“not for big parties” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“not for big parties”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a terrible experience here over the Labor Day weekend. Nearly 30 guests stayed there for our wedding reception, which was at a restaurant across the street, and I think half of them had some sort of a bad experience, from long lines at check-in, to double booked rooms, to phantom charges. I felt horrible that my guests had to deal with all of that. Plus, for 70$ a night, I would expect a bottle of shampoo and conditioner at the very least.
On the positive note, our room was clean, otherwise, would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Onalaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was nothing short of disgusting! When we walked into the room we were taken aback by the strong smell of stale cigarette smoke, some fresh as well I believe. Either way we put our luggage back into the car so that our clothing did not stink in the morning. We checked in really late so finding a different hotel was not really an option for us. Upon climbing in bed I found several long hairs, not mine, on both the pillow and the sheets. I am assuming the maid needed a nap?!? The GFI outlet by the sink did not work, the lighting above the sink was constantly flickering, and my husband found an empty peanut jar under one of the beds. The one thing I am grateful for is that my husband knows me well enough that if he had told me he found a large, dead, roach-like bug under the AC unit that I would have demanded we sleep in the car. Thankfully he waited until we checked out to share that little tidbit with me. The lady at the desk said she would have the manager call me but I am not holding out hope.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Arrived at the hotel after 1 AM after a drive from Ohio and walking around downtown Chicago for a few hours. My boyfriend and I passed out on the bed within 30 minutes of being in the room and didn't look around. When we woke up I noticed a cup by the sink that had leaf looking product in it. It turned out to be marijuana which was also on the floor and a little on the counter. We reported this to the staff and they assured us they would take care of the aforementioned drug and have the manager contact us once he had came in and they could fill him in on the situation. We stayed at the hotel on a Friday night and I waited until Monday afternoon to take matters into my own hands and contact the manager. The manager acted as if me informing him of our encounter was the first time he had heard it and was appalled at the fact that we felt we should be refunded for having slept in a dirty room that contained illegal drugs in it. I am very displeased with not only the presentation of this hotel, but more importantly the professionalism of the staff and manager. I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone. As for anyone who does stay here I hope that you don't have a problem or complaint because with such a serious situation as the one I presented, the staff and manager did not seem to care. Not even one apology was given to us and I am very disgusted with the whole situation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed one night. The room was clean, basic and older. The building was a little rough around the edges. Good price. The personnel at check in and check out were pleasant.No complaints....it served its purpose.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
any town usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Franchise; privately owned since 2011

Spacious lobby with flat screen TV, but checked in guests asked to leave no (loitering) no chatting up the staff. Security cameras installed beyond entrances points more like a department store.

Pet friendly but at what cost;
One woman, a breeder passing through stays with 10 + puppies in her room and takes over the sidewalk and grass in front of her room with fencing, no special rooms for pet guests, so no extra cleaning of those rooms at checkout. Elevator carpeting old and smells of Uren, dog poop all over grass and open space surrounding parking lot and walk area to mall no rule in place to pick up your dogs waste.

Free internet;
Wi-Fi, must log in but kicked off every 8 hours, no bandwidth for streaming, you tube and online games ect.

Phone;
Guest phone calls are not put through due to security and no messages are relayed that someone has called.

Hot Water;
They cannot seem to decide want the right temperature is for the shower so right knows it is set at scalding.

Garbage;
Wind yes but debris all over the parking lot, grass ect., garbage left at cans buy elevator door that sits there all day.

Parking lot hogs;
Two monthly guests have taken over the parking lot one has a car and 2 pickup trucks the other with 3 compact cars, there are no spaces for trucks with an average truck taking up 4 car spaces, and a van with trailer 5. In addition, there are 3 abandoned cars in the parking lot 2 with 4 flat tires each one with no tags and a tag of 2008.

"AWFUL-Unsafe"
Yes, more than one suicide committed here, last 2012

“Not My Favorite”
Yes, only enough towels and sheets for one changeover a lot with holes no extras pillows, bedspreads, shower curtains ect. Red roof channel lineup DirecTV by Lodge Net, mole not mouse, no lobby checkout sign or law card on door.

“A+ Staff in D+ Facility”
Yes part time maintenance man, upper floor railing rusting out and pulling away from the building, headboard to wide for room, bath mats 18" x 22". Non-smoking rooms if any rented by smokers who smoke in front of their door.

“Great Staff but Older Building”
Yes no security for windows

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Problems, problems, problems. I had enough to fill an Everly Brothers song. The staff of the Red Roof were quick to jump to the rescue, however. Anyone who stays here should consider the staff first and the facilities a distant second.

To begin with, the building needs some serious renovation. The first room I was in (I ended up in three rooms in about a 24-hour span, if that tells you anything) had no thermostat control button on the heater. That wasn't good, considering the unseasonably cold weather Chicago was experiencing during my trip. (The remote didn't work, either, but manually turning a TV on and off is secondary to working heat when it's so cold outside that a baseball game had to be postponed.) Since there was no maintenance man on duty I was moved to a new room. While this one did have a working thermostat the cosmetic appearance of the room wasn't much of an improvement.

Cosmetics are sorely lacking at the hotel. The exterior shows significant rusting along the metal frames. For all the room upgrading Red Roof has boasted about over the past year or so they seem to be forgetting to make the outside of the rooms look presentable as well. Both of the first two rooms I was in had issues with paint and plaster peeling (and in the second room someone had apparently put a piece of trash in the overhead heating duct just to see how long it would be before the cleaning staff would notice. Whoever did it, you can rest assured they haven't found it yet.). The "king" rooms were cramped, almost to the point of being claustrophobic. The room size would have been much better with a single queen bed than trying to put a king bed in the smaller space. The towels are another serious issue. The "bath mat" is barely big enough to stand on, and its small size (about the same size as two washcloths) might pose more safety problems than it solves.

Something that really concerns me is the problem that came up during the second day of my stay. I began to notice cigarette smoke filtering into my room from another room. Whether it was seeping through the walls or finding its way through the vents from another room is something I couldn't tell. I could only tell that my non-smoking room began to smell as if someone were lighting up in it, which isn't good for someone with a severe allergy to cigarette smoke. Again, the front desk was right on top of things and moved me to another room -- this one a deluxe king that had none of the cosmetic or ventilation problems of the previous rooms.

The staff at this facility simply cannot be beat. They are alert and quick to respond to a problem (and I certainly had enough to do me for a year's worth of traveling during the two days I was there). Such a courteous and attentive staff deserves a better facility.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Have stayed at this inn for many years when here on business.always have had excellent service by all members of staff.room has always been clean and everything in working order or repaired as soon as I notified them.ample parking for auto,s but limited parking for semi.best if noise of highway traffic bothers you to get room on back side of building.overall I would rate this inn as an excellent choice.also price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Shopping center attached to inn for any food and supplies needed.restaurants very close by.best deal...