“Awesome food and great service!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Illinois
“Awesome food and great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently attended a rehearsal dinner in the lower level banquet room. The food was great and the servers were fast and friendly. I can't wait to take my parents here when they come home from TN.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent food and atmosphere! Go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Stopped on way from Iowa to Chicago. What a wonderful surprise! Hidden gem! Delicious food especially the creme brulee for dessert. Worth the trip!

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Worth the 104 Mile Drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had the chance to visit Dixon, Illinois mid-week to see some of tourist attractions. While I was down by the river I asked a fisherman where was a good place to eat and he recommended Basil Tree Ristorante. He couldn't remember the name of the place, but he said : "Its up the heel" (hill).

I decided to try it out.

The building is ancient and has had many tenants an businesses throughout its life. Entrance is through a beautiful hardwood door. The atmosphere is very dim inside. Too dark to get a decent picture without using the flash. The interior decor looks fabulous. I didn't hear any piped in music playing the night I dined here.

The night I was there, there were two waiters and one waitress working.

I ordered a 7/7, Minestrone Soup, Steak and potato. A bread basket was also brought out. I had the Tiramisu (cake) for desert.

The bread was fresh and served hot.
The drink wasn't too strong, but not to weak either...just right.
The soup was good and served piping hot.
The NY Steak I ordered medium well and it was prepared to my liking, and it tasted out of this world. Very soft & tender and juicy. It was seasoned just right.

It is without a doubt the second best steak I've ever eaten.

The desert was very tastey..

Service was good, and the portions were not rushed out of the kitchen. Overall I think I was there about 75 minutes, perhaps? My bill came to around $42.00

There is no parking lot, but there is plenty of (free -no meters) street parking to be had.

I would definately eat here again If I am ever in Dixon or passing by on I-88.

• Visited July 2013
Dixon, Illinois, United States
“Homemade pasta, succulent veal. superb sauces and an adept mixologist at the bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I live in Dixon and am so happy that there is at least one restaurant here that features fine dining, in the style of Chicago. The decor is unrestrained with some brave and lively touches with subdued lighting and view of the Rock River to create a friendly, relaxed yet upscale ambiance. The veal or chicken Marsala are expertly prepared according to an old family recipe. The veal Francesca is breaded and bathed in a perfect limone sauce that is as good as any I've ever had. The meat is almost sweet and can be cut with a butter knife. The salads are loaded with fresh veggies and a piquant house dressing that really makes the grade! The bread is addicting. An impressive array of homemade pastas demonstrate that the proprietors have their priorities in order. Yum! No, make that a double-Yum -- God, it's good. Smart, attentive, genuinely friendly staff who are free of any pretentiousness. All have been there a long time, which really says something. Carry-out is easy and quite prompt. The Basil Tree is unlike any other place in town, in a class all by itself. Bravo!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sterling, Illinois
“A Great Italian Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants!! It is a real find in a relatively small city like Dixon. I've eaten in many Italian restaurants, but honestly, none better. While I think it best to plan on spending more like $15-20 per person, it is well worth it. The service is a good as the food as one is treated like the most important guest of the night. It is little more than 10 minutes north of the Interstate 88 exchange, so if you're driving by while en route to or from Chicago and the west, be sure to stop in. Buon appetito!

• Visited February 2013