“A great Raw Vegan option” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 147 Restaurants in Downers Grove
Cuisines: Vegan
PedEye1
“A great Raw Vegan option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

There aren't many comparable restaurant options in suburbia, or even in the entire metropolitan area, truthfully. Nuts are used liberally as faux dairy and meats. I've never had a bad meal or even dish at Borrowed Earth. But you kind of have to be in the mood for a raw vegan meal. The owners are genuine, and I really want this place to do well, even though I will only dine here myself occasionally.

Visited May 2012

Westmont, Illinois
“Unaccptible treatment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The food was just o.k. There are so many RAW food restaurants that are outstanding - do not waste your time here - especially the way they treat customers. Neither owner welcomed us or could even break a smile. They were all very rude. When asked to repeat things they acted as if we were not worth the time. The cost is higher than said on the page - no entrees were lower than about $19 and everything else was about $9.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Delicious Raw Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I go out of my way to make it to this raw vegan restaurant regularly. I often meet a friend or bring my daughter who loves their "Banana Split," yes, for lunch, all organic and no added sugars. I love everything on the menu and have a tough time selecting, from the starters to the entrees and the oh too yummy desserts, you must make this a favorite spot. The owners, Danny & Kathy Living, are very knowledgable and helpful when it comes to eating raw. As Hippocrates said, "Let food be your medicine."

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlotte, North Carolina
“High Quality Raw Vegan - a great introduction and a great way to keep upgrading your diet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I ate at Borrowed Earth during a trip to Chicago. We drove out to Downers Grove to see Kathy, a high school class mate, and her husband, Danny. She owns the place. He washes the dishes. :) Kathy waits on everyone in the place , which is why she is so knowledgeable - she creates the food and then can tell you all about it.

Although I know Kathy, I don't think this review is biased. I had been looking forward to eating in her restaurant for a long time. I've been upgrading my diet and that of my family and I was curious to see the inventive ways that Kathy works with vegan ingredients to create exciting dishes. I was so delighted. My husband and I had the two specials, which I photographed and attached here. The portions are large and satisfying, although I admit we also had dessert, which is a wonderful and regular treat in the raw and vegan diet.

Try this place out and talk Kathy up. Or go sit at the counter and chat with Danny. Both are incredibly knowledgeable and will teach you anything about improving your diet and feeling great. But they aren't vigilantes about their passion. They love working with their customers and it shows. And they love creating delicious food.

After eating at Borrowed Earth, I think it is going to be hard to find veg*n offerings that meet these standards. I know they don't exist in my home town.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Try Something different and Yummy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

This is a great find. The food is excellent and it's vegan, raw, and almost entirely gluten free! It was so creative and tasty. I had the "baked" spaghetti special. Wonderful. And the side salads were very good too. Others with me had the falafala and the "hamburger." the service was good with excellent knowledge of each dish and ingredients. the casual and quiet atmosphere was a nice break from the norm. We will definitely go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere