“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

I really liked this hotel. It is very clean, has plenty of room to move around in! Our stay was very quiet and I love the fact that it is smoke free! Beds are so comfortable! Great location not too far from anything in Chicago without having to pay to park! I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott Suites this past weekend and had a great experience. I had called the hotel a few times the week before arriving to request an early check-in time. The people at the desk when I called were very helpful and nice. At check-in, the lady was very friendly and had a room ready for me immediately. The suites were very clean and nice and the bed was absolutely incredible! The room was a nice size with a refrigerator and microwave. The sleeping area was separate and had its own television. I also loved the fact that the hotel, even the bar, is all non-smoking. I didn't use the pool, but the bar and bartender were very nice. The hotel is in a great location. It is very close to good restaurants and Oakbrook Center. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again. In fact, I'm very much looking forward to it!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

Decent hotel but nothing special. The best thing it has to offer is the room size; big suites with a seperate bedroom but they could use an update. The carpet in my room had a big black stain but overall the room was clean. Serious need for better weights in the workout facility and it's small and cramped with all the cardio equipment. Other positives; free coffee in the lobby in the morning and no parking charge.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

I stayed at Marriotts Downers Grove this month for a total of 3 nights. I was attending training nearby and this hotel was one of the preferred area hotels provided by the training service.

The hotel is located 20 - 30 mins away from Chicago O'Hare and off a main highway in an office park area. There are a few restaurants located within walking distance (Fuddruckers, an American grill-type, and a Brazillian churrasco). Further up the street there are more restaurants such as Subway and Ruby Tuesday. For the techies among us, there's a Fry's Electronics across the street. Basically even it you don't have a car available, there's plenty of restaurant choices if you want to venture outside of the hotel restaurant.

From the outside, it looks very unassuming: a brown box (6 or 7 stories tall) but once inside, the hotel appeared to have been updated or remodeled recently. The lobby area was bright and clean. There's a very (very) small hotel store in case you need to buy toiletries or soda. The check-in process was quick, I was handed my room card, and in a few minutes I was in my room.

The hotel room was laid out into three portions: a living room area, a bathroom area, and a bedroom area. Each area had doors to close off from the other areas if needed. I found the room to be very clean and overall comfortable, based upon my experience with other hotels I've been on for business trips. The living room had a work desk with broadband connection. The desk chair was very comfortable to work in. There's also a sofa and sitting chair if you wanted to watch TV. The bed was comfortable and clean. There was no visible wear and tear in the room that I could see nor any stale room air or offensive odors.

I had one breakfast and one dinner at the hotel restaurant. While not exceptional, it wasn't bad either. The restaurant staff were prompt and courteous.

I did not try out the bar, pool, or any other facilities while I was there.

Overall, a good experience due to the cleanliness and location.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Middleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2006

I stayed in a one bedroom suite for five nights while in the area for training.

Pros: it's tucked away off the main drag in an office park, there is ample parking, the desk staff is nice, the bed is comfortable, and the elevators are fast. It seems to be a safe area, and I was able to park my car under a lightpost and in view of my hotel room. With that said, it's 1/2 mile from I-355 and I-88 exits, and along Butterfield Road which has tons of restaurants and shopping. It's a great location.

Cons: the unit I am in (1 BR suite) is a bit small and has a poor layout - the living room is useless. There is a very small refrigerator, big enough for a couple half gallons of milk and last night's leftovers and that's all. I was hoping for a microwave but there was none. Also the room got stuffy and I had to turn the fan on continuous high to have any air movement in the room, and that was rather loud. The bathroom is quite small. My pet peeve was that for some reason the outlets on the computer/work desk are on a switched outlet and the housekeeping staff switched it off every single day!

Indifference: I did not have the time to try out the pool, fitness area, or hotel restaurant.

This was a comfortable stay and I would probably stay here again. However if I was travelling with anyone else, I'd look for something bigger, and for stays of more than a night or so, a room with basic kitchen facilities, or at least a microwave, would be nice.

• Liked — Convenient and safe location
  • Disliked — Smallish room, no kitchen facilities, hi-speed internet was slow
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Freeport, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

We usually stay in a fancier Oakbrook hotel but couldn't get a room. After researching and recommendations we stayed here with two kids. Very nice and clean hotel and good-sized suites. The bed had a down comforter and extremely comfortable. The staff was very attentive. There wasn't the usual business crowd of the weekdays, and we saw lots of families. There's lots of restaurants and shops in the nearby area. The kids enjoyed being in their own "room". The indoor/outdoor pool was good sized. There's a hot tub, men and women's individual sauna and a workout room. The hotel is easily accessible to the interstate and major roads. We would stay there again with the kids.

• Stayed March 2006
Indiana - USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Mariott Suites Downer's Grove for a Friday evening prior to a certification exam on Saturday (also held at the hotel). I could not have asked for a better, more comfortable stay prior to an important and nerve-wracking exam.

The room - a small King suite - was clean and well maintained. Somehow they made a relatively small room seem much larger by separating the bedroom from the living area. We chose room service for breakfast, which we easily ordered the night before. The food wasn't bad - but a little pricey for what you got. My milk was lukewarm and my eggs were cold :-(

Despite being a very full hotel that night, we slept peacefully and in comfort. The hotel is close to many shopping areas and eateries and is simple to find. Quick checkout was offered and it was a breeze to finalize the bill. I recommend this hotel for those visiting the Chicago area but loathe to stay in the busy areas near downtown. Seems to be family-friendly and has a restaurant on site.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Been to Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove? Share your experiences!