

The hotel has an upscale decor, from the landscaping to the light fixtures to the artwork. Even my 7-year-old commented on it. It seems as though they are trying to be a really fine downtown hotel even though they are located at a highway interchange amongst truck stops, fast food restaurants, and big box stores. Still, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the most upscale hotel in the area. On the other hand, at times it almost made the hotel feel stuffy.

The room and hotel overall seemed very clean. Although our room faced the highway, we didn’t hear any road noise, or any noise from other guests inside the hotel. The air conditioning was a bit loud as it cycled on and off, but while on I very quickly grew accustomed to it.

While the hotel did provide water and had cookies in the evening they did not provide a free breakfast. Two of us did pay for breakfast, figuring it really wasn’t much more expensive than what we’d pay at a sit-down chain restaurant. The food was cooked to order, and quite tasty. We didn’t have dinner at the hotel, but the bar and restaurant looked crowded as we passed and since there are plenty of other options nearby, I suspect it is quite good.

While the hotel was OK, knowing that the suites aren’t really suites would help me more accurately compare prices to other properties in the area. I might stay again, but would be just as likely to try someplace else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Professionally managed. Fabulous restaurant. Helpful and attentive staff. Lovely rooms. All praise and cheers for this Hilton Garden Inn. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

the ppl qt the front desk were very very kind and curtious she helped carry stuff to our rooms. the only bad thing was tht i went to eat at the resturaunt and they got my order wrong. but i confeonted her about the mistake and she gave me a new meal plus a full refund on the whole bill, considering i was eating with 10 other ppl. very very impressed..!

• Stayed July 2011
Lebanon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

When visiting family in Mattoon, we generally stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn in Mattoon. Unfortunately, for our last visit we could not find a room for under $155/night because of Bagelfest. Instead, we decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Effingham. For $125/night, this was an excellent value for an above average hotel. This hotel is a step above Hampton Inn in terms of quality of furnishings and amenities. The room was spotlessly clean with no signs of wear or abuse that we could see. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was maybe a bit smaller than I expected based on the room size as a whole, but certainly serviceable. The hotel was right off the highway, but we could hear no noise. One thing I really enjoy about Garden Inn is the pantry at the front desk - it is nice to pick up a small bottle of wine or a beer and a snack to take back to the room without paying a ridiculous room service price.
We did not eat at the restaurant, but we did see what appeared to be a wedding party enjoying themselves there one evening. It appeared to be as clean and well run as the rest of the hotel.
Desk staff and housekeeping were all very pleasant and professional. I would certainly stay here again when in Effingham.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

While we have stayed in Effingham many times, this was our first stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. We spent two nights here for a wedding and family reunion. The rooms were very nice, the pool/hot tub were great, and the breakfast (I definitely recommend getting the bed & breakfast package!) was fantastic. Housekeeping could be improved some but overall, the staff was friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here on future visits.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Effingham? Share your experiences!