“One of THE BEST restaurants we visited on our trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Chicago, IL
“One of THE BEST restaurants we visited on our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Took a trip to Missouri from Chicago - drove along 55 and came across this little gem. I can't say enough good things about the service, atmosphere or food. I ordered the fried pork tenderloin sandwich with fries - AMAZING!!! Big enough to feed two people!! Was very very pleased. I would actually drive to this place just to eat....forgot the "Oh it's on the way to...... business"

• Visited June 2013

Springfield Illinois
“Great Saturday Breakfast Buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have eaten luch at this restaurant several times and like it very much but never breakfast. I stopped there mid-morning on a Saturday and they had a wonderful, huge breakfast buffet for less than $10. They just started doing Saturday breakfast around Easter time.
They had chicken fired steak, bacon, sausage, three different kinds of eggs fixed a variety of ways to inculde meat and vegetables. Chef Bret was standing by to make a fresh Belgium Waffle and keep the line fresh.
There were two French Toast offering, one the regular style and the other a wonderful version stuffed with a fresh made vanilla cream and covered with a strawberry concoction similar to preserves. It was like desert.
The best part for me was the Chicken fried steak. Very thin and, not chewy and the crispy coating was perfect. I ate two.
The decor of the place is very retro which besides the good food is one of the reasons I stop and eat there. It seeems like many of the patrons are local and that is always a good sign along an interstate.
Stop in to eat and get your picture taken with The Blues Brothers, Betty Boop or Elvis.

• Visited June 2013
romford
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We are doing the Route 66 and chose to eat here after the reviews on here, and we wasn't disappointed, great atmosphere, and excellent food, and such a good price too, highly recommend, we would go back

Visited April 2013
Freeland, Washington
“some Route 66 memorabilia and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Don't order chicken if you are there later at night and are very hungry. Otherwise it was great food, fun atmosphere, wonderful service with endless soda and tea refills. Don't pass it up if you are on a Route 66 kick... take pix.

• Visited May 2012
Verona, IL
“Big Surprise in a small town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We tried it. We LOVED it! I ordered a sandwich that actually came with warm homemade potato chips. They were great; I love a "different" menu to try new things. While we were eating, we saw people at another table that were eating a pizza that looked incredibly delicious.

We're used to Chicago pizzas and we tried That 50's Place's pizza on our 2nd trip there. It was fantastic! It's up there giving Chicago style pizzas a run for their money...and it is very hard to find a good pizza in these parts.

Yes, we went back again. Our 3rd time was for breakfast. Very reasonably priced and very delicious. Their french toast I believe was the best I've ever tasted. Sausage links were incredibly flavorful and the eggs were great. My husband loved the skillet he ordered which was very unique with the hash browns on the bottom mixed with green peppers and onions and some other things with the egg on top - kind of like an omlet in a skillet...extremely flavorful...I had to try his too.

The atmosphere is great, casual, with memorabilia and music (not too loud) and the service is superb. I can't wait to go again. Very enjoyable!

The only thing that would make this restaurant better is if they delivered a bit further than a 3 to 5 mile radius. That would be great to get a home delivery at times we can't go out.

• Visited June 2012