“The absolute shame to the Hilton hotels” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove

You added Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove to your Saves list
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2111 Butterfield Road, Downers Grove, IL 60515   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special: WiFi Included!
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Downers Grove, Illinois
“The absolute shame to the Hilton hotels”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I'm a Diamond member with the Hilton Group and as a result of that I usually get decent upgrades and perks when I try to stay at any of the Hilton hotels. The Double Tree in Downers Grove looked unsanitary, my iron did not work, half of the towels in the bathroom had colorful spots of them, the AC/heating unit was unbelievably loud to the point it would wake me up at nights and the best of all, THEY CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD EVERY NIGHT FOR THAT DAY. Obviously this hotel is having some serious financial issues and that's why they need every dime on DAILY BASIS. As a result of constant similar charges, two of my credit cards were disabled by my credit card companies assuming that there were fraudulent activities and charges are being made. There are many other reputable hotels in this area. AVOID THIS ONE!!! Hilton should take their franchise away!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Normally stay someplace else when traveling but decided to try the Doubletree as the other hotel was getting "tired." Generally liked this Doubletree better. The bed was much more comfortable. The TV's are old tube style, and the channel selection is very limited so that is a negative - hope that gets upgraded. Had no difficulty with WIFI in the room which was nice. The breakfast buffet is much more robust, and less expensive, than my usual location. The room would be a bit cramped for two people for a long stay, but for one person on business travel it was just right.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Really liked this hotel. The suites are simple yet well kept. The food was good & sleep quality great. Didn't have time to visit the restaurant but that too looked great.
Will be a good place for business visitors.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are huge as every room is a suite with a separate living room. Some of the decor is dated and the TVs are old with the huge backs. Too bad they weren't flat screens. Bathrooms are tiny and need updating. It was hard to open/close shower door. Beds were very comfortable and clear. Nice to be greeted with a warm cookie. But the breakfast is about $14 and not that great.

• Stayed January 2012
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I am a Diamond status business traveler and I travel all over the country staying at a variety of the Hilton Brand Hotels. Hands down, Kimberly, Yvonne and Sharon are the best hotel staff that I have encountered time and time again. They remember guests names and preferences and constantly make their guest feel welcome. I must admit, I tend to go to their line when checking in even if it means waiting a couple minutes more. They all deserve Gold standards for providing 4Star quality.

Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

1) The biggest problem with this hotel is its layout. All rooms face The atrium area on the second floor, making a tall donut shape building. It is very loud. Having a double door with glass (with a curtain) did not help reduce the noise at all. My room was on the 4th floor. There were people gathering at the atrium at 11pm and was not able to fall asleep until past 1am because of the noise. Then, at 5am, I was awaken by the noise of the hotel staff preparing for the breakfast which starts at 7am.
2) They were unable to give us the room I reserved. We were family of four and reserved 2 double beds and a pull out sofa bed. Instead, they gave us a 1 king plus pull out sofa bed. The sofa bed mattress sort of made a mild V-shape that it was very uncomfortable for 2 people to sleep on.
3) I started wheezing after few minutes of being in the bedroom. I have only experienced wheezing 3 times in my life time and this happened to be one of them. I had to use my son's asthma medication during the stay. I was not able to change the hotel due to being there as a part of a group (my sons' sports team).
4) No free Wi-Fi for the hotel guests. We were told that we have to pay additional fees to use their Wi-Fi connections. Unheard of:(
5) The elevators were the slowest elevators of all I have experienced. There were kids monopolizing the elevators and I waited 5 minutes for one to arrive on the average and the staff failed to control the situation.
6) There were no clean towels left in the pool. Jacuzzi was down with plywood all propped up.
7) House keeping did not bother to give us enough toilet paper. I had to request some.
8) My son went down to get some breakfast and brought it back to the room to eat because there were no clean table available at the breakfast area. When he went to get some more food, he was requested for another breakfast voucher. He had already given his for that day on the 1st trip and was not allowed to get seconds. He was wearing the team uniform.
9) Horrible room service... No one answers the phone. When finally got a hold of someone, they said 1 hour for a pizza:(

I used to like Doubletree. Not anymore. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

This hotel used to be the the Radisson Suites hotel many years ago. At that time it was an amazing hotel. Top service, beautiful rooms, and everything was shiny new. But sadly this place has not been kept up and is slowly deteriorating. Each time I come back here I grow sadder at the state of this hotel.

The hot tub was out of service. To be fair, Doubletree was very clear about this on the website when we booked it. What was most disappointing was that apparently it's been out of service for many months. And there is no date in sight when it will be fixed. The pool elevator was also out of service during my stay. I'm pretty sure it was broken the last time I stayed here about a year ago too.

The decor of the hotel is very outdated. Dark interior. Old patterns. Tube style TVs with extremely poor reception and unexplainable channels. Probably 10 of the channels worked a small percentage of the time and the rest of the time were not watchable. The TVs had ghostly shadows on many of the other channels or lines across the top of the screen. Interestingly enough some of the reviews from early this year had replies from a manager claiming the hotel will be renovating their TVs in July/August 2011. Well it's December 31, 2011 and it obviously wasn't done.

Comfort of the room is average. The beds are small double beds and not very comfortable for a nights sleep. Rooms are large suite type rooms with a sofa sleeper/living area. But bathrooms are very small as mentioned by other reviewers. The room was well cleaned. And the maids noticed my son used his own blanket and pillow on his bed, so when they made up the room they made the bed using his linens instead of replacing them with the hotel linens. That was a nice touch and very observant.

Our room had a large picture window which was nice, but the entire wood surface beneath it was badly stained. So was the facade of the hotel on the outside. It looked in desperate need of a cleaning. There are dark moldy stains all down the building.

Hotel staff was very friendly. Everyone smiled and was very pleasant. While I didn't need anything additional I have little doubt they would have accommodated me if I had asked. The hotel seemed to be mostly vacant the whole week. Not sure if that's just the holidays or if people are starting to avoid the hotel.

I sure hope they start putting some effort into this hotel. It would be sad to see the place where we had my wedding reception some 20 years ago fall into oblivion.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
dtechman, Director of Sales at Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. The hotel has begun its renovation at the end of December 2011 and ALL of the issues you mention are being addressed during this work. We are spending several million dollars to replace the TV's, upgrade the channels and picture to hi-def, clean the outside of the building, and many other improvements too numerous to mention! Some of this work was delayed due to items coming from the manufacturer being delayed but I can assure you we will be better than every when all is done!

The hotel was slow (as were all the hotels in the area) the week you stayed with us. 2011 was a very strong year for the hotel and 2012 is expected to be even better so there is nothing "down hill" about our businss levels, rest assured!

We hope you will return when the work is completed and we look forward to hearing about your future stays!

Been to Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove

Address: 2111 Butterfield Road, Downers Grove, IL 60515
Location: United States > Illinois > DuPage County > Downers Grove
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove 3.5*
The Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago-Downers Grove is situated in Chicago's western suburbs next to Lombard and Oakbrook, Illinois. Centrally located between Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) and Chicago Midway (MDW) the Doubletree Suites Downers Grove is the perfect choice for business meetings. Offering an International Association of Conference Center (IACC) approved meeting facility, our comfortable surroundings and exceptional catering team provide the ultimate environment for any business or social occasion. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Hilton Hotels, getaroom.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree Guest Suites And Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Doubletree Guest Suites & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove Hotel
Doubletree Downers Grove
Doubletree Chicago Downer Grove

If you own or manage Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.