“Reasonable prices, average breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Reasonable prices, average breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

This hotel has recently been remodeled with new furniture, carpeting & large flat TV screens. Their prices are reasonable compared to the other hotels in the area. However, their hot breakfasts leave a lot to be desired. White gravy over biscuits is what is usually served. Once in awhile, they will serve scrambled eggs & sausage patties. Apples, bananas & cupcakes are also available, as well as orange juice, milk & coffee. The hotel is conveniently located near I-355 & a 1/2 hr. drive to downtown Chicago, depending on the traffic. There are 2 big shopping malls near the hotel (Yorktown & Oak Brook Center).

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the heavy traffic on I-355 & Butterfield Rd.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boone, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

The room was comfortable and well stocked. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who is coming to Chicago.
Every issuse I've seen in the other reviews has been fixed and I have had an amazingly pleasant stay every time I come here

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Valparaiso, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

The front desk staff make you welcomed. Every aspect of our stay was wonderful. I love the renovated rooms. Very updated and clean. I will stay here on all future visits to my training sessions in downers grove!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Savannah, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

This hotel is actually pretty nice compared to some of the other hotels we stayed at. It is clean, except housekeeping doesn't seem to clean the sink area enough as it should (faucet and handle). But housekeeping is friendly and they are nice at coming at reasonable times of the day. The design of the room is nice, but they put the pictures in the wrong place (the small pictures are supposed to be by the doorway and the large pictures are supposed to be over the desk, they had this in the opposite way). The beds are very comfy with large fluffy pillows and comforter. furniture looks new. Water pressure and temperature were good. The internet was good, but you have to check your room key pouch for the username and password. The directory that was left for us in the room was not up to date. It said you didn't need a username or password for internet (not true), the order inn room service menu had incorrect times on it (said it was open until 10 pm when it closed earlier). The tv only had like 10 channels and most of them you couldn't see because it was such poor reception. The only news channel that got reception was Fox News (roll of the eyes)….but quite frankly I think all news channels suck nowadays so whatever. This trip made me realize how much Showtime sucks now compared to decades ago when I last saw it. wow, what crap! If you are a hotel looking to find a cable package deal, be sure to choose HBO instead of Showtime. This hotel had an HDTV, but didn't get HD. They use coaxial instead of component or HDMI cable. Probably because they don't have cable subscription. they use some sort of digital tuner or something because it seems like they only have 5 basic channels except for showtime. no refrigerator. no microwave. even though we requested these things. so I just let my food sit out and then let the room get lots of fruit flies. If I kept the room cold enough the food didn't spoil. The hotel needs more employees to work at the desk because several times I called the desk and there was only one person so they couldn't come upstairs and bring anything. We all had to go downstairs to get towels or anything else.

The hotel was very quiet which was nice for me because I needed rest.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Naperville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

I stayed at the hotel while my new home was finished being renovated for two weeks. During that time roaches were in my room and my dog was infested with a horrific flea. The management is awful. I'd highly ENCOURAGE AGAINST STAYING AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

I wanted to like it here but I had an odd experience over Labor Day weekend. Needed a hotel last minute because I was sick and couldn't drive back intot he city. At first glance, our room was clean with a nice king bed and clean bathroom. The front desk girl who checked us in was very friendly.

However, we quickly learned that the phone in our room didn't work. It was completely dead when I tried to call downstairs to ask for an extra blanket. So I went downstairs to ask for a blanket at the front desk. The front desk girl was apparently the only person working there and so she walked me over to the laundry room (in her socks with no shoes) and started looking through bags of laundry to find a blanket. She handed me a large plastic bag and said it contained a comforter. I got upstairs and looked inside the bag and it was a bunch of pillows. I tried to laugh this off since it was just so strange. I gave up on going back downstairs. When I got back to the room I found that WIFI was not working at all. They say they give you free WIFI but the code didn't work and we couldn't get any Internet. Lastly, the TV only offers about 10 stations, and that's not an exaggeration.

So in summary, if you need a very basic, bare-bones place to stay and you don't need Internet, or anyone to help you with an extra blanket or pillow, and you don't need to watch much TV, and you don't care if your room phone doesn't work, then this place will work fine for you. I'm used to somewhat higher standards when I travel so it was not a good option for me. I've had better stays at cheaper hotels.

Room Tip: Ask them if the wifi is working, if you need wifi.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We had booked our stay in advance for labor day weekend because we had a long drive to Chicago. We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 pm only to find out they had given our room away and were overbooked. Instead of honoring choice hotel's policy to find us a place to stay that they would pay for, the management denied the policy and did nothing. 3 other families experienced the same problem. Thankfully our daughter lived nearby and I could sleep on the floor.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Downers Grove? Share your experiences!