“What a great find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Effingham
Virginia
“What a great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We stayed in Effingham on an overnight stop to Southern Illinois, and I had reserved a room here because I usually try to find Country Inns wherever we travel, and partly because of the reviews on tripadvisor. I must say that this hotel exceeded all expectations, and if you are in the area, stay here. It is very easy access off the interstate, and is located right in the heart of many other hotels, restaurants, a Wal Mart, and a mini shopping plaza. The room was spacious, and very clean, quiet through the night, and even though we did not take advantage of the continental breakfast, it looked nice as we left. The staff was extremely friendly, and offered excellent directions when we were trying to find a particular destination. Overall, this stay was one of the best we've had, and I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at Country Inns & Suites Effingham. The staff is awesome, very professional, helpful, and nice. The entire hotel is clean, warm, and bright. We had a two room suite that was very clean, well appointed, well maintained, and very comfortable. I am a light sleeper and was pleasantly surprised at how well sound proofed the room was. We were on the second floor and I was not disturbed by neighbors next door or above. We also took advantage of the free breakfast and really enjoyed the quality and variety of the food served. I also personally enjoyed the nightly cookies that John at the front desk set out in the lobby each evening. The cookies were soft, chewy and very tasty. This is a wonderful hotel and a great value for the service and amenities provided. We will definitely stay at this hotel again on our way West to Kansas to see my folks.

Steve Enright, Ohio

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We had two rooms here for one night as we traveled home. Great indoor pool and a free breakfast. One of our rooms was a larger queen suite.
Room had two beds in one room with a door that divided the bathroom and living room into a separate area. Living room had a fold out sofa.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Great motel! 2ND time staying in it this year. This time we had a room on the front side (closes to Interstate) If you are a light sleeper I would recommend you ask for a room on back side. The interstate traffic woke me up at 4AM both mornings. We were in a upstairs room. The room was fine to us. I did find 2 "minor" problems wrong with the room (they were no big deal to us but to some people it could be a big turn off) We discovered a empty juice bottle & head band on the floor between the bed and night stand. (don't know how housekeeping missed this cause it was the first thing we noticed when we looked at the beds) and the other thing was the blow dryer was not working. (actually looked like room could use new blow dryer) Other than this we didn't see anything else wrong. Looked like rooms had new comforters sence last time we stayed there. Breakfast was just fine and there was plenty of it. Pool & hot tub area looked fine too. Everything was just fine and next time I stay there we will request a room on the back side.

• Liked — close to shopping, restaurants, etc.
  • Disliked — interstate noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

We are seasoned travelers and wanted to take our children and grandchildren to visit some family in the Effingham area. We chose this hotel based on reviews from Trip Advisor. What a pleasant experience!! Desk person was very friendly and helpful. Hotel was most inviting with a fireplace going and warm cookies. Room space was normal for this type of hotel. We chose a suite (a couch and a tv). Swiming pool was very nice and temperature was warm in late Dec. Our grandchildren enjoyed the pool and hot tub immensely. They put on their footed p.j.'s and we sat in their dining area and ordered in pizza. They watched tv there and it was really great. Breakfast the next day was free and well organized. Nothing gourmet but served us well. Everything was clean and well kept. As I said, very "kid friendly". Would highly recommend this hotel for traveling families.

• Liked — The family friendly attitude.
  • Disliked — Room temperature was too warm.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pleasant Prairie, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I stayed here in August of 2008 with just me and my 3 year old daughter. I usually stay at a Country Inns whenever I travel so this one is pretty standard. I was a little disappointed with the breakfast (pre-cooked bacon and sausage and the boiled eggs were bland) but shouldn't really complain since it is complimentary and my daughter enjoyed it. I also had a problem the first night I stayed there - my daughter fell asleep so I had to carry her into the hotel and took the elevator up to the second floor room. The key card wouldn't work so I had to march back downstairs to get it fixed. Then went upstairs again to try the key card - it still didn't work!! This was on a very hot muggy night and my daughter weighs about 40 pounds. I was really upset having to go downstairs again and get the key card working. The third time was a charm. Other than this incident, I was pleased with the hotel.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — key cards didn't work properly
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

My husband and I were driving on 70 and needed to stop for the night in Effingham. I called the Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn (we're prefer Hilton properties when given the chance) but when the Hampton was sold out and the HGI was $15 more than the Country Inn, we took the advice of other Trip Advisor members and stayed there.

John at the front desk was extremely nice and our room was big and clean. They still use the traditional bedspread which I don't like and is one thing that the Hilton properties no longer do.

We have no complaints at all.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Bedspread
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Effingham? Share your experiences!