“Disgusting health hazard” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Chicago
“Disgusting health hazard”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Find something else. I checked in late and my room was so bad I left.

1- mold on the not working ac
2- massive dust on the air intake in bathroom
3- stains on bed spread
4- stains on closet curtain
5- cabinets falling apart
6- food crumbs in nightstand drawer
7- forgotten used towels behind bathroom door.

This place is a health hazard. Stay at your own risk.

Only ok part was that they just let me walk out- they know what a dump that place is.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Downers Grove, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed that you found our hotel to be in such poor condition both mechanically and in cleanliness. Please accept my apology. To uphold our company's high standards, I am retraining my team to ensure that the multiple issues you mentioned do not happen again in the future. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at CDG@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bellwood, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2015

I give very honest reviews and if you stay here it's at your own risk. The review you may have seen regarding conditions by a guest is accurate.
1. Check your mattress carefully. It's not out of the norm to have blood, feces or urine stains.
2. Check the fridge and cabinets always dirty.
3. Every visit my bedding was full of hair which indicates it had not been washed. Comforter had burn holes and stains untreated.
4. Towels need replacing
5. Large number of young guests who are disruptive, selling drugs and prostitution.
6. Not a place for business people or anyone that wants to be secure.
7. Dogs poop any where and guest allowed to let dogs walk without leash ( pitpull) on property.
When you tell front desk about your issues they turn on you. They lie and say they checked the rooms but don't, so when you speak up they get mad. Its about money not service.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Downers Grove, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. It upsets me to hear the condition of your room was substandard and that you did not experience professional service from our staff. I am sorry for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am inspecting the mattresses prior to beds being made by my team as well as making sure our housekeeping staff thoroughly cleans guest rooms to our company’s high standards. I will also be making sure our staff treats every guest with respect. We do not tolerate any illegal activity on our property and I sincerely apologize that you did not feel safe during your stay. Guest safety is our number one concern and I will make sure our security staff increases their rounds to prevent your experience from happening again. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at CDG@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2015

I'm a frequent visitor, as I travel for comedy. I love this location because of the friendly staff. Maryanne constantly makes me feel welcome, and bends over backwards to fix any issues that arise. This is great 4-star service for a 2-star price. I appreciate this location greatly.

Room Tip: Just tell the front staff what your preference is, and they will easily accommodate your request.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our staff and the great service they were able to provide. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2015

Do NOT stay here. I booked this room for my husband and I for a business trip. Let me just start here...
1. They didn't even have our booking so we had to spend 20 min calling Expedia and having them fax over the info
2. The hallway leading to our room smelled overwhelmingly like indian food and weed.
3. Lock was broken on the door as if someone had kicked in the door (wood was actually broken from that)
4. Found hair and stains on the bedding and counters
5. Worst of all and the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in a hotel room was a bloody booger smeared across the wall right next to the bed

The only good thing about this hotel was the woman at the front desk, she was very nice. Although when we told her about the booger she acted like it was no biggie as if she sees that everyday, she apologized and said she hadn't done the room checks yet, which I doubt they do at all. Needless to say we walked right back out and opted for a 4 star hotel. This hotel is the most disgusting hotel I have ever been in. I felt like I needed to burn all my belongings after we left. Also, the main pic on the website shows a nice lobby with seating, its also a scam because there was no seating at all in the lobby. I actually was annoyed waiting on the phone for 20 minutes, having to stand the whole time while my husband and I held all of our stuff since the lobby floors were too filthy to set anything down.

• Stayed January 2015
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The room conditions you described are unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To uphold our company’s high standards, I am retraining my team to ensure that the issues you found in your room do not happen again in the future. I will also make sure our staff inspects rooms thoroughly prior to guest arrivals. Additionally, we do not tolerate the use of illegal substances at our property. I will be working with our security staff to make sure our hotel policies are enforced and handled in an appropriate manner. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at CDG@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

Excellent customer service and clean rooms. Definetly a good value! Only issue was non-functioning alarm clock and front desk scheduled wake-up call that I did not receive. Didn't partake in the breakfast so I can't rate it.
I would stay again and bring my own alarm clock

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Bellwood, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2014

The front desk staff was extremely nice and attentive to the guest, however the hotel needed some updating. The kitchen area is really too small to cook for a family due to only two burners and they were so close to the wall it was not good for cooking. The kitchen area needs to be updated like some of the newer locations. The sink was in need of repair. It was rusted, faucets were coming off and trimming was falling off. If they did an upgrade it would be great.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a place to cook for a family this is not the place.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Downers Grove, responded to this review, December 2, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to know that we were able to provide you with such good guest service. Still, please accept our apologies that some of the items in your room were in need of repair or replacement. Your feedback on these items will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.
Wheaton, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

I was foreclosed/evicted from my home at the beginning of September. I was able to stay at my mother's place, but that was very time limited. While at my mom's, I began my search for an extended term residence. I found a couple that were too expensive. I also found several hotels, but they were all booked. Not the best time of year for my search. I managed to find ESA that had an opening but not for several days. I was referred to Downers Grove ESA and had success with an available room that day at a reasonable rate. I stayed at ESA in Downers Grove from September 8 through October 8. I was very comfortable, and the staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. Yes, not everything was perfect, but overall, I felt had everything that I needed. The Queen bed was awesome. The manager, Nicole, assisted me by connecting me with the company from where I could purchase the exact same bed. The shower was also awesome. I received the shower head that I fell in love with today from Amazon. Maria assisted me with coordinating my receiving faxes that were important for me to rent a residence. All of the staff were helpful, courteous and kind. They were all more than willing to do whatever was necessary to make my stay enjoyable. I highly recommend ESA in Downers Grove to those that require more than just a hotel room.

Room Tip: Third floor for all who smoke - North side has a good view.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Downers Grove, responded to this review, October 14, 2014
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such great things about staff. I am proud of our team for providing you with great guest service. We are so pleased to have provided you with an affordable and comfortable place to stay in your time of need. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Downers Grove? Share your experiences!