“Still Bothered” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn O'Hare to your Saves list
Comfort Inn O'Hare
Comfort Inn O'Hare
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2175 E. Touhy Ave., Des Plaines, IL 60018 (Formerly Days Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Des Plaines
Grand Marais, Minnesota
“Still Bothered”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed here in January for 5 nights. I travel a lot during the winter on business. I booked with the hotel because I was an exhibitor at the Chicago Sports Show and had received a flyer from the hotel advertising a shuttle to both the airport and the convention center and an on site restaurant with room service. The shuttle service was very adequate but I was sorely disappointed with my experience with the restaurant. The first night I arrived and checked-in I was told that the restaurant would be closing in a few minutes(it was 9:50 pm). I was a bit confused since the advertisement said I could get food till 11 pm. I called the restaurant and was told that they were closing everything for the evening but they would still allow me to get an order in. Gratefully I went over at 10 pm to pick up my order. I had ordered a chicken sandwich. I was told it came with a roll, a cup of soup and I chose coleslaw as my side. When I got back to the room I found a sandwich and no sides or soup. I figured this was an honest mistake, I own a lodge and restaurant myself and know mistakes can happen particularly around closing. I was bothered by not receiving what I had ordered, but not enough to make a big deal about it.

The next night I went over at 8:05 pm when the shuttle brought us back from the convention center and had a nice meal. Very filling and very tasty. No complaints. However, on the third night I went over to Tiffany's to eat at 8:05 pm and was told that all meal service was finished for the night. I was not allowed to order anything. I found this to be fairly upsetting and a direct contradiction to the email advertising a restaurant on-site with late room service. This is greatly disturbing to me and will weigh heavily on my choice of where to stay next year when I come to Chicago for the 2013 show. When I went back to the desk to ask about the restaurant's hours and the email that I had originally been sent I was told that I had misread the email and that hours were clearly stated. I retrieved original email and could see that it clearly did not post seating hours and says room service till 11 pm. Then I asked what options I had to eat and was told that the nearest place to eat was IHOP or Chili's, about a mile away. I informed the young lady at the desk that I didn't have a car to drive, she told me I would need to take a taxi. I ended up ordering a pizza and chose to not eat at the restaurant the last 2 nights if it was open(I didn't check to see if it was open).

The room was fair, typical of an older hotel with lower rates. My room was clean, I don't have an issue with the rooms. I travel a lot on business and don't get too upset with hotels that I am paying less than average rates for. But false advertising and poor service is something that really bothers me. There were other patrons who were also staying at the hotel because they were exhibitors at the show, when I asked them about their experiences at the restaurant they also were frustrated with the false premise of food being available till late. Once person commented that if you are going to target a group then you should accommodate that groups schedule(show didn't end till 8 pm).

I was so bothered by this that I took time to write a letter to the management of the hotel and voice my complaints. I received a follow up phone call from the manager and then a call from the Comfort Inn Management Company. Their response was to offer me 15% off a one night stay in the future. 5 nights, multiple problems, and they expect me to return for a 10 dollar discount? I will be in Chicago again for business but will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here 1 night for a park and fly. This is an older property, and it shows. The rooms and common areas are dated and threadbare in some areas. However the bed was ok, the room functional, front desk people were nice, and the old beat-up shuttle van got us to the airport and back. Nothing special about this hotel, but it was serviceable for our needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This place was fine for an over-night of stopping late and leaving early. The price was right and our room (162) and hallway were clean. The front desk folks were kind and patient as I struggled to check-in after working a full day and then driving 7 hours. The decor is outdated - think like the late 1960's early 70's - but it was easy to get to off the highway and in decent proximity to O'Hare and other NW side locales.

The king bed room was furnished with a desk & chair and an easy chair, microwave, fridge & coffee maker. WiFi was great even this far from the front desk. Walked right out our door and out the end of the building for the parking lot and for the restaurant next door,

Don't expect the Ritz for these prices in Chicago. Do check out the restaurant across the parking lot. Tiffany's" where they served us late dinner and the breakfast menu looked great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I am a frequent guest here because of my work...the second floor ice machine has been broken for 2 yrs with no end in sight...the wireless is spotty at best and the owners are slow to do any repairs..

• Stayed September 2012
Middleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was so impressed as the price was great, the staff very helpful, the Hotel was clean and very centrally located, and great for girlfriends on a weekend shopping trip! You're less that 10 minutes to the Park Ridge train station so you don't have to waste a lot of money on parking downtown and the schedule is great.
No, it's not the Ritz but it's wonderful for the price and room was just fine. I saved so much on the Hotel costs that I was able to stay an extra night and go shopping at Ikea on my way out of town. Close to the new Casino and airport.

Room Tip: Rooms on the parking lot side are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Mishawaka, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Very comfortable, clean, nice and friendly hotel near airport, great park and fly spot, also near casino and good restaurant next door. The mattress was excellent, very comfortable, and the rooms clean. The staff was very friendly, and the shuttle to the airport was excellent, on time and great service. Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
zuerich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed here because of a canceled flight with us airways. The van from the hotel was dented and quite used and old inside. As I entered the lobby, one could smell some kind of cleaner but the front desk receptionist was very friendly and kind. She had no problem changing my room because I didn't want to to be on the 1st floor. The hotel has kind of a seventies style to it and clean but not well kept up in terms of painting, etc. The door to my room and the door to the bathroom were quite chipped and needed badly to be painted. However, the room itself was fine and not rough looking at all. The TV was flat screen with a nice refrigerator. Another problem was that to use the bathroom one had to close the door and then sit down because it was the distance was to short between the toilet and the door to close it after sitting down. The shower was very clean as was the sink and surrounding area, again with the seventies decor. Both of the shuttle drivers that I encountered were very punctual and very kind. During the night there was a group of teenagers whose flight was canceled. They refused to listen to anyone (and didn't understand english) and were up until at least 1:30 making alot of noise. The receptionist tried his best to quiet them down and I told them as well a couple of times. He asked me as well if I wanted to change rooms, but it was too late and I fortunately had brought ear plugs with me.

If they renovate this hotel, it will be fantastic. The front desk is uncomplicated and great and the shuttle drivers are very kind, punctual and helpful. It is also very clean even though it smells of cleanser in the halls.
lo

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn O'Hare? Share your experiences!