“Good prices, clean, but amenities a bit scarce” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SAVE 15% TODAY!
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Des Plaines
Marion, Iowa
“Good prices, clean, but amenities a bit scarce”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The price was right consider most other places nearby were over $100 a night. The hotel has been renovated and the rooms were nice and clean. They say they serve breakfast but I have to agree with another review that it was a bit of overstatement, it just had coffee, a scant selection of some muffins, granola bars and a basic fruit bowl. Nothing that really would satisfy me on a morning breakfast. No juice, water, cereal, milk etc like you would see at a Hampton Inn for example so that was a bit dissapointing. Additionally no shampoo/ conditioner were provided just bars of soap. The hotel shuttle was confusing too. You had to call another hotel that was very hard to reach during peak periods and be forewarned you had to call and schedule an hour before it leaves, they leave on the hour between 5 and 10pm. If you arrive during peak times also be aware that they could be slow. I had arrived after 9pm on a flight to OHare and was told the shuttle would be there in 20 minutes, Shuttle never did arrive finally nearly two hours later the hotel called us a taxi so that was very frustrating. The stay overall was good once we ironed out the shuttle issue and the staff was nice, we were only there for a place to sleep as we were off to the city to explore anyways. Just be aware of some of the small things that you enjoy at other hotels you may not get them here.

Room Tip: all rooms have recently been remodeled. I would ask for a higher numbered room as rooms that had a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - O'Hare - North, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are glad to hear that our staff provided you with quality service and that you enjoyed our location; however, we apologize for the odor in your room. We will be addressing this issue with our housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again soon.
Ann Arbor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I specifically requested a non-smoking room, due to allergies. We were given a smoking room, which caused another guest, and I, to have horrible breathing issues, all weekend - they did not bother to mention we were getting a smoking room, or why.

Only one of the three bedside lamps worked, which was very frustrating.

The beds were so hard, they caused me to have back spasms, the one night I slept in one. The rest of the weekend, I slept on an air mattress, and had no issues.

The keys deactivate when not activated all together (this is a safety precaution, and I appreciate that), but no one told us. This resulted in one of my guests getting locked out of the hotel, in the middle of the night.

I don't know when soap, shampoo, conditioner, and housekeeping stopped being standard, but I feel these are cheap (cost-wise) amenities that have been discontinued.

The en suite kitchen was convenient, but it was about the only good part of the room. Because of the angle of the pictures, I thought the room was about 3 feet wider than it really was (the room was decently sized, but it made for a little more of a squeeze than I was intending). The fact that parking is free was also nice. The staff were very friendly, I did like the people who worked the counter.

All in all, I will not stay in an Extended Stay again. I have had much better experiences, in much cheaper hotels. For $110/night, I expected a little more.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
North Haven, CT, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel lacks a lot of attention to detail. The word breakfast is a overstatement of the basic fruit bowl provided. Additionally no shampoo/ conditioner were provided during my stay, nor were they available.

The hotel shuttle was a confusing mess. You had to call another hotel that was very hard to reach during peak periods.

You may need ground transportation as there are very few sideways near the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Antwerpen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I had to be in Chicago the day before I left back home. Flight was to early to drive in on same day. Stayed at Extended Stay. Was very pleased with location, looks and cleanliness of this hotel. Check in was easy and check out also. Grab and Go breakfast was appreciated. Very pleased with the staff. Will go back if needed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - O'Hare - North, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Rooms look almost identical to online pictures. Entire room was very tidy. Reserving online was easy, check-in was easy. Close to my workshop and restaurants and shopping but no to few sidewalks so I had to cross the roads carefully. Free shuttle to airport was useful for catching L Train downtown. Staff didn't have any tourist info which I found strange. Breakfast was a bit pathetic. Rooms have fridges and toasters so seeing some useful items (or healthy options) would have been nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - O'Hare - North, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Victoria - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens and convenient location at a great value. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Very Rude! They do not care about customer service!
This is a very low class hotel due to customer service. I called the hotel and a male fronts desk personnel hanged up the phone on me when I was asking information regarding the full address of the hotel after I've been waiting for almost 10 minutes in the phone. I called again! Another 10 mins waiting! The answer service personnel (Nichole) was also rude. She raised her voice and told me to call later! I requested to speak to the supervisor and she denied to transfer me to the supervisor! I was asking a very simple question regarding the full address of the hotel and instead I received a rude behavior from this hotel. I travel a lot! and I never received this kind of bad experience regarding a hotel's customer service.
I let them know that I will post a review regarding the way that customer service of Extended Stay Hotel - O'hare treats their guests.
if you want a better hotel service in every aspect then it is better to stay away from this hotel. You pay for a good service must not for a bad one!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - O'Hare - North, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Vivian - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the level of professionalism displayed by some members of our staff. Please know, I will meet with our entire staff to review our customer service policies and guest protocol so that this issue does not affect our future guests. If you would like to provide any additional feedback, please feel free to contact me directly at, cho@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Plaines
Radisson Hotel Chicago O'Hare
#2 of 10 in Des Plaines
4.0 of 5 stars 529 reviews
Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - O'Hare - North? Share your experiences!